Overclockers Australia Forums

Overclockers Australia Forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting Help (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Warranty Void Sticker in Australia? (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1228760)

ipv6ready 25th August 2017 3:53 PM

Warranty Void Sticker in Australia?

HI Ocers'

What is the law in Australia in regards to Warranty Void stickers on laptops?

I just bought Laptop and want to upgrade the Ram and storage from...

1. 1 x 16gb to 2 x 16gb
2. Swap out mechanical storage drive to 1 or 2tb SSD

It isnt one of the easy excess laptop but looking at youtube it is quite doable, it is very similar to GS63VR.

I did ask MSI but they are being cagey with their answer, and want me to Post it to them for $80 fee. I dont mind $80 but the time wasted is an issue.
Furthermore it comes with standard 3 years warranty so if it does void my warranty I might just bite the bullet and send it to them.

https://www.msi.com/Workstation/WS63...#hero-overview which is the same as https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS63VR-7R...-specification

And the GS63VR have plenty of vid on youtube on how to do it.

thanks all.

Cryogenic 25th August 2017 4:12 PM

They can put one on. Breaking it doesn't void your warranty. What it does is open you up to proving the breaking of that sticker hasn't caused a failure should one occur. Question you need to ask yourself is whether you're happy to take that on or not.

Laptops these days have separate compartments that allow you to upgrade the ram and hard drive without having to pull the entire cover off. Is yours like that or not?

ipv6ready 25th August 2017 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryogenic (Post 17643447)
They can put one on. Breaking it doesn't void your warranty. What it does is open you up to proving the breaking of that sticker hasn't caused a failure should one occur. Question you need to ask yourself is whether you're happy to take that on or not.

Laptops these days have separate compartments that allow you to upgrade the ram and hard drive without having to pull the entire cover off. Is yours like that or not?

I presumed it would, seems silly that $4300 laptop does not.
But to be fair to msi it is "thin" for the equipment level.

Beavis_Wolf 25th August 2017 5:28 PM

It's not just the $80 postage but the amount they will charge for the parts?

Kurosaki 25th August 2017 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryogenic (Post 17643447)

MSI laptops are notorious for having to remove a shit load of screws and popping covers to get into the guts.

FOTW 25th August 2017 6:51 PM

Do you supply the parts and they install for the $80 fee? If so that's not a bad deal, you keep manufactures warranty on laptop (excluding the supplied parts) as well as having it installed by the manufacture as well who should do a proper job and know what they are doing.

In my work a get quite a few people who decide to upgrade their laptop on their own and end up missing a screw and breaking amount when prying apart, or tearing a ribbon cable that connects, keyboard, mouse or buttons for top panel to the MB. Also putting screws of different lengths/width into the incorrect holes and end up screwing them into the pcb (Asus is notorious for this using 3 different length screws for the base assembly.)

For $80 on such a expensive laptop I would pay them to do the job.

power 25th August 2017 7:44 PM

Completely unenforceable.

FOTW 25th August 2017 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power (Post 17643643)
Completely unenforceable.

It does provide evidence that the unit has been tampered with, and makes it much harder to make a claim in the Magistrates court if something goes wrong.

If there is evidence that the goods have been tampered with the judge will take that into consideration and either dismiss claim out right or may reduce the value of the claim. ie $2000 laptop they may only order $500 of compensation as there is evidence of tampering with device.

Also warranty void sticker means that the warranty is void with manufacture, don't expect the manufacture to sort out any issues if the label is broken. it doesn't mean that your warranty or statutory rights are gone with whom you purchased it from ie the retailer.

However it will give them a much better case to refuse warranty if something does die in the laptop later down the line.

FOTW 25th August 2017 8:10 PM

Also here is a bit of advice for you guys if you are going to break a warranty void seal. (Mods feel free to remove this as if anyone does go to court for doing this they will be perjuring themselves.)

Firstly remove the sticker fully and clean away any evidence that there was a sticker to begin with, you can always claim that they mustn't have put one on in the factory.

Secondly keep any parts you replaced ie if you swapped out standard HDD for a SSD keep the old HDD, just in case you need to put it back in again.

Thirdly remove any parts you may have added lets say it had 4Gb of RAM and you added a extra 4GB stick them remove the one you added.

From my experience most manufactures are cool with you adding or upgrading parts as long as you don't try to claim for those parts ie if the SSD you upgraded fails don't try to claim for the SSD. Also if you do damage something while doing the upgrade dont expect a warranty on the unit.

power 25th August 2017 8:21 PM

Is this advice or talking out your arse? Just like store policies a warranty void sticker is not a valid way to void warranty or trample on consumer rights.

FOTW 25th August 2017 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power (Post 17643684)
Is this advice or talking out your arse? Just like store policies a warranty void sticker is not a valid way to void warranty or trample on consumer rights.

I never said it voids you statutory rights however it will make your case much harder to present if you decide to take the retailer to court. You can by all means still take the seller to court regardless of what ever has occurred to your device.

However it will be taken into consideration by the judge that the unit has been opened and tampered with.

And yes been to court 30-40 times for consumer claims and win the majority of them. Most of them are liquid damage, however had several were people have opened up their laptops/tablets/consoles and damaged the internals when trying to upgrade or fix units.

In one case customer upgraded RAM and the RAM chip they used killed the RAM slot on MB, or maybe slot was faulty and killed the RAM. Any way because customer didn't have RAM installed by professional he didn't get full value to claim. We offered customer a very good discount on a new laptop and judge decided that the offer we gave was a fair offer.

power 25th August 2017 9:00 PM

If the customer causes damage that's fine but the sticker doesn't mean shit.

ipv6ready 25th August 2017 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beavis_Wolf (Post 17643506)
It's not just the $80 postage but the amount they will charge for the parts?

Msi is just Charing a fee. I can supply the part.

FOTW 25th August 2017 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power (Post 17643712)
If the customer causes damage that's fine but the sticker doesn't mean shit.

It does and doesn't.

I think people get confused and confuse manufactures warranty and statutory rights.

A manufactures warranty or guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights, its basically the manufacture warranting the item for X amount of time against Y type of faults. Breaking one of these stickers may void the warranty with the manufacture (some manufactures don't mind so much others are very strict about it.).

However luckily your statutory rights is between you and the seller (retailer) and not a warranty between you and manufacture. So while yes breaking the sticker voids the manufactures warranty, it doesn't effect your statutory rights between you and the seller. Therefore you can ask for redress from the seller as its between you and them.

The seller can then offer a few outcomes, either repair item, full or partial refund goods, replace goods, or refuse any redress if they feel unit has been damaged by customer.

If customer is not happy with this they can then take case to small claims court to let a judge decide the best outcome.

I'm not sure how it works if you bought item direct from manufacture ie from Apples Stores/website, however if they refuse warranty and your not happy take them to court. Just bare in mind that they may use the broken seal as evidence that internals have been tampered with and a judge will take that into account.

Just saying be careful what you do that is all.

FOTW 25th August 2017 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipv6ready (Post 17643721)
Msi is just Charing a fee. I can supply the part.

That's not a bad price. It is a pricey machine even though I do work like this myself I would get them to do it. I mean one slip of a screw driver or a static discharge or even a wrong sized screw back in the incorrect place and that could be end of machine. You have the option there for them to do it and if their tech stuffs up and accidentally messes up the MB or a ribbon cable they have to repair the damage.

If it was a cheap machine I would do it myself, or something I work on allot that i have good knowledge off I would do it myself.

As mentioned your statutory rights wont be broken but could make a claim harder.