Overclockers Australia Forums

Overclockers Australia Forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/index.php)
-   Photography & Video (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Photography forum Code of Conduct (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=566946)

plasticbastard 17th April 2007 8:17 PM

Photography forum Code of Conduct

Hi guys, I've been commenting and following along in this thread in which f@rmboy suggested a code of conduct may be a good idea. I agree with this completely (although I think it sad that we can't just use common sense and courtesy like adults can), and as such have created a few. These are just some thoughts which I've placed in the Wiki, available here.

They are also posted below for your info:

Code of Conduct
  • I will provide a positive contribution to the Photography forum.
  • I will not attack, troll, or slander a person, nor will I be offensive or make derogatory comments about models, or other forum members.
  • I will respect that every member of this forum has the right to share their opinion and I will treat others with respect and courtesy, as I would also like to be treated with the same respect and courtesy.
  • Avoid derailing threads, bumping old threads.
  • I don't have to comment on a photo if I don't like it. If I do, I will not attack the poster, nor make offensive or derogatory comments, but will respectfully state my opinion.
  • I will not attempt to troll, nor actively spam these forums.
  • I will search the forums before posting another 'what tripod to buy', or 'what DSLR is for me' thread, or other similar threads.
  • The moderators decision/s are final.
  • I will respect the copyright of other members and will not reproduce the photo under any circumstances unless I have their express permission.
  • Most importantly, I will have fun!

Vendor, Paid Events & Group Buy Code of Conduct - DRAFT FOR REVIEW/COMMENT
  • Follow any relevant forum rules and or decisions made by the moderators.
  • For not-for-profit events, disclose all costs up front within 48 hours of posting.
  • State clearly all terms as regard to the event and costs.
  • Provide contact details to answer any questions - contact methods accepted are either e-mail or phone/fax. Please be prompt in reply.
  • Act in a professional manner at all times.
  • When advertising specials, please be clear on expiration dates, who it applies to, promo codes, etc.
  • If you have a vendor account, please note that your comments made while using your account do carry some weight with forum members, whether intentional or not. If you are going to post a new topic, or reply in existing topics in a non representative role, it might be better to not use your vendor account.

f@rmboy 17th April 2007 8:25 PM

Great start Plasticbastard. Especially the last item.

Fortigurn 17th April 2007 8:29 PM

f@rmboy approves. :p

So do I. Great idea. :thumbup:

gatecrasher 17th April 2007 8:30 PM

Sounds like common sense to me, given we are mostly mature adults here I reckon it should just go without saying. But if people really need more rules & guidelines to read then by all means don't let me get in the way of writing them :)

Zzapped 17th April 2007 8:33 PM

Excellent, now just give me the ban stick so I can enforce it :), seriously I think its an excellent idea and with a bit of refining and input from a few more we can develop a great code of conduct for the Photography forums :thumbup:

Cheers

Z

Sir Ghallahad 17th April 2007 8:37 PM

Looks and sounds good, and I agree with it all. But how is this at all enforceable? I mean really, what are the chances of the several hundred people following this?

Scratchy 17th April 2007 8:47 PM

How about.

Photography is as much as art form as it is a science. Just because a photo isn't technically good doesn't mean it isn't good. Some of the best photos break fundamental rules of photography. Because it's part art, you may not appreciate a photo. Look for the good as well as the bad if offering criticism.

plasticbastard 17th April 2007 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchy (Post 7179048)
How about.

Photography is as much as art form as it is a science. Just because a photo isn't technically good doesn't mean it isn't good. Some of the best photos break fundamental rules of photography. Because it's part art, you may not appreciate a photo. Look for the good as well as the bad if offering criticism.

Sure, is this an addition or an edit? Feel free to update the wiki page, but let me know so I can update this list here.

Thanks guys :)

FranchiseJuan 17th April 2007 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasticbastard (Post 7178891)
Most importantly, I will have fun!

I am sorry, but if the people on this forum need a code of conduct to regulate their conduct, and don't have the common sense to know most of these points already, then there is probably not much fun left to be had here. :(

oli 17th April 2007 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranchiseJuan (Post 7179127)
I am sorry, but if the people on this forum need a code of conduct to regulate their conduct, and don't have the common sense to know most of these points already, then there is probably not much fun left to be had here. :(

It's only a small minority who do though.

FranchiseJuan 17th April 2007 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli (Post 7179287)
It's only a small minority who do though.

So ignore or ban them. Problem solved.

oli 17th April 2007 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranchiseJuan (Post 7179342)
So ignore or ban them. Problem solved.

I don't really get upset by them, and I think the repeat offenders have all had their stint in the ban box...

That's not to say banning them wouldn't work either. But neither of us are mods so that is not up to us. :)

djjc 17th April 2007 9:49 PM

I just added a guide to critique...i just said this in the other thread, then realised this thread was started...whoops!

plasticbastard 17th April 2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjc (Post 7179405)
I just added a guide to critique...i just said this in the other thread, then realised this thread was started...whoops!

Thanks djjc - I hope you don't mind that I've edited it a bit.

I've also added Scratchy's suggestion to the wiki & the list here.

djjc 17th April 2007 10:52 PM

Good call on both counts.

It was a rushed job, procrastinating from assignments :(