Overclockers Australia Forums

Overclockers Australia Forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/index.php)
-   PC Games (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Diablo 3/RoS Discussions / CLAN / PTR 2.1 LIVE (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=692070)

jET_M@X 20th February 2012 7:22 PM

The people whining the loudest are probably the ones first in the queue at the midnight launches to pick up their collector's edition of D3.
All the haters say they'll boycott it but will still end up buying it anyways to play with mates.

Vaempyr 20th February 2012 8:59 PM

The issue arising out of D2’s implementation of skill trees and systems was this: too many people burned their skills too early, and had to re-start, hoarding skills as long as they could before assigning them in a rush to match with (a) experience from the last play-through (b) items, (c) online guide or (d) all of the above. Thos who skipped straight to (c) might have been immune to this issue, of course.

The flip side was that the D2 skill system allowed for huge numbers of permutations - if you weren’t interested in what some person on the internet thought was the “optimal” build, you could create and recreate your character hundreds of ways. And even if you accepted some of the advice from those people who knew about “optimal” builds, you could still build a fire sorc one time, and a blizzard sorc the next.

D3 had two options: D2 with better graphics etc., or a new game that tried to keep some of the feel of D2. Leaving the skill system to one side, I think Blizzard have done a pretty good job at updating the game whilst keeping the D2 feel - hack and slash, gather items, sell what you don’t want, etc.

A flexible skill system is, IMHO, the best alternative to a fixed D2-style tree. Maybe unlimited resets, or resets for a gold cost, would have been a compromise. But the idea what you need to tweak your skill set on the fly seems to be a not-so-bad way of doing it.

The problem - and I’m new to the beta - is that I’m not sure Blizzard have found the right balance between a dynamic, think-about-how-to-approach-this-particular-battle system, and a dumbed-down, handed to you on a platter, system.

And, even when they might have got the balance right, the interface has to match so that it’s intuitive and workable.

Rune words were one of my favourite parts of D2, but I’m too early into the beta to have even come across a socketed weapon, let alone anything to put into those sockets. The idea of using runes to modify skills isn’t a bad one, but the management of that system needs to be tight, too. Again, gifting runes is probably not the answer, unless it’s done in such a way to keep it interesting somehow … but I suspect those “gifting” and “interesting” might be mutually exclusive.

I’ll hopefully get a chance to have a look at beta 13 soon, and see what this latest attempt looks and plays like.

Thor 20th February 2012 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaempyr (Post 14103342)
The issue arising out of D2’s implementation of skill trees and systems was this: too many people burned their skills too early, and had to re-start, hoarding skills as long as they could before assigning them in a rush to match with (a) experience from the last play-through (b) items, (c) online guide or (d) all of the above. Thos who skipped straight to (c) might have been immune to this issue, of course.

The flip side was that the D2 skill system allowed for huge numbers of permutations - if you weren’t interested in what some person on the internet thought was the “optimal” build, you could create and recreate your character hundreds of ways.

Correct. To quote the developer;

Quote:

Stat progression as a system is very difficult for a lot of players to understand because you get these 5 points, but you don’t exactly know where to put them or what benefit you’re getting with them. You might make some obvious choices, for example, with Diablo II’s Sorceress, you might put all of your points into energy because that’s the obvious choice, right? Except that for almost every build out there, you’ve just made the wrong choice.

Any system where you have to go up onto the Internet to figure out what the right answer is, is not a good customization system. Any system where there’s a “right” answer is not a good system for customization.

auApex 22nd February 2012 12:31 PM

Has there been any word from Blizzard on the projected release date? If not, is all we have the usual 'when it's done' or are there any rumours that seem likely? Can't wait to play this game!

Zabba 22nd February 2012 1:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auApex (Post 14108783)
Has there been any word from Blizzard on the projected release date? If not, is all we have the usual 'when it's done' or are there any rumours that seem likely? Can't wait to play this game!

No, not yet just the typical "when it's ready".

People were betting on release during Blizzcon, but the company said that there was not going to be a Blizzcon this year.

Other rummors say that Blizzard is only going to focus on one release for this year, which is not good news considering that at the moment they have WoW and Starcraft 2 in the oven too.

They are still teaking a lot of features and UI's so I don't have my hopes up for anytime soon this year.

soulblade64 22nd February 2012 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auApex (Post 14108783)

They're now aiming for a Q2 release from what I heard.

Thor 22nd February 2012 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabba (Post 14109022)
Other rummors say that Blizzard is only going to focus on one release for this year, which is not good news considering that at the moment they have WoW and Starcraft 2 in the oven too.

There was a stakeholders meeting a few weeks ago for Activision Blizzard's Q4 2011 financial figures. During this it was announced that the official line is two titles to be released by Blizzard in 2012 (D3 being one), with the possibility of more releases.

Up for debate whether the second title is SC2:HotS or WoW expansion.

Zabba 22nd February 2012 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor (Post 14109432)
There was a stakeholders meeting a few weeks ago for Activision Blizzard's Q4 2011 financial figures. During this it was announced that the official line is two titles to be released by Blizzard in 2012 (D3 being one), with the possibility of more releases.

Thanks for the clarification :thumbup:

Macross 23rd February 2012 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor (Post 14109432)

It would be unlikely for the second to not be the WoW expansion considering the game is still the 'flagship' of the company.

MulderAU 23rd February 2012 9:13 PM

Yeah , no Blizzcon on this year either .

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1217196p1.html

auApex 24th February 2012 9:05 AM

Pretty great that Diablo 3 will come out this year. It's been a long time between drinks for Diablo!

Thor 24th February 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macross (Post 14114209)
It would be unlikely for the second to not be the WoW expansion considering the game is still the 'flagship' of the company.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if they went for another 10 months with no expansion considering there are not meant to be any more major patches to Cataclysm.

I just also want to continue the SC2 campaign... :P

Davez621 24th February 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor (Post 14115725)
Agreed. I'd be surprised if they went for another 10 months with no expansion considering there are not meant to be any more major patches to Cataclysm.

I just also want to continue the SC2 campaign... :P

Quite sad that we have to wait till next year for the SC2 expansion, but I never could picture Blizzard releasing 3 big titles in 1 year. That means 2016 until Legacy of the Void. Sigh.

Kaji 24th February 2012 11:30 AM

4th WoW xpac (Mists of Pandaria) is a almost-certainty (as much as can be for Blizz) - the internal alpha has started already, Friends and Family alpha is within the next couple of weeks, and the beta not too far away.

D3 by June, MoP by July (more a hope than a guess), Heart of the Swarm by Dec for the Christmas rush? (or Jan/Feb if they miss it)

Blizz know if they delay MoP too long, that players will simply up and quit, and WoW certainly does make them a hojillion dollars each second.

Autti 25th February 2012 1:22 PM

D3 release date will come out in the next month with certainty, i predict in the next two weeks. Mark my words :)