Overclockers Australia Forums

Overclockers Australia Forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/index.php)
-   PC Games (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Diablo 3/RoS Discussions / CLAN / PTR 2.1 LIVE (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=692070)


Zenskas 6th March 2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walker_2003 (Post 14152828)
It's the tight ass people who put prices up in Australia.

Woah, hold up. So the people that don't want to pay ridiculous amounts of money on new release games at their local EB are putting prices up *more*??? Remember it's not only about the value compared to other forms of entertainment, it's about the value compared to the rest of the world/online import shops which provide the exact same thing. That is what makes more people hesitant to pay "Aussie tax".
It's the kids that buy $200 collectors editions that come with shitty Chinese toys included (cods) that make EB go "hmm these fools are happy to pay a shitload, let's continue doing this".

Now if a game is awesome, you are financially able to buy it and you don't care about the value compared to digital/online shops/overseas then there is nothing wrong with paying $100 locally for a game you pretty much know you will enjoy for a long time. But don't blame the tight asses for putting prices up :thumbup:

Autti 6th March 2012 11:24 AM

I pre-ordered my collectors edition from game.com.au way back and got it for $140 i think

walker_2003 6th March 2012 12:19 PM

Fair points zenskas but I think the massive jump in online overseas purchasing due to being cheaper has forced local prices up to keep stakeholders happy. It's a vicious cycle.

I can understand trying to save a penny for most games, but diablo 3 I would think most would buy the guaranteed safest most legit way for Aussies to ensure proper experience.

Philll 6th March 2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walker_2003 (Post 14153170)
Fair points zenskas but I think the massive jump in online overseas purchasing due to being cheaper has forced local prices up to keep stakeholders happy.

What?

I remember buying Final Fantasy 8 in 1999 for $120 locally, that was the best I could get. I bought Deus Ex for $99 in 2000.

Prices have not been driven up at all, they have become much much cheaper in comparison to what they used to be, especially with more local stores whereas once upon a time it was just Gameswizards/Gamesmen and a few other small places selling games only

They're still expensive compared to the rest of the world but in no way have prices gone up

soulblade64 6th March 2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philll (Post 14153247)
What?

I remember buying Final Fantasy 9 in 1999 for $120 locally, that was the best I could get. I bought Deus Ex for $99 in 2000.

Prices have not been driven up at all, they have become much much cheaper in comparison to what they used to be, especially with more local stores whereas once upon a time it was just Gameswizards/Gamesmen and a few other small places selling games only

They're still expensive compared to the rest of the world but in no way have prices gone up

Indeed, shopping smart has a lot of factors to do with it, I bought Gears 3 on release day for $68 from Kmart, ozgameshop was $60 with a 2 week wait (Since I had 3 days off work, waiting was not an option!).

I doubt we'll ever see parity with the EU prices, but if people stop buying from the major chains something will have to change.

Zenskas 6th March 2012 12:59 PM

Pretty much what Philll said, and for new release console games prices are very much the same because of the fact people continue to buy them for that price. PC don't have to pay as much but still a fair bit.

Now that more people are going online etc we have seen some small drops in price in the past year or two. So it's pretty much the opposite, if EB are lowering the prices on games sooner after release then it's because of those tight asses that would rather get the same thing far cheaper elsewhere :)

Davez621 6th March 2012 1:30 PM

I agree - it is the people who go out and pay full price who are the ones responsible for the stores keeping the prices so high in this country. I used to sometimes pay full price back in the "old" days, because once you finished a game you could sell it and get most of your money back. These days you're forced to keep the game forever.

hosh0 6th March 2012 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14153475)
I agree - it is the people who go out and pay full price who are the ones responsible for the stores keeping the prices so high in this country. I used to sometimes pay full price back in the "old" days, because once you finished a game you could sell it and get most of your money back. These days you're forced to keep the game forever.

Why are you forced to keep it?

Philll 6th March 2012 1:50 PM

Games tied to a Steam account you mean?

soulblade64 6th March 2012 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hosh0 (Post 14153555)
Why are you forced to keep it?

Steamworks registration, battle.net registration, origin registration?

PC games are rarely able to be sold onward nowadays.

Console games are to an extent, but once you buy them the second hand market value for them drops so fast there's no point.

Zenskas 6th March 2012 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulblade64 (Post 14153582)
Steamworks registration, battle.net registration, origin registration?

PC games are rarely able to be sold onward nowadays.

Console games are to an extent, but once you buy them the second hand market value for them drops so fast there's no point.

Yeah and lots of PC games have activation limits, as well as being tied to the services you mentioned (and some get tied to GFWL even), and there is always the chance that the CD key could be banned from playing online/certain servers etc. Don't have to worry about games being tied to anything with consoles, and there are no keys to get banned.

Most 1+ year old PC games are really never worth more than $10-$20 second hand imo.

Sebstar 6th March 2012 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulblade64 (Post 14153284)
I doubt we'll ever see parity with the EU prices, but if people stop buying from the major chains something will have to change.

Just to clarify, games aren't that much cheaper in continental europe. Most PC/Xbox/Ps3 games in Austria/Germany cost 50-60 euros, which even at the current exchange rate is expensive, let alone when it's 50 euro cent to an AU$.

steffan72 6th March 2012 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebstar (Post 14153636)
Just to clarify, games aren't that much cheaper in continental europe. Most PC/Xbox/Ps3 games in Austria/Germany cost 50-60 euros, which even at the current exchange rate is expensive, let alone when it's 50 euro cent to an AU$.


1.00 AUD = 0.804732 EUR

Elfanger 6th March 2012 7:53 PM

Is the Diablo 3 beta server down?

NoMorality 6th March 2012 8:36 PM

yep. cant play blizzard games.. so bored


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 1:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.