Overclockers Australia Forums

Overclockers Australia Forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/index.php)
-   PC Games (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Diablo 3/RoS Discussions / CLAN / PTR 2.1 LIVE (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=692070)


Davez621 18th March 2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberio (Post 14189871)
I wish the game would run at 120fps when vsync is on since I have a 120hz monitor. Locked to 60fps when its enabled in game which is strange. When its off, fraps shows 120fps, but the game doesn't seem or look any smoother than when it does at 60fps.

You're joking right? 24 fps is considered fast enough for the human eye, such that it is used in motion pictures. Anything above 30 fps is a waste, IMO.

Tiberio 18th March 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14189967)
You're joking right? 24 fps is considered fast enough for the human eye, such that it is used in motion pictures. Anything above 30 fps is a waste, IMO.

This has been explained over and over again. You can notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps. You can clearly see the difference between 60fps and 120fps. So you would like a monitor that only refreshes at 30fps? how about power, 50hz, want that lowered too? Have all the lights flickering at 30 times a second.

The human visual system does not see in terms of frames; it works with a continuous flow of light information

UPDATE: Just remembered this too, The Hobbit is going to be shown at 48fps. https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter...50222861171558

Also this: http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

walker_2003 18th March 2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14189967)
You're joking right? 24 fps is considered fast enough for the human eye, such that it is used in motion pictures. Anything above 30 fps is a waste, IMO.

Go play battlefield 3 and cap fps to 30 and then cap to 60, if you can't see difference, go to a optometrist.

Bracken_02 18th March 2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14189967)
You're joking right? 24 fps is considered fast enough for the human eye, such that it is used in motion pictures. Anything above 30 fps is a waste, IMO.

Bad example! Film at 24fps still appears smooth because of the natural motion blur captured on film. Go game at 24fps however and you will notice obvious stuttering, because of the lack of blur tricking the eyes into thinking they are seeing fluid motion.

DarkForceMage 18th March 2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walker_2003 (Post 14190051)
Go play battlefield 3 and cap fps to 30 and then cap to 60, if you can't see difference, go to a optometrist.

Was about to say, must not be very good at online fps games if FPS rate doesnt matter to him! :lol:

The test Tiberio linked is amazing, http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
Never really had a realtime test to try for objects in the foreground & background fps rate,, even changing the background from 25 to 120 is tons smoother.

Tiberio 18th March 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkForceMage (Post 14190073)
Was about to say, must not be very good at online fps games if FPS rate doesnt matter to him lol.

The test Tiberio linked is amazing, http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
Never really had a realtime test to try for objects in the foreground & background fps rate,, even changing the background from 25 to 120 is tons smoother.

The 120fps in that test may not work correctly though, theres a circle up in the top right, hover it for information. The browser itself maybe restricting it to 60fps (if its red), as it is for me.

ASASN 18th March 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent (Post 14189898)
Yeah but the CE doesnt have much ingame? (Cept wings & visual stuff?) correct me if im wrong.

This gear, don't care for the WoW or SC2 shit mainly want the CE so it can sit next to my D2 Collectors Ed. :lol:

Davez621 18th March 2012 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracken_02 (Post 14190065)
Bad example! Film at 24fps still appears smooth because of the natural motion blur captured on film. Go game at 24fps however and you will notice obvious stuttering, because of the lack of blur tricking the eyes into thinking they are seeing fluid motion.

TV/DVD (PAL) are 25 fps and look smooth as anything to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberio (Post 14190029)

I use IE8 so that test doesn't work for me. When MS release IE9 for XP I'll give it a go.

Philll 18th March 2012 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14190380)
I use IE8 so that test doesn't work for me. When MS release IE9 for XP I'll give it a go.

:lol:

Other browsers do work in XP you know? IE8 is a dinosaur.

Schumi275 18th March 2012 3:23 PM

Damn servers still down.:mad:. Was looking forward to giving the beta a try this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14190380)
TV/DVD (PAL) are 25 fps and look smooth as anything to me.

Have read of why 25-30fps works for tv and not games :thumbup:

http://joz3d.net/html/fps.html

roamin 18th March 2012 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14189967)
You're joking right? 24 fps is considered fast enough for the human eye, such that it is used in motion pictures. Anything above 30 fps is a waste, IMO.

no offence but you clearly have no idea what your talking about.

why do you think there is 100hz - 200hz and so on in tv's? its not just fps that matters, yet high fps coupled with high hz makes a huge difference.

its about the smoothness of the overall image.

you running xp still and ie8 tells me your not huge into pc's.

as said earlier go play battlefield 3 at 30 fps and 60fps.

if you can not see a difference you really do need your eyes checked. makes a massive difference.

oh and a side note, try google chrome as its one of the most common browsers now days

to back up what im saying please have a LONG read of all this HERE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Link
the concept that there is a maximum possible FPS beyond which the human eye can't distinguish any real difference is not entirely accurate. For more details, see this article and this article among the many which refute this claim. In particular the common claim that "The human eye can't see more than 24 (or 25 or 30 or 60) FPS" is completely false, and is partly borne of the misconception that TV or movie FPS is the same as PC game FPS, and partly possibly borne out of a need to justify lower framerates.


Davez621 18th March 2012 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schumi275 (Post 14190468)
Damn servers still down.:mad:. Was looking forward to giving the beta a try this weekend.



Have read of why 25-30fps works for tv and not games :thumbup:

http://joz3d.net/html/fps.html

Heh, I actually remember reading that article 14 years ago.

Bracken_02 18th March 2012 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davez621 (Post 14190380)
TV/DVD (PAL) are 25 fps and look smooth as anything to me.

Erm, yes, because of the very thing you quoted. Your point is?

Jim-podiatrist 18th March 2012 8:15 PM

beta still down.
Update coming 8am tomorrow morning (just in time for the working week) boerns.

fruxo 18th March 2012 8:29 PM

Heard mention of no SEA servers. Is this official or just what people are assuming? So if we have a midnight sale on the 14th, does that mean we can not play right away but rather have to wait until 5pm or whatever the time is when it is midnight in the US for the servers to get unlocked? Or will they simply unlock the servers early to accommodate for time differences (and take some pressure of the servers as I assume they would have a ridiculous load exactly at midnight)?


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.