Overclockers Australia Forums

Overclockers Australia Forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/index.php)
-   PC Games (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Diablo 3/RoS Discussions / CLAN / PTR 2.1 LIVE (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=692070)

purehybrid 15th September 2011 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misc. (Post 13596114)
still...pvp arena and coop suffer latency issues.

PvP has been stated to be essentially tacked on, and nothing about their game will be changed to benefit pvp, if it impacts anywhere else.

I'm unsure how co op will suffer latency issues if combat is being done client side (with total serverside verification to stop the cheats). You might see some odd positioning of allies occasionally, or their knockbacks might replicate differently to different members of the party, resulting in a bit of monster warp when the server overrules positioning, but I'd imagine it would be rare, and 'softened' with interpolation.

There's a couple of guys over on whirlpool with FnF beta, and said they've had literally 0 issues with lag in normal play.

I'm not sure why the "anti-chicken" feature as you put it, is a bad thing. As you said, it makes hardcore actually hardcore, and will put a stop to those script kiddie cheaters saying they 'beat' hardcore, when really they were unkillable.

Frontl1ne 15th September 2011 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehybrid (Post 13596211)
PvP has been stated to be essentially tacked on, and nothing about their game will be changed to benefit pvp, if it impacts anywhere else.

I'm unsure how co op will suffer latency issues if combat is being done client side (with total serverside verification to stop the cheats). You might see some odd positioning of allies occasionally, or their knockbacks might replicate differently to different members of the party, resulting in a bit of monster warp when the server overrules positioning, but I'd imagine it would be rare, and 'softened' with interpolation.

There's a couple of guys over on whirlpool with FnF beta, and said they've had literally 0 issues with lag in normal play.

I'm not sure why the "anti-chicken" feature as you put it, is a bad thing. As you said, it makes hardcore actually hardcore, and will put a stop to those script kiddie cheaters saying they 'beat' hardcore, when really they were unkillable.

Only combat is client side, the rest like talking to NPCs, looting, etc won't be.

fruxo 15th September 2011 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frontl1ne (Post 13596486)
Only combat is client side, the rest like talking to NPCs, looting, etc won't be.

I don't see how that even matters to be honest, 200ms won't make any difference in these cases, it's not like you'll lose any loot or quests or something.

The only problem I see is hardcore. I played lots and lots of hardcore in D2 (and was planning on doing this again from the get go with D3), but even though I lived in sweden with the server literally around the corner, I still had the occassional lag spikes.. I usually survived (though not always :() due to the character dropping out of the game quickly, but I'm nervous about this delay to leave the game. It's fine when everything is working well, but I wonder how it will behave in terms of lag/drop-outs. Will be impossible to play hardcore if you die everytime you get a spike (which is inevitable).

purehybrid 16th September 2011 9:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frontl1ne (Post 13596486)

I'm not sure how that relates to anything I posted. What are you trying to say?

mr_mordred2095 16th September 2011 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruxo (Post 13597042)
I don't see how that even matters to be honest, 200ms won't make any difference in these cases, it's not like you'll lose any loot or quests or something.

The only problem I see is hardcore. I played lots and lots of hardcore in D2 (and was planning on doing this again from the get go with D3), but even though I lived in sweden with the server literally around the corner, I still had the occassional lag spikes.. I usually survived (though not always :() due to the character dropping out of the game quickly, but I'm nervous about this delay to leave the game. It's fine when everything is working well, but I wonder how it will behave in terms of lag/drop-outs. Will be impossible to play hardcore if you die everytime you get a spike (which is inevitable).

I hope they make a forced 20s wait on logout, just for people like you :)

lothloriel 16th September 2011 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_mordred2095 (Post 13599759)
I hope they make a forced 20s wait on logout, just for people like you :)

Logging out in diablo is like trying to divide a number by zero. You just don't do it. :p

Frontl1ne 16th September 2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruxo (Post 13597042)

It's unnecessary in a single player game...

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehybrid (Post 13598245)
I'm not sure how that relates to anything I posted. What are you trying to say?

I was trying to point out that lag wasn't just a problem in combat.

No doubt Blizzard will have to have weekly server maintenance too.

But regardless, I will still play the game and if it turns out to be a flop I'll just boycott the rest of the series as I did with MW2.

Zoltag 17th September 2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho84 (Post 13594110)
Do you really think that single player lag, which I'm hearing is pretty damn annoying in the game, is not something we should complain about?

Btw, it was pretty easy to die in Diablo with lag. Better predict that potion drinking just right!

I'm saying wait until you actually play the game. I dont think that a lag time difference of 0.15 seconds will be noticeable.

I didnt play Diablo online at all, but in the single player game, I never found the timing of drinking potions came down to a window of less than 0.15 seconds. The type of lag that would affect this would be measured in the seconds, rather than the 1/10 of seconds. Either way, its a moot point, as there are no potions in D3.

fruxo 19th September 2011 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frontl1ne (Post 13600655)
It's unnecessary in a single player game...

Hmm, just out of curiosity, have blizzard explicitly stated that D3 is a singleplayer game? It's just that I've heard this argument before, and it confuses me :)

Especially since there's a whole MMORPG genre that is online only AND you have to pay to pay. I think of diablo as some sort of light version in between a normal game and an MMORPG. But that's just me of course :) I'm pretty impressed by what they can deliver without having to charge monthly fees to be honest.

flinchy 20th September 2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruxo (Post 13608196)
Hmm, just out of curiosity, have blizzard explicitly stated that D3 is a singleplayer game? It's just that I've heard this argument before, and it confuses me :)

Especially since there's a whole MMORPG genre that is online only AND you have to pay to pay. I think of diablo as some sort of light version in between a normal game and an MMORPG. But that's just me of course :) I'm pretty impressed by what they can deliver without having to charge monthly fees to be honest.

it has multi 110% confirmed

having a pvp arena without multi is illogical?

plus in loads of the videos, there are multiple player characters on screen.

flinchy 20th September 2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misc. (Post 13591880)
wrong! hardcore mode?

a significant part of the playing experience is in jeopardy for a lot of Australian gamers.

things like teleporting out of the way, dodging projectiles etc. is simply not possible with 200ms+ lag.

playing d2 i get 219ms to blizz classic west server, 260 to east. playing with even 219ms in a single passworded game by myself on bnet is far and away different from just playing SP offline. This was the only way I rolled hardcore, playing by myself in a safe lag free environment.

however, d3 is going to be on the same hardware as sc2. so i can expect 240-260ms to the US sc2 server, or 230-250 on the SEA server.

due to the speed of light through fibre optic cable/whatever else is in the way there is an inherent delay of about 140ms minimum from here in adelaide to the servers in the US plus delays from ISPs/switching/routing etc.

Hopefully there is a cracked version of the game where i can emulate the server locally on my computer, but i do not think we will be seeing that anytime soon.

you get 240-260 ms playing sc2? shiiit

i'm way under 200, i can't say exactly, but i'm guessing 150-180

sometimes it's not good yeah, but most of the time it's lightning snappy.

maxwolfie 20th September 2011 11:44 AM

I'm a bit taken back that we will hit the level cap at the same time Hell is finished.. One of the best things about D2 was finishing the game 60-70 and then running shit over and over again for items/xp etc. IMO it will really take away from the game if you can easily hit the cap.

Velicoma 20th September 2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwolfie (Post 13610012)
I'm a bit taken back that we will hit the level cap at the same time Hell is finished.. One of the best things about D2 was finishing the game 60-70 and then running shit over and over again for items/xp etc. IMO it will really take away from the game if you can easily hit the cap.

Maybe. But because builds are more about gear now than levels, I don't think that will be the case.

F88 20th September 2011 1:37 PM

Won't be an issue if there is sufficient end-game content.

misc. 20th September 2011 5:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEq1MgRM054

they have progressed further on emulating the game. you can now get into town and walk around!