View Single Post
Old 28th August 2011, 12:11 AM   #36
mike-s

Man, totally forgot about laptops *facepalm*
Oldest to Newest:
Toshiba Libretto 50CT, this is a Pentium 75, and unfortunately has the LBA quirk where it can only go up to about a 8.4gb drive or so, currently running a microdrive pulled from a defunct Ipod in a compact flash -> ide adaptor to increase battery life and also reduce the quantity of heat generated as the battery used to be a massive hotspot on it previously. It runs alright, currently has Win98 on it. I would like to get my hands on a memory upgrade to get it to a whopping 32meg of ram, but as this is from the era where custom memory form-factors were common, this can be a pain in the arse to get hold of. I'll get one eventually though.

Next up, a Dell CPi, all Pentium 1, 233MHz of grunt.totally forgot i had it and found it while hunting for the power supply for the 50CT tonight.

IBM R30, Pentium 3, 1GHz. This is from the time when they really hadn't acknowledged the whole "thermal dissipation" concept in laptops and the only air going through the laptop was through the heatsink, thusly this was less a laptop and more a lap-localised-cooker.

Toshiba Satellite A65. A 3GHz Pentium 4 HT cpu packed into a laptop chassis. This thing had a massive pro, and a massive con. The former was the fact it is by far the clearest and largest screen i have ever had the pleasure of using on a laptop. Con: Power usage & thermal limitations. Having 2 fans running full time wasn't really quite enough to keep this thing from having a meltdown without a fan-pad underneath. Using a watt-meter i measured this thing at 65w idle and a giant 115w at full load. Hasn't been turned on in anger in about 18 months.

Here's a pic of the 50CT i took tonight, note the 20cent piece on the battery/wristrest for size comparison.

Sony Vaio Club Member #21

Last edited by mike-s; 28th August 2011 at 12:13 AM.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote