Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15th July 2009, 8:03 AM   #61
Rass
Member
 
Rass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brizbekistan
Posts: 2,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWally View Post
Oh, and to Rass who asseted that the .416 Barret is the only centrefire you should use on foxes...you are a moron (really hope that was a sarcastic comment on your part). Friend of my father's just gave away his custom made .416 Rigby to a friend because it was only really useful for shooting buffalo in the NT, Aus. Yes, foxes and water buffalo are a different size...*shock*
I don't appreciate being called a moron, I'd like an apology.
Rass is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th July 2009, 9:44 AM   #62
GooSE
Member
 
GooSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWally View Post
Oh, and to Rass who asseted that the .416 Barret is the only centrefire you should use on foxes...you are a moron (really hope that was a sarcastic comment on your part). Friend of my father's just gave away his custom made .416 Rigby to a friend because it was only really useful for shooting buffalo in the NT, Aus. Yes, foxes and water buffalo are a different size...*shock*
Your sarcasm detector is busted. You should look at having it repaired.
GooSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 2:32 PM   #63
Merudo
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BNE
Posts: 5,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWally View Post
Thinking of getting my NT shooters license at the end of the year (would like to do some pig and goose hunting in the NT and have several uncles with large properties in Queensland who'll let me shoot hares, foxes and cats on their land) and am seriously considering a camel hunting trip to central Australia if my father has a more reliable 4WD by Christmas. Oh, and to Rass who asseted that the .416 Barret is the only centrefire you should use on foxes...you are a moron (really hope that was a sarcastic comment on your part). Friend of my father's just gave away his custom made .416 Rigby to a friend because it was only really useful for shooting buffalo in the NT, Aus. Yes, foxes and water buffalo are a different size...*shock*

Sarcasm detector broken much?


Hurley, if you have a look at the link I posted earlier, you don't need two references, you only need the owner of the property to sign an annexure of your application stating your "genuine reason" for owning a firearm is to use it to shoot recreationally on their property

That's all...
__________________
< Agg> i had one of those mceurope things a couple of days ago, and it was a fucking joke
< Agg> which part of europe is that meant to signify? postwar dresden?

Last edited by Merudo; 15th July 2009 at 3:50 PM.
Merudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 3:48 PM   #64
RandomWally
Member
 
RandomWally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane 4101
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rass View Post
I don't appreciate being called a moron, I'd like an apology.
Lol sorry mate, realised it was a sarcastic comment but I was posting drunk. Always a bad idea

Edit: And after some of the random clips I've seen on youtube, I'm fairly confident that some people would use a .416 Barret on foxes and consider it sporting .

Last edited by RandomWally; 15th July 2009 at 3:57 PM.
RandomWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 4:09 PM   #65
GooSE
Member
 
GooSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,740
Default

I laugh at your .416 Barrett.

.700 Nitro Express is what all the cool kids use for fox hunting.

GooSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 4:23 PM   #66
Merudo
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BNE
Posts: 5,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWally View Post
Lol sorry mate, realised it was a sarcastic comment but I was posting drunk. Always a bad idea

Edit: And after some of the random clips I've seen on youtube, I'm fairly confident that some people would use a .416 Barret on foxes and consider it sporting .

well it's not going to feel pain i guess, so it's still humane if you consider turning a fox into a cloud of red mist humane haha

Seriously though, I do agree with you though. target shooting with that thing would be pretty fun though! Expensive rifle but


does anyone have a picture of the round from one of those .700 rifles?

that would be INSANE....

not legal in aus either, is it?
__________________
< Agg> i had one of those mceurope things a couple of days ago, and it was a fucking joke
< Agg> which part of europe is that meant to signify? postwar dresden?

Last edited by Merudo; 15th July 2009 at 4:26 PM.
Merudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 4:30 PM   #67
RandomWally
Member
 
RandomWally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane 4101
Posts: 900
Default

Lahti_L-39 fires a 20mm bullet (approximately .78 calibre). Think it's considered to be about the limit for shoulder fired weapons (though I wouldn't want to be the one firing it )



Found a picture of the actual cartridge:


Click to view full size!


20mm Lahti on the left, 50 BMG on the right, 223 at the front

Last edited by RandomWally; 15th July 2009 at 4:54 PM.
RandomWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 4:32 PM   #68
GooSE
Member
 
GooSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
does anyone have a picture of the round from one of those .700 rifles?

that would be INSANE....
GooSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 5:08 PM   #69
dasicvtec
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NSW
Posts: 435
Default

Can anyone tell me the reason why we first even had firearms allowed in Australia with the license ?
__________________
The Chupacabra Killa.
dasicvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 5:14 PM   #70
Alper
Member
 
Alper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 3060
Posts: 2,354
Default

on the smaller side of the scale i just picked up my new .22 CZ

Click to view full size!


cant wait to take it fox hunting!
__________________
[AFK]TurkishMunkey
AFK Clan - Currently Recruiting for BF4 - Drop me a PM!
Alper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 6:11 PM   #71
GooSE
Member
 
GooSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasicvtec View Post
Can anyone tell me the reason why we first even had firearms allowed in Australia with the license ?
You haven't made yourself very clear. Do you mean why we allowed firearms in Australia period, or why we introduced firearms licences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alper View Post
on the smaller side of the scale i just picked up my new .22 CZ
pix

cant wait to take it fox hunting!
Good choice. What's that, a 452 American?
GooSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 6:25 PM   #72
dasicvtec
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NSW
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooSE View Post
You haven't made yourself very clear. Do you mean why we allowed firearms in Australia period, or why we introduced firearms licences?
Sorry, I mean to say

Does anyone know why we were allowed to have firearms without license's previously ?
__________________
The Chupacabra Killa.
dasicvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 6:36 PM   #73
EMupp
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasicvtec View Post
Sorry, I mean to say

Does anyone know why we were allowed to have firearms without license's previously ?
The same reason we didn't need licenses for anything before they were introduced, there was not a perceived need by government for one. Unless I also misunderstood your question?
EMupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 6:53 PM   #74
GooSE
Member
 
GooSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMupp View Post
The same reason we didn't need licenses for anything before they were introduced, there was not a perceived need by government for one. Unless I also misunderstood your question?
Exactly. I guess it was never much of a worry back in the day... The same reason why seatbelts or motorcycle helmets weren't mandatory, you could smoke anywhere you wanted, etc.

Until it was identified that shit like this needed to be regulated, no-one really batted an eyelid.
GooSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 8:32 PM   #75
-KoMoD0-
Member
 
-KoMoD0-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Western Sydney
Posts: 8,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooSE View Post
I laugh at your .416 Barrett.

.700 Nitro Express is what all the cool kids use for fox hunting.
I laugh at your ignorance, .50BMG has more power than the .700NE. I am also fairly sure the firearm in the video is chambered for .577 Tyrannosaur

The case formed .50 fat mac was pretty wild if you wanted big power without the problems of owning a destructive device
-KoMoD0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
firearms, gun, pistol, rifle

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 1:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. -
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Internode!