Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Electronics & Electrics

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd May 2011, 12:01 PM   #16
xc351

any monkey can take out a fuse and put in circuit breaker, but u have stated the wiring is a bit iffy.

There is NO way a good lecky will just come in and replace 4 items, once he works on that circuit he is responsible for it.

if thats all he is doing u might as well just go buy those $10 circuit breakers that fit in to fuse holders.

But u really should do it correctly do it once do it right it will cost serveral thousand but least for that ammount u know your wiring is safe
xc351 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:09 PM   #17
kjparker Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc351 View Post
any monkey can take out a fuse and put in circuit breaker, but u have stated the wiring is a bit iffy.

There is NO way a good lecky will just come in and replace 4 items, once he works on that circuit he is responsible for it.

if thats all he is doing u might as well just go buy those $10 circuit breakers that fit in to fuse holders.

But u really should do it correctly do it once do it right it will cost serveral thousand but least for that ammount u know your wiring is safe
I dont know that the wiring is iffy, and I'm sure that he would tell me if it was.

The point of this thread, was to know what I need to budget. The price I was quoted was just the board upgrade. Obviously if something else is required, it would be more.....

Edit:

I should add, that I have since followed back the strange wiring back, to see where it goes to, and found that it in fact goes nowhere! It looks like he had some extra lighting and stuff installed at one point, had it removed / disconnected, but left the wiring there.

I'm not expereiencing any p[roblems in particular with the house wiring, I just want the board uipgraded for peace of mind.

Last edited by kjparker; 3rd May 2011 at 12:13 PM.
kjparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 3:26 PM   #18
xc351

ok im a lecky by trade mcb's are $5 each a rcd $50. a couple enclosures $10 and u are done.

How ever the law states if u work on a circuit (even if its 20 years after it was installed) u are responsable for that circuit. hence he will prolly be working on every circuit he will be responsible for each and every one to make sure its safe.

also major upgrades require every thing be brought up to standards, meter location will be a major issue.
Old 3rd May 2011, 4:10 PM   #19
kjparker Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc351 View Post
ok im a lecky by trade mcb's are $5 each a rcd $50. a couple enclosures $10 and u are done.

How ever the law states if u work on a circuit (even if its 20 years after it was installed) u are responsable for that circuit. hence he will prolly be working on every circuit he will be responsible for each and every one to make sure its safe.

also major upgrades require every thing be brought up to standards, meter location will be a major issue.
Meter location? You mean where inside the box it is placed?
Old 3rd May 2011, 4:32 PM   #20
blakeg

really depends on the house and wiring. i am a sparky.

when i do a board upgrade from the old fuses on a house, i upgrade the earth with a new stake and cable if required, check and generally replace the waterbond.

Do a visual inspection of wiring, test insulation, earthing, impendence and polarity of existing points . and if that all checks out i will swap the old fuses for RCD/MCB .

its not a big deal like some make out in here. UNLESS there are wiring defects such as old indian rubber, or paper shethed cable, dodgy diy , or mixed neutrals etc..

its not a major upgrade unless you are replacing the incoming supply. so unless the OP is doing renos , no problem
1-5 is like that imo...

pics of the old board ?

Last edited by blakeg; 3rd May 2011 at 4:35 PM.
blakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 5:37 PM   #21
kjparker Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeg View Post
really depends on the house and wiring. i am a sparky.

when i do a board upgrade from the old fuses on a house, i upgrade the earth with a new stake and cable if required, check and generally replace the waterbond.

Do a visual inspection of wiring, test insulation, earthing, impendence and polarity of existing points . and if that all checks out i will swap the old fuses for RCD/MCB .

its not a big deal like some make out in here. UNLESS there are wiring defects such as old indian rubber, or paper shethed cable, dodgy diy , or mixed neutrals etc..

its not a major upgrade unless you are replacing the incoming supply. so unless the OP is doing renos , no problem
1-5 is like that imo...

pics of the old board ?
Not doing renovations at present so all good there.

From the wiring I have seen, it doesnt appear to be paper sheathed, wouldnt know what indian rubber looked like.

I'll take a pic of the board hopefully tonight, Dont have ready access to the internet at home (having fun with telstra with the line as the previous owner never disconnected it!), so it will probably be tomorrow before I can post them upthem
Old 4th May 2011, 10:03 AM   #22
kjparker Thread Starter

Ok here's a (bad) phone pic of the board.

There are a total of three meteres at the top, the center one has a fuse above it, cant read what it's for, or see if it is even labeled.

Not all of the fuses are labeled as to what they do, the one to the right of the off peak hw timer, is a mystery as well.
Old 5th May 2011, 6:41 AM   #23
xc351

thast a VERY old board
the Cermeric fuses are teh older type. Your board will cotain aspestos.

the circuit breaker between teh 2 main swiches is illegal as it has exposed parts (terminals and were wire goes in) it should be in an enclosure like teh one above it.

the black fuse holders on the right are bakerlight and take weird fuses but they are industrial (if tehy are the ones im thinking off) which measn a industral sparky has eithe rlived there or done work there for a mate.

u have 2 phase power and a meter for off peak

OTHER POSSIBLE DRAMMAS

1. Rubber wire. have a look at some of teh wiring arround teh place if its like big fat figure 8 (compared to new flater twin and earth) and gray outer insulation good chance its rubbe rinsulation which cracks. soon as u try to remove some thing all the insulation will fall off. also alot of the time this is solid core not multicore. Also alot o fteh time unde rit there will be an exposed earth wire.

2. Main size. either the aerial cable from the pole to your house or from the point of attachment on your house to teh board will be to small unless it been changed in teh last 10 years.

the aerial cable does it like its twisted? thast a good sign. glat ribion like cable is very old.

how does it terminate in to your house?
if its old cermic things were it looks like the fuse pull out at teh bottom this could be bad. there will normally be 2 or so sapce a bit apart from each other.

if it goes into a newish looking black box were all cables go to this is a good sign.

does teh main cable taht run into teh swich board look newer than teh install?

the hous eif from the 60's prolly and lets face it it wasn't designed to run lots of appliances. and tehre as been lots of crap added to your swich board.

its not uncommon for teh orhinal 4 or 6mm maisn to still be in use or it might of been upgraded 20+ years ago.'

answer what u can but i bet u the $500 for a quick board chance will run into alot of drammas.

I would serriously consider a full rewire wil be 10k but at least its done
Old 5th May 2011, 7:42 AM   #24
mareke

I had the fuse board replaced in my townhouse quite a few years ago. It had the original ceramic fuses but no meters as these were on the common fuse board for the whole block located on the side of the building. The electrician charged me $550 and he installed what he said were the Rolls Royce of circuit breakers in a nice new box. The box and circuit breakers were HPM branded. If you want the whole board replaced it would be a bigger job and have to cost more than I paid. Replacing just the ceramic fuses with the newer style ones would be quite simple.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 4:53 PM   #25
blakeg

the black fuses are not unsual they are prob HRC fuses and were installed in the interim between SER (white ceramic) and CB's these are fine as far as Cable protection goes as long as they are correctly rated, however there is no safety switch protection
that CB in the middle of the two switches is indeed illegals

the Best way to sort this it to get a sparky to come have a look.

How old is the house ? if the cables in the house are WHITE Sheathed. should be ok, however if they are in steel conduit or Black a rewire would be a good idea ( ie i would not be touching it , causes to many headaches. ) \

back of the board will be asbestos. up to the sparky, i wear a respirator and have a industrial vac going when drilling holes in them

As far as the mains go, any good sparky will make the main switch a CB to protect the incoming cable. if you trip it you will need to either change your habits , or pay to upgrade. , better than risking burning the house down.

Old 5th May 2011, 5:47 PM   #26
Nick_Henchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
The electrician charged me $550 and he installed what he said were the Rolls Royce of circuit breakers in a nice new box. The box and circuit breakers were HPM branded.
LOL
Old 5th May 2011, 6:41 PM   #27
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Henchel View Post
LOL
I guess when you don't much about such matters a few quotes are worth getting but the old board was sparking and dangerous and I wanted it fixed quickly. The guy made two trips and took some time to remove the old board and install the replacement. I'm happy with the product.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 7:42 PM   #28
xc351

No worries about the black fuses I was thinking they were a different set up.

Yes a cb should protect the mains, but there is sfa chance mains of 20+ years old will be suitable for your load.

Can u post a pic of a few older cables. Old rounder twin cables will be major probs.

I used to have pics of that rubber cable. Also called vulcanized rubber.

As I work for a power company I should on my work pc have several pics of it.

I've also went to a house that had a major fire because of it. They pluged in box air con. It won't take a lot soon as u move a cable (remove point of light swich to inspect wiring is all it takes) then well u have 2 live bare conductors.
Old 5th May 2011, 8:44 PM   #29
blakeg

not always. take my currrent home.
gas stove/oven
gas heating
gas waterheater
4mm2 arials 6mm consumer mains 25 A cb (could use a 32 really)

never tripped it.
Old 5th May 2011, 8:59 PM   #30
kjparker Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeg View Post
the black fuses are not unsual they are prob HRC fuses and were installed in the interim between SER (white ceramic) and CB's these are fine as far as Cable protection goes as long as they are correctly rated, however there is no safety switch protection
that CB in the middle of the two switches is indeed illegals

the Best way to sort this it to get a sparky to come have a look.

How old is the house ? if the cables in the house are WHITE Sheathed. should be ok, however if they are in steel conduit or Black a rewire would be a good idea ( ie i would not be touching it , causes to many headaches. ) \

back of the board will be asbestos. up to the sparky, i wear a respirator and have a industrial vac going when drilling holes in them

As far as the mains go, any good sparky will make the main switch a CB to protect the incoming cable. if you trip it you will need to either change your habits , or pay to upgrade. , better than risking burning the house down.

House was built in approx 1960, so about 50 years.

I dont see any steel conduit about the place, but will have a look around on the weekend.

Is it possible to have the one safety switch installed on that board to protect the lot, without an upgrade? Repair the obvious fault with it of course....