Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Newbie Lounge

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th September 2011, 6:25 PM   #1
shredR Thread Starter

Default USB 3.0 Front Panel / CASE / CONFUSION?

OK so I'm building a new rig (Purchased 2500K, ASRock Extreme4 M/B, Sapphire HD6950 2GB) so far.. Now the M/B has 2 x Front USB 3.0 ports & 2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports.

Now, does this mean I will need to purchase a case that has USB3.0 ports in the front in order for this to work?? I'm currently looking at the 600T which has (1) USB 3.0 front input, however I would like to cut down the cost to under $200 for a case and purchase an NZXT (most likely) which has NO USB 3.0 front header.

My ASRock came with a "1 x Front USB 3.0 Panel" which has 2 slots. Does this mean I can just hook this up to my M/B and place it in one of the 3.5" spaces on my case?

Is this a dumb question? I feel like I know a lot about computers, but seeing as I havent purchased any hardware for a while, I'm a tad confused at this.
I don't see the point in buying a USB 3.0 m/b if I can't use any front ports.

Cheers in advance!

DESKTOP: CORSAIR 600T SE WHITE - i5 2500K @ 4.6GHZ - ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3 - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2X4GB - SAPPHIRE HD6950 2GB - SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB - WD CAVIAR GREEN 1TB - SAMSUNG BLU-RAY - 24" BENQ G2420HD
LAPTOP: MACBOOK PRO 13" 2011 - INTEL CORE I5 @ 2.3GHZ - 4GB 1333MHz - 500GB 5400-RPM
shredR is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th September 2011, 6:30 PM   #2
Ethan W

Sorry for glancing over your post, but keep in mind that a LOT of cases claim to have front USB3 ports which are just "passthrough" cables to the back ports. if you have proper USB3 headers on the motherboard (socket with individual pins), then look up the reviews to make sure the case you're looking at has proper USB3 headers. I don't think the 600T does, because the 650D doesn't.

Steam: [OCAU] Ethan
Ethan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 6:53 PM   #3
MiseryIsMajesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredR View Post
OK so I'm building a new rig (Purchased 2500K, ASRock Extreme4 M/B, Sapphire HD6950 2GB) so far.. Now the M/B has 2 x Front USB 3.0 ports & 2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports.

Now, does this mean I will need to purchase a case that has USB3.0 ports in the front in order for this to work?? I'm currently looking at the 600T which has (1) USB 3.0 front input, however I would like to cut down the cost to under $200 for a case and purchase an NZXT (most likely) which has NO USB 3.0 front header.

My ASRock came with a "1 x Front USB 3.0 Panel" which has 2 slots. Does this mean I can just hook this up to my M/B and place it in one of the 3.5" spaces on my case?

Is this a dumb question? I feel like I know a lot about computers, but seeing as I havent purchased any hardware for a while, I'm a tad confused at this.
I don't see the point in buying a USB 3.0 m/b if I can't use any front ports.
Reading your post.. Your mobo comes with a USB3.0 bracket that I assume fits into a 5.25" drive bay. This means you do not have to purchase a case with native USB3.0 support. However, if you don't wish to use this bracket for whatever reason (ie. Aesthetics), there are many cases with front panel USB3.0.

I have a 600T and it's just a pass-through cable. However, I didn't like that much, so I bought a BitFenix Internal USB3.0 Adaptor, as my Sabertooth P67 has the header on it.. Works great.

Just some food for thought.
MiseryIsMajesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 7:11 PM   #4
shredR Thread Starter

So when you say the 600T has a pass-through cable, what essentially does that mean? So if i was to use the USB 3.0 port on my front panel (on a 600T) I would need to purchase the BitFenix connector? That enables the port to be "USB 3.0".. My apologies if im totally off the ball!

DESKTOP: CORSAIR 600T SE WHITE - i5 2500K @ 4.6GHZ - ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3 - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2X4GB - SAPPHIRE HD6950 2GB - SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB - WD CAVIAR GREEN 1TB - SAMSUNG BLU-RAY - 24" BENQ G2420HD
LAPTOP: MACBOOK PRO 13" 2011 - INTEL CORE I5 @ 2.3GHZ - 4GB 1333MHz - 500GB 5400-RPM
Old 13th September 2011, 7:19 PM   #5
Fishface

The pass through cables are terminated with USB 3 plugs and pass through the case and out through the back panel to plug into the rear USB 3 sockets.

The bitfenix thingy converts them into a header to plug into the MB inside the case.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 7:34 PM   #6
joshpond

I have the same motherboard and the HAF X case which has USB 3 front ports.

You options basically are:

Included with the mobo, the cable plugs into the mobo 19 pin internal connector and there is a 3.5in drive bay adabter which gives you two usb 3 ports. If you have a case that doesn't have usb 3 posrts at the front, as long as you have the drive bay you can get usb3 with no extra cost.

If you case has usb 3 front panal it depends on how they connect up.
Some like the pass through and on mine are basically a USB 3 extension lead. These are designed to pass out the back of the case and plug on the mobo's backpanel usb 3 port. (which are like mine)

The ASRock drive bay adapter however can be pulled apart so that it basically has 2 female usb3 ports. I've run this cable behind the motherboard tray and plugged the fron usb 3 pass through cables from the case into the female end of the mobo cable.

hope that makes sense.

Josh

The David HasselHAF - Build log
joshpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 8:10 PM   #7
Marksman X

Fractal Arc Mid Tower has a front USB3 header that plugs directly into the ASRock Extreme4 motherboard. I have both of them
Link.
Case is bigger than it looks, and really, really well built.
Old 13th September 2011, 8:21 PM   #8
shredR Thread Starter

I think I'm just going to go with the 600T... I'm very picky and I can't find another case that I like for the price range.. There are some full towers that I like but I just don't need a case "that" big... I guess as long as I have the option of using USB 3.0 (which I will via the back I/O panel on my m/b) and 1 port at the front, that should be more than enough! Unless someone can suggest why a 600T isn't a good purchase?

Old 13th September 2011, 9:40 PM   #9
MiseryIsMajesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredR View Post
I think I'm just going to go with the 600T... I'm very picky and I can't find another case that I like for the price range.. There are some full towers that I like but I just don't need a case "that" big... I guess as long as I have the option of using USB 3.0 (which I will via the back I/O panel on my m/b) and 1 port at the front, that should be more than enough! Unless someone can suggest why a 600T isn't a good purchase?
In regard to your original reply to my post, the pass-through cable is just a USB-to-USB cable running from the front panel, designed to be routed out the back of your case and plugged into the USB3.0 ports on your mobo.

To be honest, the 600T is borderline "full-tower". It's a little wider and taller than your average mid-tower. Apart from that, it's a great case, love the build quality and design. Has a pretty generous window too, with the option of installing mesh for extra side-panel fans in place of it, which is included.

Indeed one of the better-looking cases out there, in my opinion.
MiseryIsMajesty is offline   Reply With Quote