Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?
Hot 324 31.03%
Not 515 49.33%
Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!! 205 19.64%
Voters: 1044. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th March 2012, 10:28 AM   #1021
XxDeadlyxX

I also must say BF3 runs really well on Windows 8, better than 7 I think.
Main PC [Core i7 3770k @ 4.77Hz] [Gigabyte Z77X-UP7] [2x Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz] [8GB G.skill Ripjaws 2666mhz] [Coolermaster HAF X NVIDIA Edition] [Yamakasi Catleap Q270 2B @ 125hz] [Enermax MaxRevo 1500w] [Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 8]
unRAID server [Core i7 920 @ 4GHz] [Gigabyte X58-UD7] [6GB DDR3] [TT Armor+] [Dell U2211H] [Silverstone 750w] [5x 4TB HDD's and slowly building]
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th March 2012, 12:45 PM   #1022
Kie

I know it's a consumer preview, but I'm previewing an epic fail here. I doubt there will be major changes to the interface at this late stage (unless there's a massive outcry). Unfortunately what we're seeing will be very close to what we'll get, which is a shame.
Over $11,500 in successful trades!!
Kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 12:48 PM   #1023
Krinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
This is true, if you run a system without a touch screen. And I guess this will be the biggest problem for MS with W8. But what can they do? They must react to the tablet trend, otherwise they will lose massively market share in the coming years. Could they offer 2 different OS?
Yeah pretty much this - as much as it shows a little that the metro interface is being shoehorned into W8 this is a critical juncture for MS, it's their best chance to get developers on board with metro apps for WoA/WP8 by offering them access to all new W8 pc sales at the same time. If they had more time or if the ipad wasn't this strong (or if android was stronger and divided the market a bit more) I think they could have afforded to release discrete versions of WP8 for phone+tablet and W8 for desktop only and follow up with convergence between W9/WP9/next gen Xbox, but as it is they need a strong presence in the tablet space right now.

Also bear in mind noone is forcing enterprise to upgrade from W7 to W8 as soon as it comes out, they still have the very good option to upgrade from XP to W7.
C2D E8500 | Asus MSI K8N Diamond | Antec solo w\Antec Neo HE 550W | 4GB (2x2GB) Team DDR2 | Gigabyte 4970 | 2x36GB 16MB WD Raptors Raid 0 & 1TB WD | Pioneer DVR-108A | hp 2335 & Samsung 172x | Logitech MX1000 & Di Novo Edge | Sony MD717 & Seinheiser
Krinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 4:43 PM   #1024
EpicPcCases
(Banned or Deleted)

Make it $30 or GTFO. I only want to pay the minimal for reduced functionality and features
EpicPcCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 5:14 PM   #1025
chainbolt
The end is near?

Microsoft targeting October 2012 for Windows 8 launch

Quote:
With Apple's massive success with the launch of the new iPad, Microsoft is pushing toward the launch of Windows 8 and looks to bring the Metro-style OS to tablets before the end of the year.

According to a report from Bloomberg earlier today, Microsoft plans to finish up all work on Windows 8 by summer 2012 and release the new version of the operating system during October 2012. The official announcement of the release date as well as other information on scheduling will occur during April 2012 at an event for industry partners. The October timing of the release will coincide with the holiday shopping season allowing Microsoft to package Windows 8 with laptops, desktops and tablets from third party manufacturer such as Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo and Acer.

If Microsoft misses the targeted October 2012 release, Apple may continue to dominate the tablet market with the new iPad. According to Gartner Inc. analyst Michael Gartenberg, he stated “If they (Microsoft) miss the September-October timeframe, they’re going to be stuck without being able to ship anything in 2012. The last thing Microsoft wants to have is a situation where there are no compelling Windows tablets at a time when the new iPad looks like it’s going to be a good seller for the holidays.”
It's all about this: The surging tablet market. MS has to respond to this quickly or they go the way of the Dodo.

It would be the second time that they were the first in the market, but failed to amend and further develop the product in line with changing consumer demand and technology. MS had once a dominating market share for smartphone OS and for tablets, and now they are in the dust for both.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 5:36 PM   #1026
EuroSlave

ahhaa surging tablet market

tablets are such a joke holy shit I have no idea how they caught on
EuroSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 6:33 PM   #1027
Kie

People still use tablets? They're so 2011.
Over $11,500 in successful trades!!
Kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 7:16 PM   #1028
chainbolt
The end is near?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSlave View Post
ahhaa surging tablet market

tablets are such a joke holy shit I have no idea how they caught on
Who cares about holy sit. It's about business and big money. MS profit has been going down, Appel's profit is skyrocketing, not only but partially due to the gigantic success of the iPad. It's a shame considering that MS was much earlier in the market with tablet functionality. But now, I guess most people even believe, that it was all done by Jobs.

Apple sold 3 million (!) iPad 3 just within 3 days after launch. Consumers are moving away from desktop computing.

Last edited by chainbolt; 20th March 2012 at 7:49 PM.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 11:09 PM   #1029
EuroSlave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kie View Post
People still use tablets? They're so 2011.
try ten years earlier. tablets are a stupid fad just like 3D. You can't get any real work done on them apart from banging out a email and maybe looking at a few basic websites.

Does win8 bring any new direct x or other important changes apart from the interface stuff?
EuroSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 11:18 PM   #1030
AthlonMan
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
try ten years earlier. tablets are a stupid fad just like 3D. You can't get any real work done on them apart from banging out a email and maybe looking at a few basic websites.

Does win8 bring any new direct x or other important changes apart from the interface stuff?
New file system i think.
AthlonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 11:18 PM   #1031
Smegger

Quote:

A lot of people couldn't care less about direct x or even know what it is. Tablets are becoming popular because they are incredibly handy and the tech is at a point where they're fast, light and small enough to be very portable.
You should really try to consider that the way you use a computer is not the same as everyone else.

BTW, I like good 3D.
Old 21st March 2012, 11:58 AM   #1032
G-PhresH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
MS profit has been going down, Appel's profit is skyrocketing, not only but partially due to the gigantic success of the iPad.
Might want to check your facts. MS profits have been increasing year on year for atleast the past 5 years.
http://www.microsoft.com/investor/re...hts/index.html
The correct answer is: No. OCAU cannot count to 20 using pictures. We dick about getting to 10, magically decide to reverse the count back to 0, and then start posting pictures of the cast of Blossom in lingerie.

I love this place.
G-PhresH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 1:04 PM   #1033
ZXR

Tablets are brilliant for people who just want to check their facebook/twitter/email and to browse a few sites, while playing some little game every now and then. Previously these people would have to buy a laptop/desktop for the same functionality, while now they have it all in a much smaller and portable device.

There are far more of these casual users than there are IT professionals who actually work on their PCs.

For us users who actually work on a PC, tablets won't do what we want them to do so we will have to stick with how we've been doing things previously.

-ZXR
Old 21st March 2012, 1:52 PM   #1034
elvis
(Taking a Break)

When it comes to tablets vs PCs, I generally make a simple distinction:

* Information PRODUCERS need PCs
* Information CONSUMERS can use tablets

You'll generally find a pretty clear line in the sand within any organisation as to the sorts of users in question. I personally see it more often than not where upper level management and executives fall under the information consumer category. They want to read reports, internal bulletins, and other summary information to make high level decisions on what to do next.

It's more often than not the lower management and coal-face workers who are the ones actually working with and producing new information that require better methods of input.

In general, the more narrow the scope of the user, the more information they will produce in their narrow scope, and the more refined the tools they need. The broader the scope of the user, the more information (particularly summary information) they will consume, and the more broad the tools they will use (often just an email client, web browser and document viewer are enough).

Obviously things are different for non-business users, where many of the information producers in their day jobs go home and become information consumers sitting on their lounge reading lolcats and whatnot.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 1:57 PM   #1035
elvis
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-PhresH View Post
Might want to check your facts. MS profits have been increasing year on year for atleast the past 5 years.
http://www.microsoft.com/investor/re...hts/index.html
He might have meant share price. That took a beating over 2010/2011, but is back on the rise again.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote