Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Newbie Lounge

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21st March 2012, 8:36 AM   #1
kilebantick Thread Starter
Member
 
kilebantick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Victoria, Maldon
Posts: 752
Default Some help regarding customizing windows.

Hey everyone!

My foster-brother is wanting me to customize windows on some of his laptops. All of what he wants sounds easy, and it definitely is, but for some reason I don't know the exact method to go about it (embarrassingly).
  • Make the desktop change to X, and set it permanently as that, so no users are able to chance it.
  • Make the home-page set to X, so that no users are able to change it.
  • (May be hard) Change the windows start button to something I'm designing?
  • (This one I know, just adding it in so I remember) Change the start-up sound to something that I choose.

This will be a laptop for a private business, so what software do you think I should install on this?
I was planning on setting up one machine completely, then grabbing and image, then ghosting the other two laptops. Unfortunately I don't have a server with ghostcast installed on it, or anything that ghost-cast requires (In general, I don't have access to a server).

Cheers all !
-Kile
__________________
Succesfull trades: Here
$7088 Total trades
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeLikeCarrots
I computer equipment-ed for several years before outsourcing it. Now I make network ping and enjoy long walks on the firewalling with correlate syslog. On weekend I make good proxy with happy.
kilebantick is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st March 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
m0n4g3
Member
 
m0n4g3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kalgoorlie, WA
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilebantick View Post
Hey everyone!

My foster-brother is wanting me to customize windows on some of his laptops. All of what he wants sounds easy, and it definitely is, but for some reason I don't know the exact method to go about it (embarrassingly).
  • Make the desktop change to X, and set it permanently as that, so no users are able to chance it.
  • Make the home-page set to X, so that no users are able to change it.
  • (May be hard) Change the windows start button to something I'm designing?
  • (This one I know, just adding it in so I remember) Change the start-up sound to something that I choose.

This will be a laptop for a private business, so what software do you think I should install on this?
I was planning on setting up one machine completely, then grabbing and image, then ghosting the other two laptops. Unfortunately I don't have a server with ghostcast installed on it, or anything that ghost-cast requires (In general, I don't have access to a server).

Cheers all !
-Kile
Pretty sure you can't do the start button thing, as like in previous windows versions you had to change the ntlogon.exe and other system related files to do it... and once you had an update to windows it was gone again anyway!

The rest seems fairly simple....

Click Start , click Run , type MMC , and then click OK .

In the MMC window, on the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in .

On the Standalone tab, click Add .

In the Add Snap-in dialog box, click Group Policy , and then click Add . The Select Group Policy object dialog box appears.

Click Local Computer to edit the local Group Policy objects

Click Finish .

Click OK . The Group Policy snap-in opens focused on the specified Group Policy object.

User configurations/admin templates/windows components/IE will set the homepage so that that particular user can't do changes to it.... i forget what exact settings, but drill down through it and you'll find it

User configurations/admin templates/windows components/Desktop for the desktop settings.

Alternatively, you could look at setting up a user in kiosk mode...... but that's FAIRLY restrictive.
__________________
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus Maximus 4 Gene-z Gen3 | Crossfire HIS 7970 with EK CU Blocks | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133CL11 | 120gb Vertex 3 | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:13 AM   #3
kilebantick Thread Starter
Member
 
kilebantick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Victoria, Maldon
Posts: 752
Default

Thank you!!!!!!!!
No seriously, thank you!
__________________
Succesfull trades: Here
$7088 Total trades
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeLikeCarrots
I computer equipment-ed for several years before outsourcing it. Now I make network ping and enjoy long walks on the firewalling with correlate syslog. On weekend I make good proxy with happy.
kilebantick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 3:55 PM   #4
m0n4g3
Member
 
m0n4g3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kalgoorlie, WA
Posts: 1,639
Default

no worries.... maybe one day when i'm vic (doubt it....) u can buy me a beer!
__________________
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus Maximus 4 Gene-z Gen3 | Crossfire HIS 7970 with EK CU Blocks | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133CL11 | 120gb Vertex 3 | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 6:14 PM   #5
kilebantick Thread Starter
Member
 
kilebantick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Victoria, Maldon
Posts: 752
Default

Sure, I'm under 18, but sure!
__________________
Succesfull trades: Here
$7088 Total trades
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeLikeCarrots
I computer equipment-ed for several years before outsourcing it. Now I make network ping and enjoy long walks on the firewalling with correlate syslog. On weekend I make good proxy with happy.
kilebantick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 2:52 PM   #6
deluxe
Member
 
deluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
Pretty sure you can't do the start button thing...
Actually you can..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14385...-the-easy-way/
deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 8:17 PM   #7
m0n4g3
Member
 
m0n4g3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kalgoorlie, WA
Posts: 1,639
Default

ah i stand corrected then!

I still wouldn't trust a program to do this... it injects these pics into a system file (as i said before in previous versions eg XP it used to change the ntoskrnl and winlogon.exe files to get the new "themes" working).

Use at your own risk i suppose.
__________________
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus Maximus 4 Gene-z Gen3 | Crossfire HIS 7970 with EK CU Blocks | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133CL11 | 120gb Vertex 3 | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Axe
Member
 
Axe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: brisbane
Posts: 283
Default

am i missing something here?

why cant u just run gpedit.msc ? What's the point of using mmc, i'm a tad confused.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 10:32 AM   #9
m0n4g3
Member
 
m0n4g3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kalgoorlie, WA
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
am i missing something here?

why cant u just run gpedit.msc ? What's the point of using mmc, i'm a tad confused.
You certainly can. nothing stopping you...
__________________
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus Maximus 4 Gene-z Gen3 | Crossfire HIS 7970 with EK CU Blocks | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133CL11 | 120gb Vertex 3 | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 3:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. -
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Internode!