Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Newbie Lounge

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st March 2012, 8:36 AM   #1
kilebantick Thread Starter

Default Some help regarding customizing windows.

Hey everyone!

My foster-brother is wanting me to customize windows on some of his laptops. All of what he wants sounds easy, and it definitely is, but for some reason I don't know the exact method to go about it (embarrassingly).
  • Make the desktop change to X, and set it permanently as that, so no users are able to chance it.
  • Make the home-page set to X, so that no users are able to change it.
  • (May be hard) Change the windows start button to something I'm designing?
  • (This one I know, just adding it in so I remember) Change the start-up sound to something that I choose.

This will be a laptop for a private business, so what software do you think I should install on this?
I was planning on setting up one machine completely, then grabbing and image, then ghosting the other two laptops. Unfortunately I don't have a server with ghostcast installed on it, or anything that ghost-cast requires (In general, I don't have access to a server).

Cheers all !
-Kile
Originally Posted by eyeLikeCarrots
I computer equipment-ed for several years before outsourcing it. Now I make network ping and enjoy long walks on the firewalling with correlate syslog. On weekend I make good proxy with happy.
kilebantick is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st March 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
m0n4g3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilebantick View Post
Hey everyone!

My foster-brother is wanting me to customize windows on some of his laptops. All of what he wants sounds easy, and it definitely is, but for some reason I don't know the exact method to go about it (embarrassingly).
  • Make the desktop change to X, and set it permanently as that, so no users are able to chance it.
  • Make the home-page set to X, so that no users are able to change it.
  • (May be hard) Change the windows start button to something I'm designing?
  • (This one I know, just adding it in so I remember) Change the start-up sound to something that I choose.

This will be a laptop for a private business, so what software do you think I should install on this?
I was planning on setting up one machine completely, then grabbing and image, then ghosting the other two laptops. Unfortunately I don't have a server with ghostcast installed on it, or anything that ghost-cast requires (In general, I don't have access to a server).

Cheers all !
-Kile
Pretty sure you can't do the start button thing, as like in previous windows versions you had to change the ntlogon.exe and other system related files to do it... and once you had an update to windows it was gone again anyway!

The rest seems fairly simple....

Click Start , click Run , type MMC , and then click OK .

In the MMC window, on the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in .

On the Standalone tab, click Add .

In the Add Snap-in dialog box, click Group Policy , and then click Add . The Select Group Policy object dialog box appears.

Click Local Computer to edit the local Group Policy objects

Click Finish .

Click OK . The Group Policy snap-in opens focused on the specified Group Policy object.

User configurations/admin templates/windows components/IE will set the homepage so that that particular user can't do changes to it.... i forget what exact settings, but drill down through it and you'll find it

User configurations/admin templates/windows components/Desktop for the desktop settings.

Alternatively, you could look at setting up a user in kiosk mode...... but that's FAIRLY restrictive.
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus Maximus 4 Gene-z Gen3 | Crossfire HIS 7970 with EK CU Blocks | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133CL11 | 120gb Vertex 3 | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:13 AM   #3

Thank you!!!!!!!!
No seriously, thank you!
I computer equipment-ed for several years before outsourcing it. Now I make network ping and enjoy long walks on the firewalling with correlate syslog. On weekend I make good proxy with happy.
Old 21st March 2012, 3:55 PM   #4
m0n4g3

no worries.... maybe one day when i'm vic (doubt it....) u can buy me a beer!
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus Maximus 4 Gene-z Gen3 | Crossfire HIS 7970 with EK CU Blocks | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133CL11 | 120gb Vertex 3 | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
Old 21st March 2012, 6:14 PM   #5

Sure, I'm under 18, but sure!
Old 23rd March 2012, 2:52 PM   #6
deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
Pretty sure you can't do the start button thing...
Actually you can..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14385...-the-easy-way/
deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 8:17 PM   #7
m0n4g3

ah i stand corrected then!

I still wouldn't trust a program to do this... it injects these pics into a system file (as i said before in previous versions eg XP it used to change the ntoskrnl and winlogon.exe files to get the new "themes" working).

Use at your own risk i suppose.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Axe

am i missing something here?

why cant u just run gpedit.msc ? What's the point of using mmc, i'm a tad confused.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 10:32 AM   #9
m0n4g3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
am i missing something here?

why cant u just run gpedit.msc ? What's the point of using mmc, i'm a tad confused.
You certainly can. nothing stopping you...