Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th April 2012, 1:41 AM   #16
C.Michael Thread Starter
Iron Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by checks202 View Post
Does the background need to be that white?

For something like this with a static object. I'd be having two soft-boxes to either side of the dress slightly angled towards the front so it evenly lights the whole dress. Keeping in mind some shadows add dimension.

It appears as if your close to the backdrop or you got the dress over-exposed a touch as there isn't much separation.
The image I am trying to replicate has a pure white BG. They asked if the background could be ALL white as the photos are going to go into an iPhone app.

I ended up shooting today.

1 flash 45deg camera right @ 1/8th power, zoomed to 24mm.
1 flash behind model on floor at 1/4 power, pointed at wall.

Camera settings were 1/50th, f/6.3, ISO 200-320.

I will post some shots when I have finished editing. To be honest, I don't like the pure white background as it makes it feel like a cut out and paste job. That is what they wanted and are happy with the images I am showing them.

In future, I will invest in some soft boxes and another flash. Using the SB either side to light evenly, and another flash behind for rim lighting.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th April 2012, 9:49 AM   #17
Arch-Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Michael View Post

I will post some shots when I have finished editing. To be honest, I don't like the pure white background as it makes it feel like a cut out and paste job. That is what they wanted and are happy with the images I am showing them.
That is the reason I donít like plain white backgrounds eitherÖ
Honeslty though, thatís probably the difference between catalogue shots and fashion. Clients who just want to catalogue their outfits just want as plain a background as possible.

Whatever you do, don't click HERE!
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 12:24 PM   #18
C.Michael Thread Starter
Iron Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
That is the reason I donít like plain white backgrounds eitherÖ
Honeslty though, thatís probably the difference between catalogue shots and fashion. Clients who just want to catalogue their outfits just want as plain a background as possible.
Yep true. I believe they just want the clothes without much distraction.

It's a learning curve for me too, it's taking AGES to edit though. 4 stops overexposed adjustment brush, painting the background. Minor exposure, saturation and contrast changes. Then crop to 3 x 5.2 aspect ratio. Ughh.

It is for a friend, but any idea how much I should charge per hour?

It took me 3 hours to shoot (another 1.5 hours today shooting the mens line), and I've already spent...4 hours editing and I'm probably a third of the way through the editing of just the girls stuff...
Old 19th April 2012, 3:11 PM   #19
Deftone2k

Charge whatever your time is worth/valued to you.
Deftone2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 5:28 PM   #20
checks202

I see it this way. The client is paying for you as a Photographer not a graphic editor. ( Yes I'm aware all photographs need some post-processing )

For the setup you have used and being somewhat first effort I believe if you charged around $300 that would be fair. Yes you can charge more but do you value repeat work? You need to find the median and I believe $300 is a good starting basis.

How many garments have you photographed would also be a major determining factor.
Old 19th April 2012, 7:34 PM   #21
vindicator

Quote:
It's a learning curve for me too, it's taking AGES to edit though. 4 stops overexposed adjustment brush, painting the background. Minor exposure, saturation and contrast changes. Then crop to 3 x 5.2 aspect ratio. Ughh.
I have felt this pain.

Studio strobes with appropriate sized modifiers, a light meter and a cyc goes a hell of a long way towards reducing post.

Studios are relatively cheap to rent when you consider the alternative.

It's why I invested in my Bowens.

I rather like white backdrops when done correctly. See: MR PORTER, Tres Bien Store, ZOZO.jp, SSENSE.

Quote:
It is for a friend, but any idea how much I should charge per hour?
For my friends, my time is always free.

Get them to pay for your media pass to fashion week.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:06 AM   #22
C.Michael Thread Starter
Iron Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
Charge whatever your time is worth/valued to you.
This is where my self 'confidence', or lack there of, falls to the way side. I have no idea what I am worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checks202 View Post
I see it this way. The client is paying for you as a Photographer not a graphic editor. ( Yes I'm aware all photographs need some post-processing )

For the setup you have used and being somewhat first effort I believe if you charged around $300 that would be fair. Yes you can charge more but do you value repeat work? You need to find the median and I believe $300 is a good starting basis.

How many garments have you photographed would also be a major determining factor.
You are fairly close. I offered to do the first shoot for free, and as it will be a continuing thing. They said they wouldn't take no as an answer. As they are friends I said I'd do it for $20/hr. Which is about 4 hours of shooting and 6ish hours of editing.

While I semi agree with the idea of paying me as a photographer, not a graphic editor. It is basically all in one bundle these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicator View Post
I have felt this pain.

Studio strobes with appropriate sized modifiers, a light meter and a cyc goes a hell of a long way towards reducing post.

Studios are relatively cheap to rent when you consider the alternative.

It's why I invested in my Bowens.

I rather like white backdrops when done correctly. See: MR PORTER, Tres Bien Store, ZOZO.jp, SSENSE.

For my friends, my time is always free.

Get them to pay for your media pass to fashion week.
Dude, when money permits I will be buying some studio strobes. I need to get some soft boxes and stuff though. I was pretty happy with my lighting set up / results today actually.

I will check out those white back drop examples, to see how they make it look...non cut + paste...

I offered my time for free but they said no as it is a continual thing and they said they would feel bad. Fashion week though, top thinking B1.
Old 21st April 2012, 6:58 PM   #23
checks202

Quote:
This is where my self 'confidence', or lack there of, falls to the way side. I have no idea what I am worth.

You are fairly close. I offered to do the first shoot for free, and as it will be a continuing thing. They said they wouldn't take no as an answer. As they are friends I said I'd do it for $20/hr. Which is about 4 hours of shooting and 6ish hours of editing.

While I semi agree with the idea of paying me as a photographer, not a graphic editor. It is basically all in one bundle these days?
It is and IMO should be charged that way unless you have to do extensive editing.