Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Apple iOS (OS & Devices)

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 24th April 2012, 9:11 PM   #46
BioNiKaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainese View Post
Fair enough. To apples credit, the quality of the build exterior is nice. if a bit too solid or heavy. but as a consequence dropping them is catastrophic!
It looks great, very well finished... Mine doesnt have a scratch on it.. yet nobody on the phone can hear me and i can't lock my phone anymore..
the 'WTF am i doing' MR2 project log
The more OCAU debates I enter, the less users I like.
BioNiKaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 25th April 2012, 12:11 AM   #47
ekeane

Default my take

Android/IOS are very similar but have differences as well - I will say the note looks good/I do wish the screen was bigger on the iphone. Also, apples headphones are garbage, but their after sales service is better.

I have had iphones break and replaced on the spot - from what I can see it takes samsung up to a week or 2 to replace phones.

I don't like how locked down apple is, but cest la vie. Itunes can be a pain and I have had issues with songs not syncing. Still, I prefer ios/may change in the future.

Either way, go with whichever phone you feel comfortable with.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:24 AM   #48
Tinian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart38 View Post
iTunes is one of the big reasons I don't have apple devices any more.
I hate iTunes.

I'm sticking with my iPhone for two reasons:
  1. It still works, and
  2. Haven't finished my Angry Birds.
Now everyone bow down to Lord Tinian
Quote:
Originally Posted by arular View Post
+1 to everything tinian says
Tinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 2:13 PM   #49
Sharpe

I'm curious about getting a galaxy s3 from an iphone 3gs.

But not sure... the iphone 4s's screen is fantastic and i'm not sure the galaxy's would look better?

Plus I love the simplicity of using the iphone itself.

It's really a tough decision. Many people have moved from iphone -> galaxy and been very happy, some moved from galaxy --> iphone and been happy, and some have been very unhappy with either move...
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 2:27 PM   #50
jmart38
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
I'm curious about getting a galaxy s3 from an iphone 3gs.

But not sure... the iphone 4s's screen is fantastic and i'm not sure the galaxy's would look better?

Plus I love the simplicity of using the iphone itself.

It's really a tough decision. Many people have moved from iphone -> galaxy and been very happy, some moved from galaxy --> iphone and been happy, and some have been very unhappy with either move...
I can't see a difference from normal operating distance between the galaxy nexus and the iphone 4, not something you will need to be concerned about mate.
jmart38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 3:37 PM   #51
Loop Goose

I owned an iPhone 2G, (the US model), an iPhone 4G, and now moved across to Samsung Galaxy S2. I've found some things are harder on Android than iPhone, but I find Android more versatile overall.

I never really liked using Apple products, but I liked the iPhone 2G originally, and then the 4G was a lot faster and had a better camera and screen. I was fed up with iTunes though, and as a music artist, I could never understand why it was so hard to put a custom ringtone onto an iPhone. I also was frustrated at how hard it was to backup "notes" or access the data on the iPhone if you didn't have iTunes activated because you were using another person's laptop etc.

The things I liked about iPhone 4G was the photo quality, the calendar view, and the tethering. My phone was jail broken, and had tons of custom apps, as the Apple default apps were driving me mad. I never enjoyed using Safari browser, but there were some other custom browsers I had installed which did an ok job. After switching to a Samsung Galaxy S2, running gingerbread, it felt more complex, as if there was almost too much customization, but the interface tends to make more sense. It wasn't perfect though.

The iTunes equivalent, "Samsung Kies" loaded fine the first time I used it, but after that never worked successfully first time, and ended up becoming unusable on Windows 7 64bit. I've heard it doesn't work properly on Windows 7 32bit either, and yet some people have it working fine and some don't. I found syncing email, reminders, calendars etc is much easier on the Android than the iPhone, and it syncs and refreshes my inbox properly, which the iPhone did not do reliably.
I find the Camera on the Samsung is not as good as the iPhone, in picture quality, because it seems over sharpened. The calendar is a bit harder to use as well, but with some customization I have improved the experience.

The process of transferring photos and backing up ringtones, notes, sms etc couldn't be simpler, as now there is Samsung Kies Air, which connects your phone to your Wifi network, and allows you to connect, edit and backup everything via your browser, which bypasses Samsung Kies (Desktop version) for most functions I use. When Ice Cream Sandwich came out, I didn't get it, and the delay in Australia was an unknown period, so I downloaded Odin and flashed my phone to the international release, and that process took only 5mins, and kept all my apps intact. This was a pleasant change from iTunes wiping all the data without warning. The update has simplified some processes, and I like it more than Gingerbread, even though there hasn't really been major changes to the interface.

The functions I like on the Samsung Galaxy S2, are that you can insert a micro SD card, and move Apps onto it, to save space on your phone. I like that ringtones are easy to change beyond the defaults, and you have full access to all the information you put on the phone. I like the screen size, and I find it clearer to read than the iPhone 4, except in bright sunlight.

Also you have much more control for setting alarms, reminders, tones, vibrations, movement sensors etc, and you can assign them to be used for any function.
To the typical iPhone user, who loves their iPhone, you probably won't see any reason to switch, but if you are bored, frustrated, or feel restricted by Apple's grip on your user experience, Android offers more freedom than most people expect to have, so if you like to tinker and change things, then Android is far superior in that aspect.

bendrury.com.au

Last edited by Loop Goose; 10th May 2012 at 3:41 PM.
Loop Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 3:56 PM   #52
Sharpe

Tinkering is fun, but I find for most things that are customisable, I spend ages getting everything 'just so' and then leave it. However, everything on the iphone is pretty optimal, and I like that I don't have to fiddle for hours to figure out the best way to do things.

You can customise ringtones for iphone if needed, but honestly hasn't been a big issue for me. The harder use of the calander function and a few other things gives me pause as well....

The bigger screen sounds like the main function that would be nicer than an iphone... Is web browsing better than on an iphone 4? How is the osund quality for listening to mp3s? Can you run .avis found on places like eztv natively on a galaxy?
Old 10th May 2012, 5:25 PM   #53
Loop Goose

I find web browsing is easier, because there is about a cm more room, which sounds small but is just enough of a change to make a difference.
The phone itself has better battery life than the iPhone 4, if you compare both phones with things like wifi and bluetooth turned off. The back of the phone is kinda flimsy but easy to take apart, and the phone is significantly lighter.

I think the calendar on iPhone is a better layout/ color scheme, as the default one on the Galaxy S2 is black with white numbers. To avoid this, I use an app called business calendar, which works more like the Apple one, but looks different, and is more customizable in terms of views, colors for weekends etc, and you can select events for today, or 2 days or anything up to 2 weeks, a month etc. You can set it to be the default application, so it bypasses the default calendar completely.

Initially I found the home screen/screen saver thing annoying, but in Ice Cream Sandwich it can now be disabled completely. They've added some iPhone-like swipe actions, to the task manager, so you can check what is open, and to close it you swipe it like how you unlock the iPhone, and that closes the program.

Sometimes the keyboard is a bit harder to type on than the iPhone 4G, as I have big fingers. One thing I forgot to add is that the dictionary allows you to add and delete words, so if you write something incorrectly, it doesn't become a suggested word next time you type something similar.

I don't listen to music on my mobile phone, so I'm not sure how either handset compares on that front.

The multimedia formats is supports are:
For audio it supports FLAC, WAV, Vorbis, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MID, AC3, XMF. For video formats and codecs it supports MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, DivX HD/XviD, VC-1, 3GP (MPEG-4), WMV (ASF) as well as AVI (DivX)), MKV, FLV and the Sorenson codec. For H.264 playback, the device natively supports 8-bit encodes along with up to 1080p HD video playback (see here for full info),

The original Samsung Galaxy S is said to have better audio quality.

bendrury.com.au

Last edited by Loop Goose; 10th May 2012 at 5:51 PM.
Loop Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 2:25 PM   #54
dainese

Love your opinions and writing loop goose.
Old 11th May 2012, 2:28 PM   #55
dainese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop Goose View Post
I find web browsing is easier, because there is about a cm more room, which sounds small but is just enough of a change to make a difference.
The phone itself has better battery life than the iPhone 4, if you compare both phones with things like wifi and bluetooth turned off. The back of the phone is kinda flimsy but easy to take apart, and the phone is significantly lighter.

Initially I found the home screen/screen saver thing annoying, but in Ice Cream Sandwich it can now be disabled completely. They've added some iPhone-like swipe actions, to the task manager, so you can check what is open, and to close it you swipe it like how you unlock the iPhone, and that closes the program.

Sometimes the keyboard is a bit harder to type on than the iPhone 4G, as I have big fingers. One thing I forgot to add is that the dictionary allows you to add and delete words, so if you write something incorrectly, it doesn't become a suggested word next time you type something similar.

The original Samsung Galaxy S is said to have better audio quality.
Try swiftkey or any other keyboard for that matter. You can join swiftkey VIP and get the beta 3 for free.

I read that the original s used a wolfsan audio Chooser.
Old 11th May 2012, 2:39 PM   #56
Sharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop Goose View Post
snip.
Very helpful stuff.

I'm glad this thread isn't deteriorating into fanboy arguments etc.

I'm honestly on the fence about it all still.

I'll see what the iphone 5 does - if it doesn't substantially improve from the iphone 4s (i.e. bigger screen and so on) then I may jump onto android.
Old 11th May 2012, 3:01 PM   #57
DarkYendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by special.k View Post
You should stay because you know you'll eventually come back
I know I'm going back. Too many hassles with the Android(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart38 View Post
Cutting edge compared to what?

iOS is severely crippling the iPads I think, all the portability of a netbook, with less than half of the capability. Having a giant iPod touch is kind of meh.
Android tablets have exactly the same problem. Only way to get real functionality out of a tablet is with Windows 7/8.
SERVER: | i3 3220 | 8GB DDR3 | 16TB + SSD | - BACKUP SERVER: | Intel D945GCLF2 | 1GB DDR2 | 8TB |
Successful OCAU trades / New blog & buildlogs
DarkYendor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 4:55 PM   #58
tr1cky271
(Banned or Deleted)

I love my iPhone 4 ..no wait, I FARKEN LURVE IT hence why I am trying to buy another just in case - I need a spare as a backup security measure because I'd be lost without my iP4.

I HATE iOS 5.xx and iPhone 4S. I would be interested in an iPhone that was 4G compatible though.
tr1cky271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 5:17 PM   #59
maev

You should see the freaking quality of the photo i took of my license with my GS2, can see all of the image in maximum crisp and can see the microchip lined holograph running through it ~ thought it was awesome.

But yeah, my biggest deal with android is that there are lots of awesome roms, but most of them don't work at all for me and usually soft-brick my phone lol, so you can get into some trouble.

The roms usually have shit-ass instructions that are WAY off, and the codes they use aren't user friendly at all. (i.e there are 100 different character combinations and 1 is for you, get the wrong one and you'll have to download another rom and hope the kernel in it doesn't soft-brick your phone. (however i have successfully loaded many roms)

~ where'as from memory with the iphone, jailbreaking was always universal, didn't matter about the country codes etc, so was much easier.

But yeah, i think android has way better / useful apps, swiftkey x makes typing a breeze and overall the phone is really good, though i do get pissed with it sometimes.

Lastly, while itunes does blow ass imo, its ability to restore the phone and communicate with it is superior to kies (samsungs version of firmware updater) and other companies pc equivilent.

Also didn't help my GF spilt coke over my phone the day i got it and now the buttons are always 'wierd feeling like the seal on them corroded and click in funny', but it works, after that and being dropped numerous times. Also they lack any decent cases for a reasonable price.

Last edited by maev; 19th May 2012 at 5:20 PM.
maev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 11:15 PM   #60
trackhappy

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S II and I loved it.

..for about a week. Then I quickly grew to hate it. The battery life was terrible, the signal was terrible, everything felt so half baked, the phone felt so cheap and flimsy compared to the iPhone it was unbelievable.

The fact that Telstra has only just rolled out their craptastic ICS ROM to the damned things only just goes to show what's inherently wrong with an open ecosystem like Android. The carriers can take control, and that's a bad thing.

Oh, but there's always custom ROMs. Sure, if you're part of the very small percentile who knows how to do it. And doesn't care about risking one's warranty. For everyone else, all they know how to do is sit tight and let the carrier drag them around by the nose for 6+ months while they pile their CSC onto an otherwise ok OS and ruin it.

Customization? Grew out of it in a couple of weeks when I determined I just wanted a working phone. What I hated about Android was the sense that I had to "maintain" the phone, as in manually close crappily coded apps, monitor the task manager for battery parasites, make sure I used it in a certain way as to not slow the phone down and cause battery issues, etc.

The apps themselves typically weren't very nice either. iOS equivalents were usually far more polished. And crashed a lot less.

The other thing is support, or lack thereof. I took my GSII in to get the signal looked at, 3 weeks later it was returned, the repairer, who was not Telstra or Samsung, having determined they couldn't find a problem with the phone. Whereas I could have walked into the Apple store and had an iPhone replaced on the spot.

I still consider Android to be garbage, which is a shame, because I really wanted to like it. But I had to make so many compromises in order to live with it.

That's my experience with Android, so feel free to take it for whatever it's worth.

I will add that the lack of feature support in later iterations of hardware/software for iOS for no apparent reason is rather annoying.
Shooter: 40D | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.4

Last edited by trackhappy; 12th June 2012 at 11:41 PM.
trackhappy is offline   Reply With Quote