Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Google Android (OS & Devices)

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th April 2012, 6:29 PM   #181
bb7_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesi7 View Post
True, but it's not 4g...

So waiting for the SGS3 now.
And no ICS yet either... Can't decide between this and the HTC one XL...
bb7_rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th April 2012, 1:28 PM   #182
Acesi7

Went for a wander down to the local Telstra store in Melbourne.

They have them on display and In Stock. Confirmed no 4G or ICS.

Their reason for the delay was that they thoroughly test the devices on the NextG network (and 4G network for 4G phones). Generally taking around 1 month if not a little longer.
Acesi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 6:05 PM   #183
Slugoid

Quote:
ICS is coming, 99% certain. 4G, most likely not, unless you get the US/Korean version, but still not guaranteed to work in Aus.
Slugoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 10:12 PM   #184
asher001

Quote:
Went for a wander down to the local Telstra store in Melbourne.

Their reason for the delay was that they thoroughly test the devices on the NextG network (and 4G network for 4G phones). Generally taking around 1 month if not a little longer.
The devices have always worked on the NextG network. IMO this excuse is bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugoid View Post
ICS is coming, 99% certain. 4G, most likely not, unless you get the US/Korean version, but still not guaranteed to work in Aus.
ICS is 100%. Overseas LTE phones don't work in Aus.
asher001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 6:22 PM   #185
_FuSiOnItE_

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem yet, but I left the torch funtion on for too long and it burnt the flash lens cover so now it's brown not clear.

Think there would be any problem getting warranty on this? Since it's making photos come out with a circular yellow tinge.

Main PC CPU E8500 @ 4.11GHz (1827FSB 1.34V) Cooling EK Supreme LT Memory Mushkin XP3 2x2GB PC12800 @ 1827MHz 7-7-8-18 2.0V Motherboard EVGA 790i UltraVideo 2x Zotac GeForce GTX285 SLi -> old PCDB Entry
Trading Successful Trades

waha \o/

Last edited by _FuSiOnItE_; 25th April 2012 at 6:39 PM.
_FuSiOnItE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 6:46 PM   #186
Slugoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by _FuSiOnItE_ View Post
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem yet, but I left the torch funtion on for too long and it burnt the flash lens cover so now it's brown not clear.

Think there would be any problem getting warranty on this? Since it's making photos come out with a circular yellow tinge.

Wouldn't hurt to try. Say you used it as a torch, since it is a stock widget by Samsung after all. Plus there is no warning that you can't use the LED for extended periods of time AFAIK.

Pretty poor effort that the LED was cooked because it was left too long. Well designed LED's should last a lifetime with proper heatsinking.
Slugoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 7:08 PM   #187
sanjay

Quote:
Wouldn't hurt to try. Say you used it as a torch, since it is a stock widget by Samsung after all. Plus there is no warning that you can't use the LED for extended periods of time AFAIK.

Pretty poor effort that the LED was cooked because it was left too long. Well designed LED's should last a lifetime with proper heatsinking.
doesnt look like a problem with the LED but rather the plastic covering, should be easy enough for samsung to just swap it out, im sure it wouldnt be a problem under warranty but the worst they will do is say no, so give it a go!
Over 120 Successful Trades on OCAU - Most Recent: dche5390, Rugal, Tornhelm, ummmz, darknight84, bumography, b4sk3tb4ll3r, marktadros, MoveIt, Maxknott, NoBooze, bnyboy, Stooge007, caddy, the_rick, Soupratt, Doktor, Logik47, KraniX, Talisman, start, gizmo_melb, Omarko, Arkanite, WooKiE_MaN, PM for full list
sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 7:18 PM   #188
_FuSiOnItE_

Quote:

Yeah exactly why I would assume there would be no problem getting warranty since there is no warning about leaving it on and also it is a stock widget. It's not actually the LED that's cooked, it's just the lense that covers it. My guess is they'll just replace the plastic piece. A glass piece would fix the issue of it happening again imho.

Oh and before I forget I'll just say what I think about the phone so far after around 1 months use anr previously owning a Desire HD.

Battery life is awesome. I can easily get 1.5-2 days of light-medium use. I could barely get 8 hours with the DHD with medium use. Performance is great too. No lag of any kind and plays all videos easily. Camera is the fastest I've used in a phone so far, bar maybe the Iphone4. Stylus is a great feature and also the size of the phone hasn't been an issue for me, fits in all my pants pockets and the screen real estate is great. I think if it were exactly 5" though it would fit my hand perfectly haha.

Negatives are that the 3G connection is not always great. I'll have full service and HSPDA, but sometimes it takes a bit to recognise connections. After connection, web pages and videos will load pretty fast. I don't like the Samsung UI as much as HTC's Sense. Sense just seems more refined and I guess it's aimed more towards business users whereas Samsung's is a more overall audience. The lock button on the side. This is probably the worst placement ever as everytime I grab the phone I hit the button with my index finger. Does anyone else get annoyed at that last issue? Shits me off so much sometimes.
Main PC CPU E8500 @ 4.11GHz (1827FSB 1.34V) Cooling EK Supreme LT Memory Mushkin XP3 2x2GB PC12800 @ 1827MHz 7-7-8-18 2.0V Motherboard EVGA 790i UltraVideo 2x Zotac GeForce GTX285 SLi -> old PCDB Entry
Trading Successful Trades

waha \o/
_FuSiOnItE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 7:42 PM   #189
Airquarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by _FuSiOnItE_ View Post
Shits me off so much sometimes.
Yep, volume buttons too, placed in the most stupid position. Having a cover over the phone helped somewhat...
Old 25th April 2012, 7:51 PM   #190
bb7_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher001 View Post
The devices have always worked on the NextG network. IMO this excuse is bullshit.
On top of this, they want $20/month for it on the $59 cap, extremely pissed off right now, 6 months behind the other carriers and now they're trying to charge four times as much for it (every other carrier has it for $5 on $59 caps with virgin being $5 on $55 cap..)

I can deal with getting slightly less $$ value on their caps, and less data than any of the other carriers for your money too, but this is a bloody joke. It isn't even the flagship phone in samsungs lineup and yet they're charging a buttload more for it. Galaxy nexus is FREE on the $59 cap and this phone is supposed to be cheaper.

I've been a loyal Tel$tra customer for a long time, and convinced a lot of friends / family to switch over from voda / 3 etc, but after this stunt I'm just about ready to change carriers again I think, on principal alone. (notwithstanding that they will no doubt be 6 months behind everybody else in releasing their ICS update when it eventually comes through)
bb7_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:23 AM   #191
sanjay

galaxy nexus is the cheaper phone...not sure where you got your opposite impression from. GNex is around $3000HKD, GNote is around $3800HKD.

news flash! telstra ripping off its customers.

telstra's only good value proposition is their prepaid cap. this has been the case for over two years now.
Over 120 Successful Trades on OCAU - Most Recent: dche5390, Rugal, Tornhelm, ummmz, darknight84, bumography, b4sk3tb4ll3r, marktadros, MoveIt, Maxknott, NoBooze, bnyboy, Stooge007, caddy, the_rick, Soupratt, Doktor, Logik47, KraniX, Talisman, start, gizmo_melb, Omarko, Arkanite, WooKiE_MaN, PM for full list
Old 10th May 2012, 9:05 PM   #192
hippyhippy

so apparently some have started getting ics updates for galaxy note overseas..
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/galaxy-note-ics/

how long do u think til we get it?
hippyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 9:13 PM   #193
HUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post

i wouldnt hold your breath waiting for it if i were you.

Originally Posted by Subcommandante - Who are DVDA? Just a bunch of guys hanging out and having fun...

Originally Posted by Agg - You seem to be confusing OCAU with some kind of democracy.

Originally Posted by Spyfox - mount it on the rear like a brokeback cowboy
HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 9:11 AM   #194
matarael

I think there's a better chance of more polished ICS roms coming from XDA-Developers. They'll include the new S-Pen dedicated apps too. My guess is 3 weeks for nice polished builds to start to show up.
matarael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 10:37 AM   #195
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post

as soon as this is confirmed, it'll be extracted and deodexed, ready for install on any GNote worldwide (save for the retarded US variants).

...the case to get a GNote has strengthened.