Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Extreme and Water Cooling

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 24th April 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
rubixcube Thread Starter

Default shinobi xl dual 240 rads

hey all

For my new build I am definitely set on the bitfenix shinobi xl - I think its a really nice looking case. I know it can fit a 240 rad on the top, and one on the bottom or front (with removal of hdd cage) so I'm looking at adding a GPU block and another 240 rad to my existing xspc rasa rx240 kit. Definitely running either a 2500K or 3570K(which I have seen produces a lot of heat, hence I want to run a rad between CPU and GPU).

This poses a couple of questions.

1. is the xspc pump strong enough for these additions?

2. is the best running order as follows:
pump -> top rad -> cpu -> bottom/front rad -> gpu -> pump ?
I'm just worried about this looking ugly due to the tube having to run from cpu out to bottom rad in, which is quite a distance. I'm positive someone else here would be running a similar loop in a similar sized case - perhaps someone could suggest an alternative loop (or possibly case, as long as it has a window and good cable management, and is around $200)?

3. where do I put my hard drives if I have to remove the cage? Or does it not have to be removed for front rads? I have 3 x 3.5 drives and an SSD (can use 3.5 adapter if necessary). Considering the reservoir takes up 2 drive bays, plus a dvd drive, that only leaves 2 x 5.25 bays.

Thanks!

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th April 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Creekin

ive just done a review of the Shinobi XL and am working on a few mods to it atm
u can easy fit a 240 top bottom and front
and that would leave the ODD bays free for res/hdds

i also think it would be possible to shift the hdd rack back a bit and still fit a front rad but not a floor one.
how many hdds u got? u dont need an odd
i have also seen a pair of ssds mounted to the back side of the odd bay.

xspc pump
loop order doesnt matter beyond res before pump
make it as neat and easy as possible

Click to view full size!
Creekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:59 PM   #3
rubixcube Thread Starter

I was just reading that actually, nice review for a nice case

shift it back as in with no modification to the case? care to try it out for me since you've got one? :P

what other pumps would fit inside the xpsc res (if any)?

I've got three HDDs and an SSD, but I'd kinda like to keep an optical drive, I know you can install windows from USB but I CBF.

"loop order doesnt matter beyond res before pump"

If the outlet of the CPU goes directly to inlet of the GPU, isnt this very inefficient? shouldnt there be a rad in between?
Old 24th April 2012, 1:06 PM   #4
Creekin

no u dont need a rad in between, temps equalise over the loop...
the water has plenty of capacity

i am working on modding the XL to install a 140.3 in the front, or possibly a 200.

to move the hdd cage would only require drilling a few holes
which xspc res and pump do u have? the x20 or the d5?
Old 24th April 2012, 1:10 PM   #5
rubixcube Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
no u dont need a rad in between, temps equalise over the loop...
the water has plenty of capacity

i am working on modding the XL to install a 140.3 in the front, or possibly a 200.

to move the hdd cage would only require drilling a few holes
which xspc res and pump do u have? the x20 or the d5?
whichever one this is, looks like the x20

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16619

so youre saying I could just run 2 rads in whatever sequence? Or do I not need 2 rads?
Old 24th April 2012, 1:16 PM   #6
Creekin

yeah thats an x20 750
u will need 120.3 of rad for a cpu and gpu, minimum,
so 120.4 or 2x240 will do the trick
Old 24th April 2012, 1:18 PM   #7
rubixcube Thread Starter

Quote:
yeah thats an x20 750
u will need 120.3 of rad for a cpu and gpu, minimum,
so 120.4 or 2x240 will do the trick
thumbs down because the pump doesnt provide enough head to pump through that combination of blocks/rads?
I was looking at the price of the DDC pump and the XSPC res to fit, $100 for the pump and $50 for the res, considering I only paid $165 for my whole kit, that's a pretty large outlay
Old 24th April 2012, 1:20 PM   #8
Creekin

its just a cheap nasty pump
might be ok for a small loop but i wouldnt trust it..
most common pump is a D5 or ddc...both good.

check out the trading forums for bargains
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=15

first rule of wc
it aint cheap!
Old 24th April 2012, 1:26 PM   #9
rubixcube Thread Starter

Quote:
its just a cheap nasty pump
might be ok for a small loop but i wouldnt trust it..
most common pump is a D5 or ddc...both good.

check out the trading forums for bargains
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=15

first rule of wc
it aint cheap!
hmm well I might run it for a little while and see how my temps go, and then upgrade as necessary. thanks for all your help

Last edited by rubixcube; 24th April 2012 at 1:28 PM.
rubixcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 1:31 PM   #10
Creekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubixcube View Post
hmm well I might run it for a little while and see how my temps go,
good idea
Old 24th April 2012, 9:17 PM   #11
desudesu

Quote:
first rule of wc
it aint cheap!
listen to creekin watercooling (higher end wise) is still an expensive hobby, I kinda did the same as you, now just gathering parts such as pumps, rads and such to make my loop nicer, might even change out for a watercooled graphics card, but atm no cash to spend on the graphics.
desudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Reaper_1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by desudesu View Post
listen to creekin watercooling (higher end wise) is still an expensive hobby, I kinda did the same as you, now just gathering parts such as pumps, rads and such to make my loop nicer, might even change out for a watercooled graphics card, but atm no cash to spend on the graphics.
lol. I started with my GPU... bought a basic swiftech kit with the pump built into the CPU block from here and just connected that to my GPU block I kept my H50 on the CPU until now. I recently bought a new XSPC Raystorm and XSPC X20 750 pump/res (same as OP I think). Will be getting a proper rad soon (currently in the post) and will eventually buy a new pump and res

on topic, +1 to listening to creekin. He's like a WC god here

A rule (sort of) with watercooling is have a minimum of a 240 rad with CPU and when you add something to the loop, you add another rad (which makes it a 360 rad then). eg. I have a CPU and GPU on a 240 slim. Worst thing possible imo being that temps aren't the best...

Hope this helps
Reaper_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:21 AM   #13
VeritronX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_1994 View Post
lol. I started with my GPU... bought a basic swiftech kit with the pump built into the CPU block from here and just connected that to my GPU block I kept my H50 on the CPU until now. I recently bought a new XSPC Raystorm and XSPC X20 750 pump/res (same as OP I think). Will be getting a proper rad soon (currently in the post) and will eventually buy a new pump and res
The swiftech pump/cpu block combo uses a 10W ddc, you could just get a pump top for that and use it as a normal pump, they are pretty good. They can be modded to an 18W version pretty easily iirc, you just have to either short or un-short two pads that are next to each other. That combined with an xspc pump top/res would work nicely.
VeritronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 1:39 PM   #14
Reaper_1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritronX View Post
The swiftech pump/cpu block combo uses a 10W ddc, you could just get a pump top for that and use it as a normal pump, they are pretty good. They can be modded to an 18W version pretty easily iirc, you just have to either short or un-short two pads that are next to each other. That combined with an xspc pump top/res would work nicely.
yer, I have thought about it but I haven't put my thought into action yet... Hopefully it does better than my current pump.
Reaper_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote