Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Sony Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th April 2012, 8:26 AM   #1
droopz Thread Starter

Default Dust 514 thread? v.PCplayerstakingover

Just wanted to come here to see if any Aussies got into the closed beta and couldn't search down a thread.

I'm so incredibly pumped for this game and what it will do for persistant universe FPS I thought I'd make a thread.

http://www.dust514.com

Quote:
DUST 514 is a PS3-exclusive persistent shooter focused on intense infantry combat augmented by powerful vehicles. Uniquely, it is set in, and directly connected to, the thriving player driven universe of EVE Online.

Survive an evolving battlefield by customizing your character and vehicle fitting to fulfill the role of your choice – dominate the enemy as a specialized vehicle Pilot, support your squadmates as a Logistics officer, or storm the frontlines in your Assault armor. The battlefield has changed… will you?

A Galaxy of Battlefields

Engage in fierce firefights on the surface of planets spread throughout an interconnected universe populated by hundreds of thousands of EVE and DUST players. The outcome of battles in DUST 514 has repercussions for the world and other players; for better or worse, every minute you spend in New Eden means something.

An Immortal Soldier

Death is a learning experience. Fight, die, and develop your skills to become the character you want to be. Use skill points earned as you play (and even when you’re offline) to train skills that improve your battlefield effectiveness; make you proficient in the use of specialized gear; or enhance your ability to modify and upgrade existing gear.

Conflict as a Way of Life

Claim your rightful place in the galaxy! Form mercenary corporations with friends in DUST and EVE and work together to conquer planets and control entire star systems. Secure supply lines as you defend and attack locations on planets throughout New Eden.

An Economy Fueled by War

ISK earned in battle can be spent on the primary market to stock up on the latest items – weapons, turrets, equipment, armor, and modules – or search for bargains on the secondary player-driven market. Customize existing gear or purchase advanced and prototype weaponry and equipment for that extra edge on the battlefield.

Gameplay from Fanfest this year demoing a bit of the direct interaction with EvE Online. (Skip to 12:50 for the EvE bit.)

droopz is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th April 2012, 8:34 AM   #2
Combatants

I missed out on the beta myself completely bummed, this game is going to be sweet... except for the fact its PS3 only... will prob buy a ps3 just for this game however...
PSU: Silverstone Strider 750W | Case: NZXT Phantom White All Hail the Storm Trooper
Combatants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 8:38 AM   #3
droopz Thread Starter

Like most EvE Online players, I am your typical anti-console, expensive hardware PC playing elitist prick.

I, like many lamented and bitched about Dust514 being a PS3 exclusive title, but CCP did a pretty good job at expaining the reasoning at fanfest in their keynote.

(Long but worth watching if your interested in a bunch of the details...)

Anyway, the big turn off for a lot of us PC users is the thought of playing a FPS on a damn controller. With the confirmation from the devs that Dust514 will support standard USB mouse and KB out of the box, hopefully a number of the die hard EvE players will make the move over.

Compared to PC hardware a PS3 is cheap, so I bought one earlier this week in anticipation of the beta openeing up to select EvE subscribers in a few weeks.

Last edited by droopz; 26th April 2012 at 8:41 AM.
Old 26th April 2012, 8:39 AM   #4
droopz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatants View Post
I missed out on the beta myself completely bummed, this game is going to be sweet... except for the fact its PS3 only... will prob buy a ps3 just for this game however...
lol same excpet I already bought my PS3 on Monday.
Old 26th April 2012, 8:52 AM   #5
emblurr

Will we get hate emails from some elitist Eve player if the battle doesn't go exactly according to them?

PSN username: Emblur
emblurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 9:06 AM   #6
Combatants

I was wondering if you would be able to do that (hook up a kb and mouse)
if so then the small cost of the PS3 is worth it for this game... i hope... but i wont be rushing out till i get my copy of DUST first
PSU: Silverstone Strider 750W | Case: NZXT Phantom White All Hail the Storm Trooper
Old 26th April 2012, 9:09 AM   #7
droopz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emblurr View Post
Will we get hate emails from some elitist Eve player if the battle doesn't go exactly according to them?
I hope so. If your fighting for an EvE player or corp then the other team most likely will be as well.

I guess if they're really pissed at you they'll just bombard you from orbit until you run out of clones lol.

Other key points of interest;

- Its free to play.
- Betting on the outcome of matches will be supported in EvE
- Maps are dynamicly generated depending on the planet, terrain, region etc....
- There are planetary defences capable of destroying EvE players that are in orbit.
- Crafting and industry will be implimented once the market is settled and the core FPS is tweaked suffiently.
- Coop swarm mode against rogue drones will be one of the 'single player' typre modes.
- Hisec (High Security) planets are 'easy' drop in and fight type battles that are contracted by NPC corps. Losec and Nulsec are high stakes contracts put out by eve players. Often no rules apply, so if one team fields 10 players and the other fields 1, too bad. The team where only 1 showed up is going to lose that territory.

Last edited by droopz; 26th April 2012 at 9:34 AM.
Old 26th April 2012, 9:13 AM   #8
Combatants

I wouldn't expect to see the eve-dust crossover for at least 12 months of dust being open to public. But when it does i can imagine the 13yr olds screaming in highsec as they are ganked from orbit by some bored eve pilot.... oh i will be waiting young carebears await your destruction! ;p
Old 26th April 2012, 9:32 AM   #9
droopz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatants View Post
I wouldn't expect to see the eve-dust crossover for at least 12 months of dust being open to public. But when it does i can imagine the 13yr olds screaming in highsec as they are ganked from orbit by some bored eve pilot.... oh i will be waiting young carebears await your destruction! ;p
I think it will mesh faster than that. Once beta opens up to the EvE community and they see that its another way to make good ISK, they'll head over and the markets will start merging.

It's all about the ISK.
Old 26th April 2012, 3:01 PM   #10
MrBS

I'm in the ANZ PS3 beta group so I get all the betas

NDA prevents any more talk about Dust I'm afraid
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 3:07 PM   #11
droopz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBS View Post
I'm in the ANZ PS3 beta group so I get all the betas

NDA prevents any more talk about Dust I'm afraid
Thats cool. I just wanted to make sure Aussies were being represent in the first beta thats all.

Us high-pingers have to stick together.
Old 26th April 2012, 4:15 PM   #12
droopz Thread Starter

Fan Fest closed beta key redemption page just went online.
Old 26th April 2012, 9:49 PM   #13
Grideris

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopz View Post
Fan Fest closed beta key redemption page just went online.
It did indeed. I've already got mine in. Now is just the long wait for CCP to send me back my PSN key so I can start playing!
Grideris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 9:53 PM   #14
droopz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grideris View Post
It did indeed. I've already got mine in. Now is just the long wait for CCP to send me back my PSN key so I can start playing!
So jelly

Did you go to Fanfest or did one of the attendees gift you a key?

Last edited by droopz; 26th April 2012 at 9:56 PM.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:29 PM   #15
Grideris

Went to Fanfest.

Also, bonus, new dev blog: http://www.dust514.com/en/news/artic...c-battlefields
Grideris is offline   Reply With Quote