OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Newbie Lounge

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th April 2012, 9:17 PM   #1
battlebosun Thread Starter

Default Video convertion

Hi All,
I have a heap of kids movies on my laptop and want to burn them to a dvd so it can continuosly play with out me having to put a new dvd in at the end of each movie. My question is, what program do i need to do this, and where can i get it from? I am also looking at FREE software here as i am a tight a$$ lol

Cheers

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th April 2012, 9:25 PM   #2
Madengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlebosun View Post
Hi All,
I have a heap of kids movies on my laptop and want to burn them to a dvd so it can continuosly play with out me having to put a new dvd in at the end of each movie. My question is, what program do i need to do this, and where can i get it from? I am also looking at FREE software here as i am a tight a$$ lol

Cheers
Would you be happy with a data disc? If so, Nero? (Can fit 5-6 movies per disc)
Unfortunately at the current time I cannot really carry around my shotgun and knives unless at the Ranch™ however during the apocalypse they will most certainly be added to my daily carry
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 9:27 PM   #3
battlebosun Thread Starter

I want it so i n put it in a dvd player and just push play and let it play for the 4-6 movies. If data does that, than that would be good, but i data sounds like it isnt going to give me that option.
Old 26th April 2012, 9:41 PM   #4
Madengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlebosun View Post
I want it so i n put it in a dvd player and just push play and let it play for the 4-6 movies. If data does that, than that would be good, but i data sounds like it isnt going to give me that option.
Data discs will give you that option. But the problem is they dont play on all dvd players.....It has to be a divx compatible player
Unfortunately at the current time I cannot really carry around my shotgun and knives unless at the Ranch™ however during the apocalypse they will most certainly be added to my daily carry
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 12:57 AM   #5
schnappy

You could try ffmpeg's dvd mpeg2 profiles, then use dvdauthorgui. I've not wanted to play seperate tracks sequentially, but I do believe dvdauthorgui can set that up for you.
schnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 6:50 AM   #6
mareke

Nero gives you the option of joining all of them into one movie which will then play from start to finish.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 8:15 AM   #7
Akh-Horus
(Banned or Deleted)

I think I just need to clarify if the OP wants to turn movies into avi files......so a divX player can be used.
Akh-Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 8:51 AM   #8
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akh-Horus View Post
I think I just need to clarify if the OP wants to turn movies into avi files......so a divX player can be used.
The OP didn't indicate that he wanted to turn them into AVI files. He has lots of video files on his laptop and wants to burn them to a DVD disc and play them without the DVD player pausing at the end of each movie (Nero calls them chapters) so you have to use the remote to tell the DVD player to play the next. The Nero Vision part of the Nero program will give you the option of joining them all into one long continuous movie in a standard DVD format that will play in any DVD player. I have an old version of Nero and the merge option is hard to find but it's there and if after adding the movie files you highlight all of them and select 'merge' they all get combined into one movie with one title (you can make your own title or Nero will use the title of your first video file).
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 9:28 AM   #9
Renban21

Default My suggestion

Use something like WinAVI 9.0 convertor. Select all the movies and use the merge/join them into DVD-VCD format this should allow you fit 450 minutes on a standard DVD or approx 900 minutes on a DL-DVD. If the quality is too low try a DVD-SVCD format but this will reduce how many movies you can store. Also not all DVD players support the above formats.
Renban21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 1:06 PM   #10
ChaosMaster

If you have a premium version of Nero, you'll have the option to create a DVD using Nero Vision, and it has a built in converter for you. If you select auto quality, it'll auto drop the bitrate/quality so that you can fit a lot of eps onto the dvd. I've managed to fit 4hrs worth of vids on a disk before (was back ups from VHS so quality was crap to begin with). Would prob be your easiest option. Plays fine on any dvd player as it is a dvd and not a data disc.
1. Lian LI A71FB | Asus P6X58D Premium | i7-930 @ 3.99 1.2v | Corsair H50 | Corsair XMS 3x2GB DDR3 1800 C8 1.66v | Gigabyte GTX570 | OCZ V2 120GB + 5x 1TB WD Black+ 2x 7K3000 + 1.5TB + 750GB| QFAN 750w | Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe | Sennheiser HD555 | G9 + Topre RealForce + G35 |
Check out my FLICKR USB and SD card review
ChaosMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 8:08 PM   #11
luke o

You are wandering into the world of video codecs and the slapshod support that various appliances offer for them.

DVD is encoded in MPEG2, on a normal 4.7GB DVD you can get about 135 minutes of standard quality video. Most older DVD players DO NOT support lowering the bit rate/quality to fit more onto a disc! Some newer ones allow this "breaking of the standard" to cram more onto the disc but really MPEG2 is not a good format for this.

If you're desired player can handle DivX or Xvid (it will have a sticker on it), then you can encode with those codecs (the files will most likely be AVI). You can produce high quality results between 700MB and 1.4GB per movie, which gives you three to six movies per DVD. Not many DVD players can handle these formats and the ones that can usually have pretty strict requirements about the "specifications" they support.

The guides on Doom 9 are good if old: http://www.doom9.org/

Heaps of free software to convert DVD to other formats.
luke o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 3:55 PM   #12
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renban21 View Post
Use something like WinAVI 9.0 convertor.
Similarly I would recommend ConvertXtoDVD but it also costs $.
abbott on the NBN: "We're not against using the internet, errr, for all these things, ah but do we really want to invest $50billion dollars of hard earned tax payers money on what is essentially a video entertainment system."
| Co2 is weightless apparently
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote