Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd April 2012, 4:16 PM   #16
ddk Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXis View Post
There's nothing small about this. Standard serving sizes are 2 weetbix or 1/2 cup porridge.
Depends on whose 'standard' you're using. Two weetbix with two teaspoons of sugar and half a cup of full cream milk is only around 800-900kj. Breakfast should be around the 1500kj mark at least.
ddk is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd April 2012, 4:32 PM   #17
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk View Post
So, what you're suggesting is too much effort.
I disagree and think that it's less effort than you are expending at the moment. It isn't ONE meal, it's 4 or 5. You divvy it up. Stick it in the fridge or freezer, take it out and nuke it. You are cooking ONCE instead of every day.

I'm going to say something and I don't want you to think I'm having a go at you, because I'm not. Ok ?

Ok?

You seem to be looking to external factors to change you and your habits and you are rejecting suggestions because they are not good enough to "make" you change. They never will be. It needs to come from you. Somehow. We can't make the right meals appear at your house, and we can't give you the motivation to do anything other than what you are currently doing.

If you've got emotional issues making you eat and/or stopping you from doing anything to sort yourself out, food-wise, then you need a psychologist who deals with eating disorders.

If you are binge eating, you might qualify to get onto some home help services through your doctor or a psychologist. They come around and help get you doing things that you can't find the motivation for. If you could get a support worker around once a week and spend the time batching your meals for the week, that might help.
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
It is plain to see the question being asked before your total anecdotal irrelevance entered the discussion.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 4:32 PM   #18
aXis

Quote:
Depends on whose 'standard' you're using
Oh I agree, 2 weetbix is stuff all. What I said however is 4 weetbix is not small - but you seem to think it is. Not a big deal, but be prepared to reduce serving sizings in general if you want to be healthier.

Last edited by aXis; 23rd April 2012 at 4:35 PM.
aXis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 4:39 PM   #19
sormuijai

Can you not have something similar for lunch? Basically cook double at night time. Eat half for dinner and save the rest for lunch. If you have access to a sandwich press or microwave, can heat up. Otherwise, have it cold like a salad. You can always jazz up your meat and veg with some salad dressing or sauces you can keep in your bag/draw to make it a bit different. i.e. peri peri etc. Buy some bread/pita/tortillas, and suddenly you have a sandwich/wrap. Chop it up, add some eggs and you have frittata.

In terms of effort, there's not much difference in cooking 1 piece of chicken vs 2 pieces.

Once you get used to eating lunch, your dinner portion size can go down, because you're not starving by the time it comes to dinner.
Old 23rd April 2012, 4:58 PM   #20
Benno1988

By a loaf of bread Sunday. And a loaf Wednesday. Multigrain.

Go sliced ham Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Go sliced Chicken Thursday and Friday.

Weekend is the weekend, whatever.

Sandwiches are win. Simplist to shop for because anything goes on them. Easy to make because that anything just goes on it.
Benno1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 12:28 AM   #21
Grimace22

whats wrong with a god damn sandwhich for lunch Got a fridge at work? keep some sliced cheese, ham etc, tomato and put it together. There not much simpler than that im afraid, and yes you are talking to a fellow lazy bastard You could keep frozen veg in the freezer, cook two pieces of meat(when you cook dinner), one slightly undercooked, then nuke it in the microwave the next day?

Last edited by Grimace22; 27th April 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Grimace22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 11:47 AM   #22
purehybrid

Quote:
but I'm not at that stage yet.
imo, the fact that you posted this thread says you are at that stage. You've acknowledged to yourself that you want to do X... now fucking do it.

Set yourself 2 recurring phone alarms:
1) 6:30/7:00pm each night - Start cooking dinner
2) 10:00am saturday - Plan meals for next week

and just fucking do it. You don't need any more motivation... you had the motivation to make a forum thread = you have the motivation to set some alarms... and you're probably already used to doing things you don't wanna do that your phone tells you to do (ie getting up for work ).

[/URL]
purehybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 12:45 PM   #23
darkanjel

There's nothing wrong with eating once a day vs three or even five, so long as the total amount you eat doesn't exceed your daily requirements and your macros are right... The problem you're saying is you don't control your eating habits for when you skip meals.

I also had the same habit of only eating dinner daily until I moved out on my own. I gained 30kgs over the next three years eating two-three times daily. When I used a 2k deficit program to drop 10kgs over two months (once a year from 95 to 65), I used fillers like lite/soy milk, silken tofu, eggs and water to help with feeling satiated. I don't recommend it but I ate small amounts (50g-100g) of chips/snacks that are high sodium and that helped with drinking more water and was able to "skip meals" easier.

I also find it costs me more to eat right, the low salt/sugar/fat/anything option usually costs more due to lesser demand. As such I don't restrict my budget on food, I see it as paying for the body and body chemistry that I want. I also don't go nuts either but I'll spend at least $80 a week just on meat from the supermarket just for dinner.

Here are some simple and tasteless meal suggestions for lunch and the actual time it takes you to prepare it:
400g roast from Woolies - two minutes (shove in oven)
roast chicken/pork/lamb/beef - three minutes (shove in oven, put away left overs)
steamed fish with soy sauce - five minutes (scaling an already scaled fish then microwave)
steak and eggs - six minutes (this one you have to stand around to cook)
boiled eggs - three minutes (peeling shell)
silken tofu - one minute (open and microwave)
protein shake - three minutes (combine ingredients then blend)
tuna and beans salad - three minutes (open can of tuna, beans, corn, mix)

BTW, eating breakfast will make you more hungry for lunch. You may find it more comfortable to eat lunch and dinner instead of breakfast and dinner.
darkanjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 4:17 PM   #24
XST

I have been on this plan for a couple of months now, lost 17kg through it too . In general:

Breakfast - 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon
Lunch - Chicken salad
Dinner - variety of meats / veg / etc

My food bill is probably $70 per week or so. Very average approximation:

Eggs - $6 (I buy free range, but if you want to go cheaper, $2 homebrand cage eggs will do )
Bacon - $5
Chicken Breast $3.50 (5 servings)
Salad - $7 (Carrots, beans, cucumber, lettuce, lasts a week). I sometimes have this contributing towards dinner. I can't eat many cooked vegies, so that salad will do.
2 pieces lamb chop - $8
2 pieces pork chop - $8
2 pieces steak - $12
6 gourmet sausages: $6 (1 per day)
(small portions of each meat per meal, you'll be amazed how long it lasts you)

Total: $55.50. This leaves you spare to have take-away for one day, salad dressing, etc)

The above may not be for everyone, but I lost 17kg through it. www.marksdailyapple.com is a good resource for this style of living (and yes, I believe it's healthy)

Awesome Traders: mr_mordred2095 (x7), CD, Duck_Boy, comtechman911, Lem0n, Megido Flame, Volnhar, xb99, DraYTox, IceWind, MiniDisc, Leggit, Smokin Whale, dembones, JonBanez, chk, daehenoc (x2), MomijiTMO, Myst, akaminki, billet, mr_wrxman, _slappy_dn_, maarty, Raverz, Ash_Williams, Kevlarman, Euphoreia (x3), Matster, slingshotpk, WuzzA21

Last edited by XST; 27th April 2012 at 4:19 PM.
XST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 8:17 PM   #25
Widman

Quote:
This is about habit forming and one of the things that keeps me from forming good eating habits, ie. three properly proportioned meals a day, is that I look for any excuse not to change.
QFT

Cliches are cliches because they are true ....

"Change comes from within"

Write what you want to do on a piece of paper.
Photocopy it 100 times
Stick it everywhere - bathroom, toilet, bedroom, back of front door, next to telephone, screensaver on computer, on your phone, front of the phone book, steeringwheel of car, everywhere so that everytime you start thinking in the old way you are reminded that you PROMISED YOURSELF you would think in a new and different way.

It's up to you pal, no one else can make it happen.

Good luck
Peace

Last edited by Widman; 27th April 2012 at 8:27 PM. Reason: To add something constructive
Widman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 8:58 PM   #26
lethoso

Quote:
By complex I mean... when it comes to cooking, I'm incredibly lazy. Unless cooking for others, I tend to find anything more than microwaving to be a hassle. It's odd, but when I cook for others, I tend to pull out all the stops and don't even mind the cleaning up afterwards. But for myself? Ugh, pushing a button sometimes is even too much effort.
If slowcooking is too much effort for you then you might as well just resign yourself to a slow death by fast food. It's definitely the lowest effort method of cooking. I do a slow cooker meal once or twice a week & freeze it in portions, roughly an hour or two of chopping shit up while I watch tv, throw it in the slowcooker, come back later and it's done. Mix with the last few weeks of cooking and I eat a different meal each night, for a bare minimum of effort.

You sound like you need to fix your brain problems not your diet. Though a better diet will probably help with the brain problems too.
Old 27th April 2012, 9:29 PM   #27
broccoli

ddk, if you are still out there, we can help jolly you along to try to make some changes. Please don't think it's hopeless, because it may not be
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
It is plain to see the question being asked before your total anecdotal irrelevance entered the discussion.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 9:19 PM   #28
GrueHunter

Geez, dude asked for lunch recipes, not guidance counselling.

Tuna and rice

185g can tuna in olive oil
1/2 bag '90 second' microwaved brown rice
Handful of rocket leaves, ripped up
Mandarin segments cut in half

Mix. Don't drain the tuna. Eat.

Eggs 'n' muffins

English muffin, toasted
2 eggs, poached in microwave poacher
Rocket leaves
Sliced tomato

Put sliced tomato, rocket and an egg on each half of muffin. Eat.
GrueHunter is offline   Reply With Quote