Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th April 2012, 9:20 AM   #31
alwaysaskin Thread Starter

I have learned here that unless my receiver support pass-through having anything in front of it wonít enhance the sound quality. I have researched this issue but I cannot find anything on it either way so I think Iíve come to a full stop so thanks to all those who gave positive contributions.
alwaysaskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th April 2012, 10:27 AM   #32
deluxe

alwaysaskin, your biggest issue is the files you play.
Rip CDs to lossless flac files for anything you really want to sound good (wav is fine but chews space) , or 320kbps MP3s for less-important stuff if storage space is an issue. (I'm guessing it's not?)

You have decent midrange gear, so I'd suggest there's two good connection methods:

Easy, and good sound:

PC analog audio (3.5mm TRS) out > decent connector cable (like one of those Belkin ones)> Amplifier > Speakers

More complicated, marginally better sound:

PC sp/dif digital > toslink cable > outboard DAC > RCA cable > Amplifier > Speakers

Personally I'd try the first method as it shouldn't involve purchases except for maybe the connector cable.

You mentioned an M-Audio soundcard- these are awesome for audio recording and MIDI control purposes but massively overkill for playback.

Your onboard soundcard should be doing 24bit/48khz (DVD audio grade) which is more than sufficient. If you're really not happy with it after doing all of the above, try a basic gaming soundcard.

Last edited by deluxe; 26th April 2012 at 1:31 PM. Reason: corrected an omission in the sp/dif connection path
deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:32 AM   #33
deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaskin View Post
I have learned here that unless my receiver support pass-through having anything in front of it wonít enhance the sound quality. I have researched this issue but I cannot find anything on it either way so I think Iíve come to a full stop so thanks to all those who gave positive contributions.
Don't assume that- grab your model number and check it out.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:11 PM   #34
pezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe View Post
Personally I'd try the first method as it shouldn't involve purchases except for maybe the connector cable.
second method doesn't require any purchases as well. the receiver will work as a dac/amplifier combined.
pezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 1:30 PM   #35
deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezzy View Post
second method doesn't require any purchases as well. the receiver will work as a dac/amplifier combined.
True!

PC sp/dif digital > toslink cable > Amplifier > Speakers
Old 27th April 2012, 10:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe View Post
Don't assume that- grab your model number and check it out.
I did research my AVR and found an installation manual which said nothing about It. I also ofund some specs for it which didint say anything about it either. I will continue to research this as it seems to be the key.

I would appreciate recommendations for a sound card that will decode 24bit/48khz (DVD audio grade) as it seems the M-audio capability is more than I need. My MB will take PCI and PCIe.

If I can establish that my AVR 1905 has pass through then I will have another look at something that may do the trick.

A hundred or so $ for a soundcard is definately a lot cheaper than $500+ for a DAC device.

thanks all

Last edited by alwaysaskin; 27th April 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 29th April 2012, 2:10 PM   #37
Loop Goose

Arrow

Pretty much any soundcard on the market these days can handle 24bit/48kHz,

I'm currently using an HT Omega Claro, which is quite an old card now, but it has great specifications for audio, and it has a very strong amp onboard, compared to the Creative cards I had a while back, but this won't mean much since you have an AV receiver already.

There are a few new cards out since I bought the original Claro, in 2008 or so, the HT eClaro is a PCIe soundcard that is getting good reviews, it is very basic, it just has optical, 3.5mm jack and a DSUB connector that has mic and line outs etc. It costs $179 on Amazon

The HT Omega Claro Plus+ costs around $120 used on eBay, which is the higher model of the Claro. There is also the Claro II now, but I have read that it is very similar to the original Claro, with very few new features, and a higher price tag. ($185 on Amazon)

The HT Claro Halo might be of interest to you, it has RCA connectors on board, and also optical in/out. It's priced around $199 on Amazon. The Halo card is the main card, the XT is the additional card it connects into for the individual 7.1 RCA connectors.

There is a comparison chart that lets you compare features of all their cards, so you can choose what suits you best. These cards are all based on the C-Media CMI8788 chip, whereas Creative cards are X-Fi or something else.

I haven't used any of the new Creative cards, so this might seem a bit biased, but I'm just going with what I'm familiar and happy with

bendrury.com.au

Last edited by Loop Goose; 29th April 2012 at 2:12 PM.
Loop Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 5:05 PM   #38
pezzy

or you can save some money and buy the cheapest soundcard available with an optical out. eg asus xonar dg.

imo, going analogue at the soundcard stage is too costly for now. new soundcard, a decent interconnect, and (if it was me) an integrated amp ditching the receiver. i'd consider this option only after you're not satisfied with soundcard optical -> receiver -> speakers.

Last edited by pezzy; 29th April 2012 at 5:10 PM.
pezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 5:45 PM   #39
slobber

Agreed a decent soundcard will be you best first option using RCA or optical

I know you have stated you dont have the original CD's any more but can you borrow your favourites and re rip ???,

Re the quality of your rips, which software have you been using ???, I use Foobar2000 to rip/play all my media but there are many other rippers/players out there, just remember to convert to FLAC (free lossless audio codec)

Remember the quality of your source material is the most important component for aural bliss

Oh and you dont brought something, you buy it
Describe the sound for me so I can close my eyes and touch myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
If you watched this show voluntarily you should be sent to the ovens.
slobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 6:01 PM   #40
deepulse

Quote:
I did research my AVR and found an installation manual which said nothing about It. I also ofund some specs for it which didint say anything about it either. I will continue to research this as it seems to be the key.

I would appreciate recommendations for a sound card that will decode 24bit/48khz (DVD audio grade) as it seems the M-audio capability is more than I need. My MB will take PCI and PCIe.

If I can establish that my AVR 1905 has pass through then I will have another look at something that may do the trick.

A hundred or so $ for a soundcard is definately a lot cheaper than $500+ for a DAC device.

thanks all
Is this your receiver?

If so, it supports optical and coax digital input so you should be fine on your receiver end, so I would start looking at your software configuration, as well as setting up your receiver correctly.
deepulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 9:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop Goose View Post
Pretty much any soundcard on the market these days can handle 24bit/48kHz,

I'm currently using an HT Omega Claro, which is quite an old card now, but it has great specifications for audio, and it has a very strong amp onboard, compared to the Creative cards I had a while back, but this won't mean much since you have an AV receiver already.

There are a few new cards out since I bought the original Claro, in 2008 or so, the HT eClaro is a PCIe soundcard that is getting good reviews, it is very basic, it just has optical, 3.5mm jack and a DSUB connector that has mic and line outs etc. It costs $179 on Amazon

The HT Omega Claro Plus+ costs around $120 used on eBay, which is the higher model of the Claro. There is also the Claro II now, but I have read that it is very similar to the original Claro, with very few new features, and a higher price tag. ($185 on Amazon)

The HT Claro Halo might be of interest to you, it has RCA connectors on board, and also optical in/out. It's priced around $199 on Amazon. The Halo card is the main card, the XT is the additional card it connects into for the individual 7.1 RCA connectors.

There is a comparison chart that lets you compare features of all their cards, so you can choose what suits you best. These cards are all based on the C-Media CMI8788 chip, whereas Creative cards are X-Fi or something else.

I haven't used any of the new Creative cards, so this might seem a bit biased, but I'm just going with what I'm familiar and happy with
I'll check this out: comparison chart thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 9:32 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobber View Post
Agreed a decent soundcard will be you best first option using RCA or optical

I know you have stated you dont have the original CD's any more but can you borrow your favourites and re rip ???,

Re the quality of your rips, which software have you been using ???, I use Foobar2000 to rip/play all my media but there are many other rippers/players out there, just remember to convert to FLAC (free lossless audio codec)

Remember the quality of your source material is the most important component for aural bliss

Oh and you dont brought something, you buy it
Over the weekend I found out they no longer exist. We live and we learn.
Old 30th April 2012, 9:35 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepulse View Post
Is this your receiver?
I think any card I get will have toslink or coax cable out put for ease of connection - thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 9:44 AM   #44
Pugs

just a shame it doesn't have hdmi. other wise that would be a good little avr..
Pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 2:28 PM   #45
slobber

Quote:
Over the weekend I found out they no longer exist. We live and we learn.
Google is your friend

I'm sure you will find what your looking for in one format or another
Describe the sound for me so I can close my eyes and touch myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
If you watched this show voluntarily you should be sent to the ovens.
slobber is offline   Reply With Quote