Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th July 2011, 9:23 AM   #31
Gierke

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Gotta love schools.

I heard a school admin once refer to students as "hostiles". After hearing the horror stories, he was just about right.
I am so going to start using that. I can only confirm said horror stories.

I have nothing against gays or spiders, but I'll still scream if I find one in the shower.
Gierke is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st July 2011, 6:07 PM   #32
thetron

I can recommend fog server highly. Exactly like Ghost really

Faster and Quickest way deploy a fleet of computer using Multicast
If your on a domain. You can choose to join them to the domain and change hostname remotely
Also automatically install pre-packaged software and drivers at the end of the install

Why spend 45 mins on a zero touch deployment on 20 PC using Windows SCCM/MDT solution. Not to mention the expensive license fees because the IT manager loyal to Microsoft
When you can spend half the time using FOG

*flame suit on in 3... 2.... 1*

Why do I say "SCCM/MDT Sucks?" :
I worked for multination outsource company beginning with a H and ending in P. My 6 week contract was to complete a rollout for their Brisbane based mining client and deploy 200 machine and deadline of 2 weeks to build everything before being shipped out. Our deadline getting closer and close because of SCCM/MDT images provided were never tested and kept failing task sequence.

Also the installation using CD/DVD media took around 45 min to 1hr. Compared to 15-20 mins it would take to complete a fog deployment using Multicasting

Unfortunately the Mining company never gave me the clearance to go ahead. Because they worried about "unknown bugs" and thats totally understandable

Last edited by thetron; 31st July 2011 at 7:20 PM.
thetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 12:58 PM   #33
bubblegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetron View Post

If your on a domain. You can choose to join them to the domain and change hostname remotely
Also automatically install pre-packaged software and drivers at the end of the install

Why spend 45 mins on a zero touch deployment on 20 PC using Windows SCCM/MDT solution. Not to mention the expensive license fees because the IT manager loyal to Microsoft

I worked for multination outsource company beginning with a H and ending in P. My 6 week contract was to complete a rollout for their Brisbane based mining client and deploy 200 machine and deadline of 2 weeks to build everything before being shipped out. Our deadline getting closer and close because of SCCM/MDT images provided were never tested and kept failing task sequence.

Also the installation using CD/DVD media took around 45 min to 1hr. Compared to 15-20 mins it would take to complete a fog deployment using Multicasting

Unfortunately the Mining company never gave me the clearance to go ahead. Because they worried about "unknown bugs" and thats totally understandable
Learn how to use SCCM correctly then next time? *dons flame suit*
Old 1st August 2011, 1:54 PM   #34
thetron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegoose View Post
Learn how to use SCCM correctly then next time? *dons flame suit*
I wasn't responsible for that

I would do a proper job. Not this bs!
Old 1st August 2011, 2:56 PM   #35
Matt_NZ

Quote:

MDT and SCCM are independent (although they can be combined if you like). MDT is a free download from Microsoft and can be combined with WDS that comes as a standard Windows Server role for the PXE element. Assuming you have a Windows Server, if you do it the Microsoft way there's no need to pay anything for a deployment setup.

As for the images not being tested, you can't fault that on MDT/SCCM but the image designer

ASUS P6T SE ~ Intel i7 930 ~ Gigabyte 9800GTS ~ 6gb DDR3 RAM ~ 500gb SATA Seagate HDD ~ LiteScribe ASUS DVD-RW ~ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Currently addicted to: Star Wars Galaxies (Obraik on Chilastra)
Matt_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 3:03 PM   #36
thetron

Believe me. It's much slower

Network and offline
Old 4th August 2011, 12:18 PM   #37
BAK

Quote:

Network and offline
The reason that a MDT "image" rollout is slower than a WDS image rollout is because MDT actually installs the programs to the machines whereas WDS (and other image rollout software such as Ghost etc) simply copy the image to the machine's hard drive.

WDS in Windows 2008 R2 allows for driver groups too. We're using it at the high school I work at, we have a base image and then add driver groups to WDS. It installs them based on hardware match - if the driver matches hardware in the workstation being imaged, the driver will be installed, otherwise it will skip.

MDT and SCCM allow for much greater flexibility on which apps are installed where, but so far (in a school environment where everything runs the same SOE) WDS is the solution for us. It's miles better than the ghost implementation we had purely because you only have to update one image - as hardware specific drivers etc are separate to the image, whereas ghost we had one image per machine type.
Old 4th August 2011, 1:19 PM   #38
Zoltag

Quote:

Network and offline
I suspect that only applies if all of the machines in your environment are identical (such as rolling out 200 new PCs). In an environment with lots of different types of machines (schools, for instance), trying to build and maintain separate images for all the machine types and different app builds on similar machine types would negate the benefits of running a clone installation over the network.
Zoltag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 1:53 PM   #39
Matt_NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
The reason that a MDT "image" rollout is slower than a WDS image rollout is because MDT actually installs the programs to the machines whereas WDS (and other image rollout software such as Ghost etc) simply copy the image to the machine's hard drive.

WDS in Windows 2008 R2 allows for driver groups too. We're using it at the high school I work at, we have a base image and then add driver groups to WDS. It installs them based on hardware match - if the driver matches hardware in the workstation being imaged, the driver will be installed, otherwise it will skip.

MDT and SCCM allow for much greater flexibility on which apps are installed where, but so far (in a school environment where everything runs the same SOE) WDS is the solution for us. It's miles better than the ghost implementation we had purely because you only have to update one image - as hardware specific drivers etc are separate to the image, whereas ghost we had one image per machine type.
Indeed. We had been using Ghost at my workplace but with HP updating their models each year, while still having to maintain previous models, we ended up with excessive amounts of images to keep track of for each hardware config. With MDT and WDS it's now just one image for each OS. So much easier to keep track of things and up to date.

I'm also quite liking how customisable the whole thing is. I've customised a few of the processes to allow us to pick the correct AD OU for the machine during the install, activating Windows (no KMS server here, yet), pinning items to the taskbar and other potential mods that I'm looking into to streamline the rollout process even more.

ASUS P6T SE ~ Intel i7 930 ~ Gigabyte 9800GTS ~ 6gb DDR3 RAM ~ 500gb SATA Seagate HDD ~ LiteScribe ASUS DVD-RW ~ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Currently addicted to: Star Wars Galaxies (Obraik on Chilastra)
Matt_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 4:39 PM   #40
thetron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltag View Post
I suspect that only applies if all of the machines in your environment are identical (such as rolling out 200 new PCs). In an environment with lots of different types of machines (schools, for instance), trying to build and maintain separate images for all the machine types and different app builds on similar machine types would negate the benefits of running a clone installation over the network.
Not really. Before you would sysprep you paste all the driver you'd want into one image

There otherway would be to:
Load the Base image onto a system and create separate group for each type of machine setup for deploying those specific drivers

Last edited by thetron; 4th August 2011 at 4:41 PM.
thetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 5:30 PM   #41
Swathe

Today I decided to give FOG a whirl, installed it on ubuntu server 12.04. All I can say is I'm pretty impressed so far. It took longer to install ubuntu server than it took to get fog up and running and left work with it uploading an image from a windows 7 workstation. Tomorrow I'll see how pushing the image out goes. Being able to put storage nodes in remote locations holding the image is great too so because of how widespread our organization is I'll be able to easily deploy images remotely with no fuss.
OCAU MetaL Club Member #207
Swathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 6:03 PM   #42
Moki

WDS is free. It's part of WAIK (Windows Automated Install Kit) if I remember correctly. It does however require Windows Server 2003 as a minimum. WDS allows you to set a boot image and install image (boot.wim and install.wim) from you Windows 7 DVD.

There's also MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) which allows you to automate your windows deployments to a degree. It's technically an LTI (lite touch install aka some interaction but not much). But there isn't much you can't automate using it.

Starting with WDS is a good idea but I think it might require a domain.

There are some open source alternatives that don't require domains.