Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd May 2012, 7:58 AM   #1
ScrumpyJim Thread Starter

Default Possible Return

You guys think it's a valid reason to return headphones if the 7.1 doesnt work in windows 7 x64? I realise they are probably pretty shite headphones for audiophiles but I picked up some Plantronics Gamecom 777 headphones yesterday only to realise after I opened, plugged in and listened to them something wasnt sounding right. So a quick google later and I find out its a known issue and the 'fix' that was provided was to get the new model is them which is the 870 i think it was.
ScrumpyJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd May 2012, 8:14 AM   #2
Benno1988

The best thing you could do for your ears would be to buy a decent set of stereo headphones built for music and a soundcard.

There is nothing a 5.1/7.1 headset is better than a good stereo set at. Nothing. Except wasting your money.

EDIT: Yes, return them. Buy stereo.

Last edited by Benno1988; 3rd May 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Benno1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 9:02 AM   #3
ScrumpyJim Thread Starter

I have no doubt that decent stereo heaphones are awesome. My question though was, would it be seen as a valid reason for a return if the 7.1 aspect of the headphones doesnt function in windows 7 x64?
ScrumpyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 9:08 AM   #4
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrumpyJim View Post
I have no doubt that decent stereo heaphones are awesome. My question though was, would it be seen as a valid reason for a return if the 7.1 aspect of the headphones doesnt function in windows 7 x64?
On the face of it if they are advertised as being 7:1 headphones and this feature doesn't work in Windows 7 64 bit and this exclusion is not mentioned on the package then they don't do what they are supposed to do and you should be within your rights to return them. The shop may be able to argue that the fault is with Microsoft however so it’s somewhat murky. If they come with software to make them work as 7:1 in Windows then the fault lies with the speaker manufacturer rather than Microsoft and the speaker manufacturer should state that they won't work as 7:1 in Windows 7 64 bit so I'd say you have a good case. Perhaps ring Consumer Affairs first to see what they say.

Last edited by mareke; 3rd May 2012 at 9:26 AM.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Drubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
On the face of it if they are advertised as being 7:1 headphones and this feature doesn't work in Windows 7 64 bit and this exclusion is not mentioned on the package then they don't do what they are supposed to do and you should be within your rights to return them.
This is the main issue. If it clearly disclaims any non-compatibility on the packaging, it's really down to whether the shop they do anything. Some will, because it's called customer service and that gets return business, others won't.
Drubbing is offline   Reply With Quote