Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd May 2012, 7:06 AM   #1
NitroGuy Thread Starter

Default How do I know if this Win7 key is legit?

hi all, a friend of mine gave me a win7 pro key that he doesn't need and he assures me it's legit, but i don't know if it's legit or not personally. i've installed it using a win7 iso from digital river, but i haven't tried activating it yet. i don't want to break any rules so i haven't tried activating it yet. lets say i try to activate it and it works, does this mean the key is legit and i'm not breaking any rules or will it stop working later on? how does it work?

i'd buy my own key but the cheapest i could find was around $200 for the home premium version.

thanks
NitroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd May 2012, 7:59 AM   #2
CAPT-Irrelevant

1) Attempt activation anyway. If it's illegit, it'll reject the key and tell you to call MS.
2) Call MS.
FALADIS - P6T-SE | i7 920 + Zalman CNPS 10X | 8GB XMS3 C8 | Sapphire 5870 1GB | Seagate 7200.12 500GB + 1TB | FT01 | CoolerMaster 1000W | LG BH12LS38 | G15 (v2) | W7 x64 Ultimate | Creative I-Trigue 3400
PHYRAXUS - DP67DE | i3 2100 | 2GB XMS3 C9 | EVGA GT430 1GB | Samsung F4EG HD204UI 2TB x4 | PC-V354B | OCZ Fatal1y 550W | Fedora 15 x64 + 4TB MDRAID5
ASICUS - ASUS N53SV (W8 x64 Ultimate) | HYPHAERION - HP Compaq 2510p (Fedora 17 x64)
CAPT-Irrelevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 7:59 AM   #3
ScrumpyJim

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...nal+oem&spos=3

$124 for Win7 Pro OEM.

I would think you would be ok using the key you have though as long as it works. an I cant see MS knocking on your door or sending out feds if you do use it and it does work but is later found to be dodgy. if that occurs just go buy an oem as I listed above. until then, use the key you have.
ScrumpyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 8:01 AM   #4
mareke

If you try activating it and it works it's legit. If it doesn't then all that will happen is that you'll get a message saying it's not a valid key and then you'll be directed to a site where you'll be encouraged to buy a legitimate version of the program with a valid key.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 9:22 AM   #5
pugsley100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
hi all, a friend of mine gave me a win7 pro key that he doesn't need and he assures me it's legit, but i don't know if it's legit or not personally. i've installed it using a win7 iso from digital river, but i haven't tried activating it yet. i don't want to break any rules so i haven't tried activating it yet. lets say i try to activate it and it works, does this mean the key is legit and i'm not breaking any rules or will it stop working later on? how does it work?
I bought a key once that worked successfully for a year but then I got a message onscreen telling me that I was a victim of piracy.
I was directed by the message to the Microsoft Get Genuine website where I was invited to part with some money at OEM prices in return for a legitimate key being emailed to me followed up by some genuine media being sent via courier.
If your gifted key eventually proves to be dodgy some time in the future it's just a matter of changing the key in your present installation and activating.

Last edited by pugsley100; 3rd May 2012 at 9:25 AM.
pugsley100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Recharge

when Micro$oft stops charging Australia Double that of the US (even though our dollar is higher than theirs), then they can come talk to you about "breaking the rules", till then, they reap what the sew as far as I'm concerned.

all is fair in love and business.

give it a shot, what have you got to lose, it's not like windows will instantly self implode and cause your system to burst into flame.
Chronic pain sufferer. so please forgive if I'm snarky or irritable.
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:51 PM   #7
glenpinn

another win 7 thread by NitroGuy ???

type Windows 7 Product Key Checker into GOOGLE and download a win 7 key checking tool, that will tell you what type of key you have been given.

was his key written on a bit of paper and given to you ???

did he tell you where it came from ???

the small program i told you to get (above) will tell you if its one of the following types (i dont think we are allowed to post links to key checkers in here)

1. retail key from the retail channel (you can use it, as long as its not on any other computer while you have it activated)

2. retail key from the MSDN channel (you CANNOT use it period, and if he got it from someone else, then you can bet it is a black listed key)

3. OEM key from the OEM channel (there are 3 types of OEM keys available, but thats not really the issue here, however technically you can use a NON-SLP OEM or a COA-OEM key on another computer to the one it was originally activated on, but it will not be legally licensed under the microsoft licensing rules)

yeah it all gets pretty complicated, but im only trying to help, and i would not try activating it until you know what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
If you try activating it and it works it's legit. If it doesn't then all that will happen is that you'll get a message saying it's not a valid key and then you'll be directed to a site where you'll be encouraged to buy a legitimate version of the program with a valid key.
yes, if the key activates, it may well be a legitimate key of some sort, but just because a key is activated by the activation service, does not mean the installation he has is legit and legal, because the key might be already in use elsewhere, and he might be breaking the licensing agreement for the particular type of key he has.

also, just giving a key to someone without any of the media, packaging, or COA sticker does not make that person the legal owner of that license, and activating the key will also make this activation unlicensed.

MSDN keys are for use by the rightful account holder to use on his own systems for testing and evaluation purposes only, and they are restricted to a certain number of activations, after which the key gets struck off the server and becomes unusable again, and if this key here is an MSDN key, then chances are it was obtained illegally, and it will, at some time, get terminated by microsoft.

AND i wish all you guys in ocau would stop bagging microsoft for charging too much for windows 7, if you pay too much for it (ie: you buy a retail pack) then its your own faulty, because you can buy a legal copy of home premium for as low as $95 if you open your eyes, use GOOGLE and find them.

nobody needs to pay hundreds of $$$ for a retail copy of win 7, because the OEM is exactly the same thing, only you get only 1 disc (32bit or 64bit) in the pack, but the key you get will work on both.

the only difference between retail and OEM is the stupid licensing, but in reality, you just use the oem in the same way as a retail version, microsoft will still activate an oem key on any computer, just like the retail one.

stop being a bunch of stingy tight asses and stop complaining about it, they are cheap, and they are out there, otherwise go and pirate the dam thing, but if you do, your a thief.

Last edited by glenpinn; 3rd May 2012 at 1:37 PM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 11:22 AM   #8
NitroGuy Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
ok thanks a lot.

so if it works at activation it won't 'deactivate' later on? i just wanted to be sure.
NitroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Recharge

Quote:
ok thanks a lot.

so if it works at activation it won't 'deactivate' later on? i just wanted to be sure.
no, keys can deactivated later on, part of the endless chase of pirated keys, when one is used enough times, it's put on the ban list.
Chronic pain sufferer. so please forgive if I'm snarky or irritable.

Last edited by Recharge; 13th May 2012 at 5:40 PM.
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 10:37 PM   #10
glenpinn

Quote:
ok thanks a lot.
thats not true exactly, any key can be de-activated by the microsoft activation service, it all depends on the type of key it is, and/or how many machines the activation server detects that it is activated on, and believe me, microsoft can, and will detect multiple activations of the same key, and at any time, one, or more of those computers can, and will be served with de-activation (black screen) and a message on the screen telling you to contact them about it, or go buy another license.

if you dont abuse the licensing that applies to the version you have, it will never be de-activated, so you will be safe.

as mentioned above, MSDN keys are the most likely key to be de-activated, either because of abuse, or from running out of legit activations, and this is why i suggested downloading a win 7 key checker to see what type of license your key is, if it is MSDN, i already told you not to use it, if its from the oem or retail channel, then more than likely that key doesnt belong to your friend either, so again, it will be illegal for you to use it.

you can choose to ignore my help or advice like you have done in the past in some of your other windows 7 threads where you have been trying to get cheap copies of windows 7, and if you had of accepted my offer of a free, legitimate oem copy of win 7 home premium to help you out of a pickle you were in, you wouldnt still be trying to do it on the cheap.

Last edited by glenpinn; 11th May 2012 at 11:49 PM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 11:46 AM   #11
kripz

It's only partially legit if you dont have the COA sticker stuck to your case?

Question should be: what key does this unlock and will it activate?