Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd May 2012, 3:45 PM   #1
amsm Thread Starter

Default What to do with Habanero Chillis

So my Habanero plant went nutso this year and we have a whole heap of deadly hot little orange suckers to deal with.

Does anyone have any good tried and true recipies to safely consume the bounty ?
Successful trades: choderboy, peterkov, StuartL, MickybD, amarkin, tangcla, altorus, martynh, chester123, daveaus, goodguy82, Turbo56K, Bonzo_1, ralfmuller, MorgzMods, inm8, strictlybmx, -Rancor-, Kevwann, ply-boi, Sir Bazz,Ma Baker

My Redbubble My Picasaweb When to use than and when to use then
amsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd May 2012, 3:49 PM   #2
guy.incogneto

where are you located? wanna sell some to me?
guy.incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 3:52 PM   #3
amsm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.incogneto View Post
where are you located? wanna sell some to me?
Located in Geelong area

Um, most are in the freezer now, so probably not really suitable for sale
Successful trades: choderboy, peterkov, StuartL, MickybD, amarkin, tangcla, altorus, martynh, chester123, daveaus, goodguy82, Turbo56K, Bonzo_1, ralfmuller, MorgzMods, inm8, strictlybmx, -Rancor-, Kevwann, ply-boi, Sir Bazz,Ma Baker

Old 2nd May 2012, 3:54 PM   #4
zdream

Wanna send me some frozen!

damn I need you to teach me to grow some! i'll shoot a PM later haha
Old 2nd May 2012, 4:01 PM   #5
amsm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdream View Post
Wanna send me some frozen!

damn I need you to teach me to grow some! i'll shoot a PM later haha
No magic...stick a plant in the ground, water it, feed it occasionally and away you go.

Some years they do well, others not so well..this year was a good one. last year, I got one scungy shrivelled up little thing that was barely recognisable...but was still bloody hot !

Old 2nd May 2012, 4:28 PM   #6
Al_fire

make some hot sauce, i usually got for

about 15-20 chilis
1/2 head of garlic
1 onion
2 sticks of celery
1 medium carrot
2 limes
pinch of salt
1 cup of white vinegar
and half a cup of water

Dice all of the ingredients except for the limes, cut them in half and squeeze the juice into a pot, put all of the ingredients together in a pot with a lid on and bring to the boil, simmer until all ingredients are soft enough to blend smooth, then pass through a strainer or some coffee filter paper. Adjust with seasoning and reduce a little if you want a slightly thicker sauce.

Just a pretty basic hot sauce recipe, always serves me well when the family has too many chilis at the end of the season. Google for some interesting twists on hab sauce recipes, there are heaps of peoples personal variations out there.

Or you could always just stuff them with cream/american cheese, crumb and then deep fry them and smash them over a few jars of ale over a game of your favorite contact sport. Never failed with that one.
Al_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 6:39 PM   #7
TerminalVeloCD

Make a really hot Indian-style curry?

All you need is oil, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic, sugar, salt, onions, tomatoes, coriander, stock or water, meat or vegetables (your choice) and your chillies.

Cook whole spices in a little oil until you smell the aroma of cinnamon, then add finely chopped onions and fry until translucent. Add julliens of ginger and crushed garlic and fry further until garlic is cooked and loses raw flavour. Add quartered tomatoes (1:1 ratio with meat/vegetables) and chopped chillies (to taste) and cook until pulpy and oil separates. Strain and dispose of tomato skins and whole spices (or alternatively, blend with a hand blender). Add sugar and salt (to taste) and adjust consistency with stock or water (add more if using beef or lamb), bring to boil and add your choice of meats or vegetables. Simmer with lid on until meat/vegetables are cooked. Garnish with chopped coriander.
Antec 902v3 | Antec EarthWatts EA-750 | ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe (2003) | Intel Core i7 3770K L214C161 (45x / 1.23V) | Corsair Hydro H80 (Noctua NF-F12 PWM x2) | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB PC12800 DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V) | 2x EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 680 SuperClocked+ 2GB SLI | Dell UltraSharp U2713HM | Logitech X-530

Last edited by TerminalVeloCD; 2nd May 2012 at 6:41 PM.
TerminalVeloCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 9:15 PM   #8
Stone2x

I've ended up with several hundred this year after having 2 last year... I've been drying some, freezing some and making jams and sauces. Jams are easy as... Get a quantity of fruit, a few chillies, some sugar and some pectin (from ebay) and it takes about 30-45 mins to make a bunch of jam. I've made mango and orange hab so far, not sure what other flavour fruit to use now.
Stone2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 9:27 AM   #9
richard0296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_fire View Post
make some hot sauce, i usually got for

about 15-20 chilis
1/2 head of garlic
1 onion
2 sticks of celery
1 medium carrot
2 limes
pinch of salt
1 cup of white vinegar
and half a cup of water

Dice all of the ingredients except for the limes, cut them in half and squeeze the juice into a pot, put all of the ingredients together in a pot with a lid on and bring to the boil, simmer until all ingredients are soft enough to blend smooth, then pass through a strainer or some coffee filter paper. Adjust with seasoning and reduce a little if you want a slightly thicker sauce.

Just a pretty basic hot sauce recipe, always serves me well when the family has too many chilis at the end of the season. Google for some interesting twists on hab sauce recipes, there are heaps of peoples personal variations out there.

Or you could always just stuff them with cream/american cheese, crumb and then deep fry them and smash them over a few jars of ale over a game of your favorite contact sport. Never failed with that one.
this is the hot sauce i make too

found it years ago on whirlpool, works a treat
richard0296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 9:36 AM   #10
amsm Thread Starter

Some good ideas here..might cook up a brew on the weekend.

Thanks and keep 'em coming ;-)

Old 3rd May 2012, 9:39 AM   #11
Stone2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_fire View Post
...Or you could always just stuff them with cream/american cheese, crumb and then deep fry them and smash them over a few jars of ale over a game of your favorite contact sport. Never failed with that one.
With Habaneros? You must have some big balls, I'd be crying eating Habs like that
Old 3rd May 2012, 9:44 AM   #12
mitsimonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone2x View Post
With Habaneros? You must have some big balls, I'd be crying eating Habs like that
The cheese helps soften the capsaicin blow

I prefer to make Sambal Olek (Basically deseed half, blend with some vinegar) and freeze it down into ~1cm3 cubes - you can get ice trays to do this.

After they are frozen, I get a small snaplock bag and put them in there, keep it in the freezer. The size makes dosing your cooking easy, usually 1 Habanero 'cube' and 1 'cube' of another variety gives spice and depth of flavour.

Last edited by mitsimonsta; 3rd May 2012 at 9:48 AM.
mitsimonsta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:05 AM   #13
richard0296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone2x View Post
are you serious ?

this is probably my favourite dish in the world, that i eat only once or so a year as it's so bad for a brother
richard0296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 2:09 PM   #14
Stone2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard0296 View Post
are you serious ?

this is probably my favourite dish in the world, that i eat only once or so a year as it's so bad for a brother
I was imagining it would be as hot as a fresh hab off the plant which is damn hot. As others have said, the cheese reduces the heat so my previous posts is invalid
Old 3rd May 2012, 5:00 PM   #15
Al_fire

still pack some heat, but the average hab is about as hot as mega death sauce, so I've built up a good tolerance over the years, well the 1st stage of eating them, still no tolerance for the last stage.

My mate just had a cracking batch of naga's that he turned into a sauce, now that had some hoo-haa, not as hot as the blairs 3am i have, but sheet, good 7 minutes of burn.

I like the chilli jam idea, i usually get pectin from the part in safeways where they have the yoghurt makers and instant desserts, unless i have some floating around at work.
No one has mentioned a good old pot of chili have they? perfect weather for it atm, i think scon had a good recipe in the forum, but easy enough to just mix spices to your own tastes then stick in a slow cooker for half a day.
Al_fire is offline   Reply With Quote