Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd May 2012, 3:01 PM   #2596
0M39A_1337

something like proline badlands or knuckles should suit you well. not sure if you can get them premounted though.

these might be alright too: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ggy-Tire-Red-2

gluing tires isnt so bad, its getting them off to reuse the rims that annoys me.

pop them in a sealed bucket with some acetone in the bottom with the wheels/tires not actually in the acetone (so the fumes do the work) and leave them for a week or so usually does the job for me. far less work than boiling/baking.

shame they dont make trenchers for 1/8 buggy, they are a great all terrain. they just last and last.
0M39A_1337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd May 2012, 4:14 PM   #2597
RAtSAcK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
Can anyone recommend some decent offroad tyres for a 1/8 Kyosho Inferno VE buggy? I've now learnt my lesson in not taking the car on bmx tracks, that quartz gravel is a killer... I don't want to spend too much on a set of 4 but maybe a glued rim/tyre pack might be easier, I can't be bothered gluing, such a pain in the arse.
Badlands rip-offs on Ebay sound exactly what you're after. I know a few people that have used them and haven't heard anything bad about them.
LINK!
RAtSAcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 9:21 PM   #2598
MagyaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0M39A_1337 View Post
something like proline badlands or knuckles should suit you well. not sure if you can get them premounted though.

these might be alright too: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ggy-Tire-Red-2

gluing tires isnt so bad, its getting them off to reuse the rims that annoys me.

pop them in a sealed bucket with some acetone in the bottom with the wheels/tires not actually in the acetone (so the fumes do the work) and leave them for a week or so usually does the job for me. far less work than boiling/baking.

shame they dont make trenchers for 1/8 buggy, they are a great all terrain. they just last and last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAtSAcK View Post
Badlands rip-offs on Ebay sound exactly what you're after. I know a few people that have used them and haven't heard anything bad about them.
LINK!
I have those bad lands tyres! they do last! but I have a few spots where they have come apart, so maybe applying the glue there after a clean still might not stick. What glue do you guys use?
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:11 PM   #2599
0M39A_1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
I have those bad lands tyres! they do last! but I have a few spots where they have come apart, so maybe applying the glue there after a clean still might not stick. What glue do you guys use?
any medium ca glue.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:18 PM   #2600
RAtSAcK

I use Zap-A-Gap glue. Awesome stuff.
Old 5th May 2012, 4:50 PM   #2601
Reaper

Thought I'd get around to sharing what a high level drift chassis looks like.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...C/DSC00045.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...C/DSC00044.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...C/DSC00043.jpg

It started out as my tb03, which I hopped up quite a lot during the inital build. I then found out that you just can't really work a gt and a drift car, one or the other, so I went drift. I got some super driftechs and went for it.

I got heap of other hop ups here and there, I then found out they made a tb03-d, so I got the parts to turn it into one of those, which mainly was new suspension ends which narrowed the vehicle.

I also got some spacer sets and replaced all of the plastic spacers on the car with aluminium ones, which as it turns out, is what you do with the new tb03-r, but anyway, one day I see this drift chassis, far superior to the 3 racing bog standard layout carbon chassis, so I bought the eagle racing V2 setup. Freaking cheap as, it was like $90 or so shipped.

This chassis turned it into a front motor mounted, truely drift specific chassis. This was made before the tb03-vds came out, so that's why I don't have one of those. But I dig the extended steering and the fiber upper deck. And finally, I then upgraded the shocks, C hubs, front knuckles and rear carriers to aluminium too. Plus I got the counter steering kit that only works with this chassis too. Right now is riding on Raikou dxpe wheels.

And yes, I'm still not finished yet, couple more things I want.

So what did I do with all the left over parts? Why, I'm building another tb03 for touring. The only major thing I really needed was the tb03 parts C bag. Got that and a few other bits here and there, I'm now just waiting on a rear 1xd suspension mount, new shell and a servo+esc to come. I already have a 4 pole 5400kv motor ready to go.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 5:16 PM   #2602
matto20v

Your wiring looks a bit messy. Might want to start a project to clean that up by having wires the correct length, and without joiners (and heat shrink) along the wire.
[server: P4 2.4ghz 2.5Tb 10/100/1000 fedora15]
matto20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 6:38 PM   #2603
RAtSAcK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Eh. Looks like my TT01.
Old 5th May 2012, 7:29 PM   #2604
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Your wiring looks a bit messy. Might want to start a project to clean that up by having wires the correct length, and without joiners (and heat shrink) along the wire.
Yea, the motor ones are on my to do list. The wire from the esc could be shorter. I'm keeping the bullets though as it means an easier motor swap. But that's actually a little food for though, as the sensored motors do tend to have tabs, so that would mean soldering anyway. So I might actually get rid of the bullets on the esc wires and go back to a direct connect.

For the battery, I'm keeping the short ec5 adapter so it's easier to swap battery types between bullet and direct wired. The current battery setup has the bullets at the front, so when it's plugged in, it's shorter and flatter. It itself is fine. Usually I'd have the bullets at the rear of the vehicle, but the top deck interfers a little, plus it's not in danger of frontal high speed impacts.

The other wire there (the bunch of red/white/black) and the servo wire, actually goes to a light box on the shell. So while it may look messy there, it's actually not. I've just tucked it in there while taking the pics. I've got the main length all strapped together flat and neat.

The best bit was being able to strap the cap to the upper deck. That was such a bugger, I could never find a good place for the thing until now. That top deck is great.

BTW: This is where to buy the chassis:

http://broadtechonlineshop.com/eagle...aspx?id=3851V2

That site is great. They have a huge range of stuff that is a fantastic alternative to ebay. Plus I choose ems shipping and it arrives within a week.

Last edited by Reaper; 5th May 2012 at 7:35 PM.
Old 5th May 2012, 8:34 PM   #2605
lupin

Nice to see someone else spending money on hop ups.

Are you setting it up for counter steer now that its a dedicated drifter.
Old 5th May 2012, 11:40 PM   #2606
SenorGrande

I know cars are pretty popular here but today I added this baby to my fleet:

Its a ParkZone Ultra-Micro F4U Corsair. It joins the ranks my on mini J3 cub, spitfire, C182, F9F-2 Panther and a couple o gliders. Flew it today and was really impressed with how docile it is. I don't like fast flyers all that much (mainly because I am still fairly new to the hobby), even my cub (only got a 690mm wingspan) is a bit too quick for my field since the motor and battery upgrade I did. The Corsair by comparison was so slow and predictable I could put it into a left or right bank and just circle around and around with a bit of back stick. Luckily there was no wind this evening, I don't think it would handle all that well in any kind of breeze as it only weighs ~41g:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!
SenorGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 7:46 AM   #2607
0M39A_1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...C/DSC00045.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...C/DSC00044.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...C/DSC00043.jpg

It started out as my tb03, which I hopped up quite a lot during the inital build. I then found out that you just can't really work a gt and a drift car, one or the other, so I went drift. I got some super driftechs and went for it.

I got heap of other hop ups here and there, I then found out they made a tb03-d, so I got the parts to turn it into one of those, which mainly was new suspension ends which narrowed the vehicle.

I also got some spacer sets and replaced all of the plastic spacers on the car with aluminium ones, which as it turns out, is what you do with the new tb03-r, but anyway, one day I see this drift chassis, far superior to the 3 racing bog standard layout carbon chassis, so I bought the eagle racing V2 setup. Freaking cheap as, it was like $90 or so shipped.

This chassis turned it into a front motor mounted, truely drift specific chassis. This was made before the tb03-vds came out, so that's why I don't have one of those. But I dig the extended steering and the fiber upper deck. And finally, I then upgraded the shocks, C hubs, front knuckles and rear carriers to aluminium too. Plus I got the counter steering kit that only works with this chassis too. Right now is riding on Raikou dxpe wheels.

And yes, I'm still not finished yet, couple more things I want.

So what did I do with all the left over parts? Why, I'm building another tb03 for touring. The only major thing I really needed was the tb03 parts C bag. Got that and a few other bits here and there, I'm now just waiting on a rear 1xd suspension mount, new shell and a servo+esc to come. I already have a 4 pole 5400kv motor ready to go.
looks alright. mate has a street jam ota-r31, now thats a nice dedicated drifter.

how do you have the diffs set up? front one way?
Old 6th May 2012, 1:26 PM   #2608
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupin View Post
Nice to see someone else spending money on hop ups.

Are you setting it up for counter steer now that its a dedicated drifter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0M39A_1337 View Post
looks alright. mate has a street jam ota-r31, now thats a nice dedicated drifter.

how do you have the diffs set up? front one way?
Thanks guys. I hoped someone here would appreciate it.

Countersteer, yep, I got the eagle racing CS gears in it. You need this chassis to run them as they replace the front drive shaft end, which in this chassis, when you transplant the tb03 running gear over, you reverse the main drive line which then puts the front drive end into the rear gearbox. Also the CS ring gears (there's a +1 and +2 in the set, I'm using the +2 which gives the higher CS ratio), need to be on a ball diff. I found a method that works perfectly for locking the ball diff so it acts exactly the same as a spool. And it's 100% reversable.

And yep, Tamiya front one way. So effectively It's a spool in the rear, one way in front.

The only thing now is more driving practice. I've been through many different setup combos in the vehicle, (mostly suspension related), I finally got it how I want it to drive
Old 6th May 2012, 7:50 PM   #2609
MagyaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAtSAcK View Post
I use Zap-A-Gap glue. Awesome stuff.
From Bunnings?
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:24 PM   #2610
lupin

Had my drifter out on track and took a little short vid.

More to come at a later date.