Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Portable & Small Form Factor

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd May 2012, 12:17 PM   #1
m3k Thread Starter

Default Laptop

thanks guys, Got my laptop

Last edited by m3k; 16th August 2012 at 3:28 PM.
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd May 2012, 1:16 PM   #2
glenpinn

my son has a sound studio (i converted his big bedroom) and he records bands and all sorts of other stuff, and he uses firewire and usb recording interfaces, and has a 21" iMac as his main machine, and believe it or not, it has an e7600 dual core cpu @3.0ghz and it runs all his pro-tools 9 and cubase software perfectly.

mind you iMac's run desktop hardware, not laptop shit like those all in one touch screen systems you see, so the e7600 being a desktop cpu is perfect.

he currently has a 17" asus gaming laptop with win 7, but windows 7 still doesnt like playing very well with pro-tools (XP is great)

his iMac has a 1tb hdd, and it has a 200gb partition with win 7 run in bootcamp, and that too runs great, macs seem to do a good job allowing win 7 to run properly.

my suggestion is to get a Macbook of some sort, simply because they just work with any audio processing, and because they are very well built, and can run win 7 flawelssy if you need that on there as well.

macs are not known for gaming, so if you need gaming power as well, get a windows based laptop.

also, i3 will be ok for what you want to do, but personally, i would get an i5 so u dont have to worry about upgrading if the i3 doesnt like what your trying to use it for.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 3:18 PM   #3
m3k Thread Starter

Thanks! Glennpinn, after your post, I'm leaning towards a mac-
So I want a 17" mac pro with a I5 processor and the high resolution screen upgrade, But I don't think mac-book pros allow you to downgrade cpu's... what to do D: ? suck it up and get an i7? hmmm
Old 2nd May 2012, 3:32 PM   #4
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3k View Post
Thanks! Glennpinn, after your post, I'm leaning towards a mac-
So I want a 17" mac pro with a I5 processor and the high resolution screen upgrade, But I don't think mac-book pros allow you to downgrade cpu's... what to do D: ? suck it up and get an i7? hmmm
mate, always buy the best possible machine that you can afford to buy, thats my motto, because upgrading a lower spec mac later will be a lot more expensive.

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/hom...ly/macbook_pro

do you need a 17" or can you do with a 15" as you could get away with the base 15" one for $2099 but only has a 500gb hdd, the next one is $2499 with 750gb hdd, slightly bigger graphics and bigger i7 cpu, but the smaller cpu is barely any different.

the other issue with a new macbook pro, they have built in battery, but can be replaced in future if need be, you just cant buy another 2nd battery to use with the macbook on the road if the inbuilt one runs out, and your not near mains power to charge it.

i want my son to get a 17" macbook pro with i7 to support is iMac in his studio, and to use for his away from home recording machine, but he has to buy it himself now as he is 19, working part time, and i cant keep buying this stuff for him forever.

he could sell his 17" asus gaming laptop, but then he has no gaming machine, unless i build him a i5 mATX gaming pc and a 24" screen.

too many computers and laptops

Last edited by glenpinn; 2nd May 2012 at 3:39 PM.
Old 2nd May 2012, 5:49 PM   #5
m3k Thread Starter

15 inch Mac looks good bit steep but keen.
i can see that you make an excelent father its hard not to spoil your kid especualy if your proud of him!
Old 2nd May 2012, 6:28 PM   #6
glenpinn

have a look in the trading forum in ocau, there may be someone who may be selling newish 2nd hand macbook pro.
Old 7th May 2012, 3:35 PM   #7
Thraxeh

You mention FL studio? Are you making electronic music generally?

I would go with a Macbook pro, and consider Logic down the track if you want to expand to an alternate DAW.

Any Macbook pro out now will be perfect for music production.
Thraxeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 3:46 PM   #8
vellanet

I use a MacBook Pro running Win7 for all offsite recording.

Good luck finding a non mac laptop with a decent firewire chipset and no DPC latency issues!
vellanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 10:38 PM   #9
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellanet View Post
I use a MacBook Pro running Win7 for all offsite recording.

Good luck finding a non mac laptop with a decent firewire chipset and no DPC latency issues!
what interface and software are you running for your audio work ???

my son uses pro-tools 9 on his iMac with a presonis firestudio project interface (firewire) and he is getting rid of it because the firewire chip stuffed up once, then the circuit board blew, and he borrowed a usb version of that interface and he loves it, reckons the usb version interface is so much better.

he cannot get any laptop to run pro-tools properly on win 7, and his asus gaming laptop doesnt have firewire, so he currently uses my dell studio 1735 laptop away from home with Cubase software, and uses the Presonis firewire interface with that, until he gets his new usb interface.

now days hardly any laptop is shipped with firewire, so usb interfaces are required, and im curious to see how much longer macs will actually ship with firewire, given most windows based machines dont have it any more.

he will eventually get a 17" macbook pro to replace the laptop, least that way he will have everything running on macs, because thats the one thing macs are actually good for.

Last edited by glenpinn; 7th May 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:31 PM   #10
vellanet

I have a Presonus Studiolive 16:4:2

I Used to run Cubase & Reaper but have recently changed to Presonus StudioOne.

In my experience, if you have recording issues with one piece of software then the others will have issues as well. This is because just about every "Windows" laptop out there has fundamental chipset issues (Look up DPC Latency) which can cause audio drop outs. Its usually because of a dodgy Bios/ACPI implementation (Battery polling etc).

Don't get me started on the Dell "Studio" series of laptops

If you're running a Firewire interface, you need a Texas instruments firewire chipset to get anywhere, Most laptops come with Ricoh's which just don't seem to work without serious latency compromises

Last edited by vellanet; 7th May 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:41 PM   #11
glenpinn

Quote:
Don't get me started on the Dell "Studio" series of laptops dell studio laptops are actually one of the best models they made, and my 1735 still is the very best laptop i have ever owned, with its beautiful 1920x1200 screen, BD player 2.66ghz cpu and 8gb ram, but yeah they have serious latency problems (run DPCLatency checker on one and you will see it) however he gets by using Cubase and the presonis, but is desperate for a usb interface.

If you're running a Firewire interface, you need a Texas instruments firewire chipset to get anywhere, Most laptops come with Ricoh's which just don't seem to work without serious latency compromises
yeah texas is the industry standard for firewire, but im not even sure if macs use texas firewire or not, never bothered to find out, because firewire interfaces just seem to be fine on macs.

Last edited by glenpinn; 7th May 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:20 AM   #12
damo13579

Quote:
Don't get me started on the Dell "Studio" series of laptops
i picked up a dell studio 1737 around 2 years ago. basically fell apart. case around the keyboard and screen because loose, keys fell off. all happened around 6 months out of the one year warranty, and it basically lived on my desk and barely got moved around at all.

never going to touch a dell again.

if going for a mac i would hold out for a couple of months if possible, i would be expecting the new models to be released june/july when the new OS is released, meaning better hardware for the new ones and current models going for decent prices if not after top of the line stuff
Old 8th May 2012, 12:30 AM   #13
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo13579 View Post
i picked up a dell studio 1737 around 2 years ago. basically fell apart. case around the keyboard and screen because loose, keys fell off. all happened around 6 months out of the one year warranty, and it basically lived on my desk and barely got moved around at all.

never going to touch a dell again.
your kidding, must have been a piece of shit when you got it, or you dont know how to look after a laptop, because there is no way these studios just fall apart just sitting on a desk, no laptop does ???

want me to tell you what laptops are pieces of shit (where do i start) but studios are very well built laptops, as are most dell laptops, still better than most other OEM brand laptops out there (and im in a position to know)

i bought my studio in aug 2009 from a local ocau member when it was 9 months old, and today, it is still in absolute brand new condition, as i said, best laptop i ever had.

Last edited by glenpinn; 8th May 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 8th May 2012, 6:55 PM   #14
damo13579

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
your kidding, must have been a piece of shit when you got it, or you dont know how to look after a laptop, because there is no way these studios just fall apart just sitting on a desk, no laptop does ???

want me to tell you what laptops are pieces of shit (where do i start) but studios are very well built laptops, as are most dell laptops, still better than most other OEM brand laptops out there (and im in a position to know)

i bought my studio in aug 2009 from a local ocau member when it was 9 months old, and today, it is still in absolute brand new condition, as i said, best laptop i ever had.
i purchased it brand new, it spent most of its life sitting on a desk.
previous work place had dell laptops as well, out of an order of 6 vostros 3 of them had issues within the first 3 months. 1 dead wifi card and 2 motherboard failures.
not great after waiting 3 weeks for them to turn up (had not been customized at all, basic off the shelf stuff) and receiving the wrong model.

IN MY EXPERIENCE dell laptops are of poor quality and their sales and support staff are morons, your experiences might be different
Old 8th May 2012, 7:00 PM   #15
vellanet

Yeah, we had a US made Dell Studio 1730.
Optical drive & Capacitive keys were dead within 18months. Put the icing on the cake after the DPC issues.