Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th April 2012, 2:28 PM   #1
scorcher93 Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Default Installation issues on SSD

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on an Asus a53t on an SSD that I've chucked in there (120GB OCZ) and the installation goes fine, but when it gets to the "Checking video performance" part and everything onwards, it is incredibly slow and unresponsive. The HDD light stays on solid.

I've tried changing from AHCI to IDE which just stops the machine from booting.

Any ideas?
scorcher93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th April 2012, 3:04 PM   #2
espresso

is it a new SSD? as in this is the first time you've used it?
Old 26th April 2012, 3:33 PM   #3
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso View Post
is it a new SSD? as in this is the first time you've used it?
Nope, I took it out of my older laptop (which I retired to my mothers deadly grip), formatted during Windows 7 installation (installer was able to see it fine)

However I wouldn't say it has a copious amount of hours on the clock.

Another strange thing is I used my Hirens USB with mini XP and booted, and it couldn't see my SSD. However if I used some partition app on Hirens to view partitions, it COULD see it and i tried formatting and retrying through that, to no avail.
Old 6th May 2012, 5:11 PM   #4
(Banned or Deleted)

No one? This is absolutely shitting me.
Old 6th May 2012, 6:12 PM   #5
oclockforlyfe

You have to boot the computer in the mode(AHCI or IDE) that Windows was installed. If you change the mode after installation, then Windows won't load.

If your machine has sata connectors, which it would, then if you change to IDE, the SSD(or even a HDD) will not be detected, and the machine won't boot.

Set it back to AHCI and try to install W7 again. This time, even if it is slow, stick with it. The installation might be slow, but once W7 is installed, it will probably load as normal. Format the SSD to NTFS filesystem.
Old 7th May 2012, 2:06 PM   #6
(Banned or Deleted)

Cheers man.

I eventually got it up and running. Ran a file eraser program over the drive and reinstalled Windows. Worked a treat, it's now faster than ever. Cheers guys.
Old 7th May 2012, 5:50 PM   #7
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclockforlyfe View Post
Set it back to AHCI and try to install W7 again. This time, even if it is slow, stick with it. The installation might be slow, but once W7 is installed, it will probably load as normal. Format the SSD to NTFS filesystem.
i installed win 7 on my intel 520 last friday and sata mode was on AHCI and when i got to the desktop, there was the "safely remove" icon in the taskbar showing both my SSD and my Dvd burner, then i shut down, hooked up my 1.5 and 2tb hard drives with my files on them, and they too showed up in that icon.

i dont want any of my drives appearing in that "safe to remove" so i changed the AHCI to IDE and of coarse, windows failed to start, so i just did a fresh install in IDE mode, and that icon was not there when i got to the desktop.

i usually always set my sata drives to IDE because of this problem, except my dell studio 1735, which, for some reason doesnt list any on board drives in there, except for external usb drives i hook up to it.

my win 7 took about 5 minutes to install on the SSD and during installation for the first time onto a new, unallocated hdd, when you get to the bit to select the drive to install on, you cant format the drive in the drives "advanced" section because it is not requird, and the format button is grey'd out, you just install win 7 and off it goes.

the only time the "format" option is available is when the hdd or partition already has an existing OS on it, so u can delete it, or format it.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote