Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 6th May 2012, 10:19 PM   #1
oculi Thread Starter
Member
 
oculi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,955
Default Simple free video editor wanted - like irfanview for movies

I want to edit a video i took on my sony bloggie, maybe put a title on it but probably not.

simper the better, have heard windows movie maker is the go but don't want to use it because it has the word "windows" in it.

thanks!
__________________
Reality or nothing
oculi is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th May 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Audionut
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 4610
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oculi View Post
don't want to use it because it has the word "windows" in it.
Hmmm. I use a few different programs myself, and there are plenty of good ones. But they are all programmed for "windows".

Might be hard to find a program designed for windows that doesn't have the word "windows" in it bud.

How about you stop being silly, and atleast give it a try first before you write it off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
we just needed a smoking gun because we're not in the habit of going off 1/2 cocked like a bunch of forum warriors.
Audionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:04 AM   #3
anthonyl
Member
 
anthonyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Hmmm. I use a few different programs myself, and there are plenty of good ones. But they are all programmed for "windows".

Might be hard to find a program designed for windows that doesn't have the word "windows" in it bud.

How about you stop being silly, and atleast give it a try first before you write it off.
Can you suggest any FREE programs like iMovie that can be used on Windows please?
__________________
I5-4690K | Antec h2O 920 water cooled | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | Asus Sabretooth Mk 2 Z97 | EVGA780ti SC ACX | Asus 27" 144hz screen|Logitech G500..G15..G35..Z5500 | X-Fi Titanium Fatality | 250Gb Crucial M4 SSD | Fanatec CSW / Formula Rim
anthonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:24 PM   #4
oculi Thread Starter
Member
 
oculi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Hmmm. I use a few different programs myself, and there are plenty of good ones. But they are all programmed for "windows".

Might be hard to find a program designed for windows that doesn't have the word "windows" in it bud.

How about you stop being silly, and atleast give it a try first before you write it off.
thanks bud. what are the names for a few of them? i'm tipping a few won't have the word "windows" in them because programs don't tend to get called "program for windows" anymore bud.

another reason i don't want to use movie maker is i'll have to convert to whatever format it wants to use bud.
__________________
Reality or nothing
oculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
DJ_Hippster
Member
 
DJ_Hippster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NE Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oculi View Post
thanks bud. what are the names for a few of them? i'm tipping a few won't have the word "windows" in them because programs don't tend to get called "program for windows" anymore bud.

another reason i don't want to use movie maker is i'll have to convert to whatever format it wants to use bud.
Have you tried the latest Windows Movie Maker?

It actually has greater format support than a lot of other 'free' editing programs.

(Talking a bout Windows Live Movie Maker v 2011, not 5.6 or 2.6).

If you haven't tried it, at least give it a go. You can't really write it off if you haven't tried it.
__________________
Air-Stream Community Wireless Network
Desktop: i7-3770, Intel DB75EN, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 840Pro 256GB, Lian-Li PC-A17 | Server: i7-3770S, Intel DQ77MK, 32GB DDR3, 3x 3TB WD RED, Kingston 120GB V300 SSD, Antec NSK2480B
DJ_Hippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
oculi Thread Starter
Member
 
oculi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Hippster View Post
Have you tried the latest Windows Movie Maker?

It actually has greater format support than a lot of other 'free' editing programs.

(Talking a bout Windows Live Movie Maker v 2011, not 5.6 or 2.6).

If you haven't tried it, at least give it a go. You can't really write it off if you haven't tried it.
i'll give MM a go, the not wanting to use anything with the word windows in it was mostly a joke but if there is something better or easier to use or whatever i'll try that first.

i'll use irfanview as an example again, it is great for what it does with images, compared to microsoft office picture manager which is somewhat limited and harder to use.
__________________
Reality or nothing
oculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 1:21 PM   #7
thebranded
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,106
Default

i felt the same about windows movie maker
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1015559

But after giving it a go it was perfect. (for what i wanted)

And as pointed out in my thread. Dont use the preset settngs aslwasy save the fiel at the highest quality avaible.

btw i used Windwos DVD maker (or somethign like that) to convert the file and burn the dvd.
thebranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 1:37 PM   #8
TERRA Operative
Member
 
TERRA Operative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Niraikanai
Posts: 6,894
Default

My brother and I use Premiere Pro for our video, but my bro has used Windows Movie Maker for quick youtube videos etc, and reckons it's great for the basic stuff.

I'd just use it and don't tell anyone.
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:07 PM   #9
BlueRaven
Member
 
BlueRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney 2068
Posts: 2,709
Default

GF's been bugging me to find something like MM so she can edit some phone/handycam clips of family events. The best available alternatives I've found differ depending on required functionality:

NCH VideoPad - Full non-linear editing, multiple audio tracks, transitions/effects/titling etc. Free version has some limitations in input/output formats. (Basic home version USD$39.95 / Pro version USD$69.95). Pretty powerful and easy to use but not superbly optimised, fairly slow to encode even on sig rig... doesn't seem to support any GPU acceleration or compute processing for effects, previews or final encode (paid version might be different in this regard, I need to check it out further).

The old, but still good, Open-Source VirtualDub - Not NLE software, originally written to capture and manipulate video from webcam/capture cards. Retained this functionality and added support for basic clipping, combining, filtering and processing video via a wide range of plugins. Highly-optimised and fast to encode but not as pretty, easy to use or flexible as Videopad.

Or, you know, Movie Maker. I haven't tried the latest "Windows Live Movie Maker" yet. We've mucked around with VideoPad a bit and it's not bad but not so great that we instantly want to drop 40 bucks on it... lack of GPU acceleration and general optimisation is a big

Cyberlink PowerDirector 10 supports GPU acceleration via OpenCL and is great to use, but is limited to a 30-day trial (full version starts at $69.95)

EDIT: I wonder why the people that write this kind of software feel the need to give every one of them a NonSpaced TitleCaps PowerNameTM.
Maybe they think it makes them sound more Technomalogically Awesome.
__________________
"Science is more than a body of knowledge, it's a way of thinking, a way of sceptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility." - Carl Sagan

You can never explain a good pun to a kleptomaniac... he always takes things literally.

Last edited by BlueRaven; 7th May 2012 at 7:22 PM.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:20 PM   #10
Dark Orange
Member
 
Dark Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,235
Default

Quote:
The old, but still good, Open-Source VirtualDub - Not NLE software, originally written to capture and manipulate video from webcam/capture cards. Retained this functionality and added support for basic clipping, combining, filtering and processing video via a wide range of plugins. Highly-optimised and fast to encode but not as pretty, easy to use or flexible as Videopad.
Even comes in portable version!
Dark Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:51 PM   #11
BlueRaven
Member
 
BlueRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney 2068
Posts: 2,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Orange View Post
Even comes in portable version!


But worth noting that it only supports AVI/DivX MPEG1/2 video out of the box. It's not compatible with MP4/M4V MPEG4/H.264, at least not without externals codecs and plugins.
__________________
"Science is more than a body of knowledge, it's a way of thinking, a way of sceptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility." - Carl Sagan

You can never explain a good pun to a kleptomaniac... he always takes things literally.

Last edited by BlueRaven; 7th May 2012 at 7:54 PM.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 9:30 PM   #12
Squeezer
Member
 
Squeezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 6,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
My brother and I use Premiere Pro for our video, but my bro has used Windows Movie Maker for quick youtube videos etc, and reckons it's great for the basic stuff.
Agreed. It is really quick and easy and gets good results for linear stuff where you dont need multiple video/sound overlays and is the ONLY thing I have found that works properly with AVCHD lite formats
Squeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 10:20 PM   #13
TERRA Operative
Member
 
TERRA Operative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Niraikanai
Posts: 6,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
Agreed. It is really quick and easy and gets good results for linear stuff where you dont need multiple video/sound overlays and is the ONLY thing I have found that works properly with AVCHD lite formats
Yeah if WMM had multiple tracks like Premiere, most of the stuff for youtube would be done with WMM. This intro for example, had about 10 video tracks IIRC..

Premiere will still be used for all the heavy lifting, but where colour correction, chroma key and fancy effects aren't needed, WMM is pretty good, apart from the track limitation.

Last edited by TERRA Operative; 7th May 2012 at 10:23 PM.
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 1:51 AM   #14
BlueRaven
Member
 
BlueRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney 2068
Posts: 2,709
Default

And the fact that it only saves to wmv...
__________________
"Science is more than a body of knowledge, it's a way of thinking, a way of sceptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility." - Carl Sagan

You can never explain a good pun to a kleptomaniac... he always takes things literally.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 6:20 PM   #15
random1283
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post

Cyberlink PowerDirector 10 supports GPU acceleration via OpenCL and is great to use, but is limited to a 30-day trial (full version starts at $69.95)
I tried it before coaxing a Premiere license out of my school, and GPU accel is very handy but the program on 64bit was unstable as hell for me and I could'nt figure out why, lost hours of work due to the whole program crashing and corrupting the savefiles.

I would also go +1 on windows movie makers surprisingly good for basic needs if you don't expect too much.
__________________
Good Trades; MrMagoo2, Noodle_Soup, kristanzanek, Megasaxon, mavric41, forgiven, g51, KurRuPtViSioNs, Kosti, Frag, Bern, Raincloudx, marthin, Joshzors, swong, Hexx, Courtenay, Nightbringer, Zach, kcslash, arasta, Retz.x, 13atman, Technofatigue, Dazzer, PunXor, Jackolow, Nukiez, Deftone2k , Uranax, ASIGN_Baz, RockDoctor
random1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 5:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. -
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Internode!