Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th May 2012, 10:19 PM   #1
oculi Thread Starter

Default Simple free video editor wanted - like irfanview for movies

I want to edit a video i took on my sony bloggie, maybe put a title on it but probably not.

simper the better, have heard windows movie maker is the go but don't want to use it because it has the word "windows" in it.

thanks!

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th May 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oculi View Post
don't want to use it because it has the word "windows" in it.
Hmmm. I use a few different programs myself, and there are plenty of good ones. But they are all programmed for "windows".

Might be hard to find a program designed for windows that doesn't have the word "windows" in it bud.

How about you stop being silly, and atleast give it a try first before you write it off.
Audionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:04 AM   #3
anthonyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Hmmm. I use a few different programs myself, and there are plenty of good ones. But they are all programmed for "windows".

Might be hard to find a program designed for windows that doesn't have the word "windows" in it bud.

How about you stop being silly, and atleast give it a try first before you write it off.
Can you suggest any FREE programs like iMovie that can be used on Windows please?
I5-4690K | Antec h2O 920 water cooled | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | Asus Sabretooth Mk 2 Z97 | EVGA780ti SC ACX | Asus 27" 144hz screen|Logitech G500..G15..G35..Z5500 | X-Fi Titanium Fatality | 250Gb Crucial M4 SSD | Fanatec CSW / Formula Rim
anthonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:24 PM   #4
oculi Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post

thanks bud. what are the names for a few of them? i'm tipping a few won't have the word "windows" in them because programs don't tend to get called "program for windows" anymore bud.

another reason i don't want to use movie maker is i'll have to convert to whatever format it wants to use bud.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
DJ_Hippster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oculi View Post
thanks bud. what are the names for a few of them? i'm tipping a few won't have the word "windows" in them because programs don't tend to get called "program for windows" anymore bud.

another reason i don't want to use movie maker is i'll have to convert to whatever format it wants to use bud.
Have you tried the latest Windows Movie Maker?

It actually has greater format support than a lot of other 'free' editing programs.

(Talking a bout Windows Live Movie Maker v 2011, not 5.6 or 2.6).

If you haven't tried it, at least give it a go. You can't really write it off if you haven't tried it.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
oculi Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Hippster View Post
Have you tried the latest Windows Movie Maker?

It actually has greater format support than a lot of other 'free' editing programs.

(Talking a bout Windows Live Movie Maker v 2011, not 5.6 or 2.6).

If you haven't tried it, at least give it a go. You can't really write it off if you haven't tried it.
i'll give MM a go, the not wanting to use anything with the word windows in it was mostly a joke but if there is something better or easier to use or whatever i'll try that first.

i'll use irfanview as an example again, it is great for what it does with images, compared to microsoft office picture manager which is somewhat limited and harder to use.
Old 7th May 2012, 1:21 PM   #7
thebranded

i felt the same about windows movie maker
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1015559

But after giving it a go it was perfect. (for what i wanted)

And as pointed out in my thread. Dont use the preset settngs aslwasy save the fiel at the highest quality avaible.

btw i used Windwos DVD maker (or somethign like that) to convert the file and burn the dvd.
thebranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 1:37 PM   #8
TERRA Operative

My brother and I use Premiere Pro for our video, but my bro has used Windows Movie Maker for quick youtube videos etc, and reckons it's great for the basic stuff.

I'd just use it and don't tell anyone.
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:07 PM   #9
BlueRaven

GF's been bugging me to find something like MM so she can edit some phone/handycam clips of family events. The best available alternatives I've found differ depending on required functionality:

NCH VideoPad - Full non-linear editing, multiple audio tracks, transitions/effects/titling etc. Free version has some limitations in input/output formats. (Basic home version USD$39.95 / Pro version USD$69.95). Pretty powerful and easy to use but not superbly optimised, fairly slow to encode even on sig rig... doesn't seem to support any GPU acceleration or compute processing for effects, previews or final encode (paid version might be different in this regard, I need to check it out further).

The old, but still good, Open-Source VirtualDub - Not NLE software, originally written to capture and manipulate video from webcam/capture cards. Retained this functionality and added support for basic clipping, combining, filtering and processing video via a wide range of plugins. Highly-optimised and fast to encode but not as pretty, easy to use or flexible as Videopad.

Or, you know, Movie Maker. I haven't tried the latest "Windows Live Movie Maker" yet. We've mucked around with VideoPad a bit and it's not bad but not so great that we instantly want to drop 40 bucks on it... lack of GPU acceleration and general optimisation is a big

Cyberlink PowerDirector 10 supports GPU acceleration via OpenCL and is great to use, but is limited to a 30-day trial (full version starts at $69.95)

EDIT: I wonder why the people that write this kind of software feel the need to give every one of them a NonSpaced TitleCaps PowerNameTM.
Maybe they think it makes them sound more Technomalogically Awesome.

You can never explain a good pun to a kleptomaniac... he always takes things literally.

Last edited by BlueRaven; 7th May 2012 at 7:22 PM.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:20 PM   #10
Dark Orange

Quote:
The old, but still good, Open-Source VirtualDub - Not NLE software, originally written to capture and manipulate video from webcam/capture cards. Retained this functionality and added support for basic clipping, combining, filtering and processing video via a wide range of plugins. Highly-optimised and fast to encode but not as pretty, easy to use or flexible as Videopad.
Even comes in portable version!
Dark Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:51 PM   #11
BlueRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Orange View Post
Even comes in portable version!

But worth noting that it only supports AVI/DivX MPEG1/2 video out of the box. It's not compatible with MP4/M4V MPEG4/H.264, at least not without externals codecs and plugins.

You can never explain a good pun to a kleptomaniac... he always takes things literally.

Last edited by BlueRaven; 7th May 2012 at 7:54 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 9:30 PM   #12
Squeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
My brother and I use Premiere Pro for our video, but my bro has used Windows Movie Maker for quick youtube videos etc, and reckons it's great for the basic stuff.
Agreed. It is really quick and easy and gets good results for linear stuff where you dont need multiple video/sound overlays and is the ONLY thing I have found that works properly with AVCHD lite formats
Squeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 10:20 PM   #13
TERRA Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
Agreed. It is really quick and easy and gets good results for linear stuff where you dont need multiple video/sound overlays and is the ONLY thing I have found that works properly with AVCHD lite formats
Yeah if WMM had multiple tracks like Premiere, most of the stuff for youtube would be done with WMM. This intro for example, had about 10 video tracks IIRC..

Premiere will still be used for all the heavy lifting, but where colour correction, chroma key and fancy effects aren't needed, WMM is pretty good, apart from the track limitation.

Last edited by TERRA Operative; 7th May 2012 at 10:23 PM.
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 1:51 AM   #14
BlueRaven

And the fact that it only saves to wmv...

Old 8th May 2012, 6:20 PM   #15
random1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post

Cyberlink PowerDirector 10 supports GPU acceleration via OpenCL and is great to use, but is limited to a 30-day trial (full version starts at $69.95)
I tried it before coaxing a Premiere license out of my school, and GPU accel is very handy but the program on 64bit was unstable as hell for me and I could'nt figure out why, lost hours of work due to the whole program crashing and corrupting the savefiles.

I would also go +1 on windows movie makers surprisingly good for basic needs if you don't expect too much.
Good Trades; MrMagoo2, Noodle_Soup, kristanzanek, Megasaxon, mavric41, forgiven, g51, KurRuPtViSioNs, Kosti, Frag, Bern, Raincloudx, marthin, Joshzors, swong, Hexx, Courtenay, Nightbringer, Zach, kcslash, arasta, Retz.x, 13atman, Technofatigue, Dazzer, PunXor, Jackolow, Nukiez, Deftone2k , Uranax, ASIGN_Baz, RockDoctor
random1283 is offline   Reply With Quote