Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Google Android (OS & Devices)

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 6th May 2012, 7:55 PM   #1231
Imitation
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
I liked the Nexus shape, I reckon it was comfy in the hand then the SGII. The camera and battery is what I worry about. Might wait until the Nexus falls below $400. I was considering the One S but I doubt that we will see it for a while.
It already is under $400.
Imitation is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th May 2012, 8:33 PM   #1232
MagyaR
Member
 
MagyaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melb
Posts: 5,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imitation View Post
It already is under $400.
Including delivery...

Anyone notice the bubu in the specs? http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/samsung-galaxy-nexus/
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 9:39 PM   #1233
a_w_d
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyKaos View Post
Did you try this? or this video?

Maybe use this instead of doing things manually.
i finally worked it out! i was using the drivers from the 6.1 toolkit, which were causing my phone to crash once in fastboot mode, but i then tried the PDAnet drivers which work fine!
a_w_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 10:23 PM   #1234
FuzzyKaos
Member
 
FuzzyKaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,091
Default

lol with all this breaking of things by A_W_D, I thought id update to Android Open Kang Project - maguro - Milestone 5

Gotta say, I am VERY happy with.

This is my first custom ROM since I've had my Galaxy Nexus.

Without that stupid search bar at the top, my phone actually feels larger in my hand. Talk aboot a free boner!
__________________
۵ Intel Core i7-2600k ۵ ASUS Sabertooth P67 ۵ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ۵ OCZ Vertex 3 240GB ۵ Gigabyte GTX 690 4GB ۵ Dell UltraSharp U3014 30" ۵ Corsair Graphite 600T (SE White) ۵ Corsair AX850 ۵ Corsair H70 ۵ ASUS Xonar Essence STX
FuzzyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:16 AM   #1235
a_w_d
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyKaos View Post
lol with all this breaking of things by A_W_D, I thought id update to Android Open Kang Project - maguro - Milestone 5

Gotta say, I am VERY happy with.

This is my first custom ROM since I've had my Galaxy Nexus.

Without that stupid search bar at the top, my phone actually feels larger in my hand. Talk aboot a free boner!
are you using a different kernel?
a_w_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:11 PM   #1236
Bigtosser
Member
 
Bigtosser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 779
Default

I'll be sticking with my lovely Nexus.
check out these SG3 prices.
http://www.kogan.com/au/shop/phones/?keywords=s3
Is the SG3 really worth double the price of a Nexus, is it twice the Phone?
I say hell no!

May even get one for my partner, as I think the Nexus is now a bargain in terms of price. IMHO
__________________

'cause Brent doesn't fit in the glory hole, and that's why we all love Brent!
Bigtosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 7:47 PM   #1237
zeropoint01
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtosser View Post
I'll be sticking with my lovely Nexus.
check out these SG3 prices.
http://www.kogan.com/au/shop/phones/?keywords=s3
Is the SG3 really worth double the price of a Nexus, is it twice the Phone?
I say hell no!
Well to be fair the Nexus was circa $700-$750 when it first came out.
zeropoint01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 9:20 PM   #1238
FuzzyKaos
Member
 
FuzzyKaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_w_d View Post
are you using a different kernel?
Just whatever came with that rom.
__________________
۵ Intel Core i7-2600k ۵ ASUS Sabertooth P67 ۵ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ۵ OCZ Vertex 3 240GB ۵ Gigabyte GTX 690 4GB ۵ Dell UltraSharp U3014 30" ۵ Corsair Graphite 600T (SE White) ۵ Corsair AX850 ۵ Corsair H70 ۵ ASUS Xonar Essence STX
FuzzyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 9:33 PM   #1239
MagyaR
Member
 
MagyaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melb
Posts: 5,060
Default

Have they fixed the unable to use as an external device issue? and the other bugs?
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 8:53 AM   #1240
akoli
Member
 
akoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
Have they fixed the unable to use as an external device issue? and the other bugs?
Not sure about standard but I use an app by chainfire think its called stickmount that allows you to load external drives, flash drives etc.... I just bought a little $2 adaptor for micro usb to usb .... have flash drive as backup in case I run out movies whilst training it to work.
__________________
Intel i5 3570k / 16gb Kingston DDR3 / Thermaltake Frio / Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 OC /Asrock 777 Extreme4/ X-Fi SC / Samsung 840 pro SSD / GSkill Falcon SSD ..:RIP:.. /3x2tb Sammy HD/Silverstone Raven RV01/Seasonic M12 II 500w PSU / 27" Benq - DOES THE JOB ... :-)
akoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 9:06 AM   #1241
mr626
Member
 
mr626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,098
Default

This may have been covered already (apologies if it has) but how do you all find the camera on the Nexus? A few of the reviews I've read weren't very impressed with it.
mr626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 10:38 AM   #1242
MagyaR
Member
 
MagyaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melb
Posts: 5,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoli View Post
Not sure about standard but I use an app by chainfire think its called stickmount that allows you to load external drives, flash drives etc.... I just bought a little $2 adaptor for micro usb to usb .... have flash drive as backup in case I run out movies whilst training it to work.
I'm leaning more towards the Nexus, just don't want to go backwards from the Desire, I would like to use the phone to log my journey with Sports Tracker so hopefully it will last a few hours with GPS running and listening to music. Ideally I would like to transfer tracks to the mobile and not rely on bloody inet to store my data.

Hrmm, on a $59 Voda plan, you get the Nexus and a free PS Vita http://shop.vodafone.com.au/cart?_requestid=17713 , I don't know if I can handle being on Voda again though.

Last edited by MagyaR; 8th May 2012 at 12:27 PM.
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 5:50 PM   #1243
mmBax
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr626 View Post
This may have been covered already (apologies if it has) but how do you all find the camera on the Nexus? A few of the reviews I've read weren't very impressed with it.
I'm very happy with it, again, coming from a HTC desire it wasn't hard to improve. But its very quick and meters quite well.

As for gps and music with battery, can't help you with that yet, I will say though, I got 22 hours out of a battery yesterday before charging. Easily could have gotten more. The 7 or so hours I was asleep and didn't touch it, the battery hardly lost any charge. The desire would have went flat at 4am and my alarm wouldn't have went off.
mmBax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 6:07 PM   #1244
MagyaR
Member
 
MagyaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melb
Posts: 5,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmBax View Post
I'm very happy with it, again, coming from a HTC desire it wasn't hard to improve. But its very quick and meters quite well.

As for gps and music with battery, can't help you with that yet, I will say though, I got 22 hours out of a battery yesterday before charging. Easily could have gotten more. The 7 or so hours I was asleep and didn't touch it, the battery hardly lost any charge. The desire would have went flat at 4am and my alarm wouldn't have went off.
What's the ringer speaker like compared to the Desire? still tinny and shite? The mass storage thing looks like a pain in the arse.
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 8:47 PM   #1245
mmBax
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,734
Default

Can't really say, my desire blew the loudspeaker about 6 months ago, so comparisons would be hard to make.

The nexus speaker does seem pretty good though, but its also one of my only gripes. Its Max volume seems low. Max ringing volume and notification menu is about 60% of what I'd want it to be.

This phone is definitely growing on me though.
mmBax is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 9:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. -
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Internode!