Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th May 2012, 5:20 PM   #31
KriiV Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeMoFo View Post
should be getting ~6mbps"

Is that a realistic figure for my connection?

Prepping the username and password etc. (And my patience) to call them now
KriiV is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th May 2012, 5:26 PM   #32
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriiV View Post
Is that a realistic figure for my connection?

Prepping the username and password etc. (And my patience) to call them now
Anywhere between 4.5-8Mbps would be reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant33 View Post
I just saw your sig - I am so glad that post went un-noticed before it was deleted.
SupremeMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 5:32 PM   #33
KriiV Thread Starter

Okay so I've called them. Quite quick to pick up, helpful etc.

I now get 250Kbps max... She said that its because of my distance from the exchange (~3000m). Is this really true?

Last edited by KriiV; 7th May 2012 at 5:42 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 6:22 PM   #34
SupremeMoFo

Utter bullshit. Even if you had confused kilobits with kilobytes in which case it is 2Mbps, it should be a lot faster than that.

From Internode's website, these are the maximum speeds you can expect -

I was looking at someone's service today who was getting 2.5Mbps on a 6km line length, and another service this afternoon with 10.5mbps on a 3.5km line. They're exceptionally high, but it gives you an idea of how screwed your service is.
Quote:
I just saw your sig - I am so glad that post went un-noticed before it was deleted.
Old 7th May 2012, 6:31 PM   #35
KriiV Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your help. I will definitely call them back tomorrow.

This is what i'm getting after the first call.

Will post results after my second call..

Last edited by KriiV; 7th May 2012 at 7:16 PM.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:37 AM   #36
KriiV Thread Starter

Internet cut out last night. Tempted to call them and tell them to put me back on my old profile and just live with it.. I dont want dropouts..
Old 8th May 2012, 1:03 PM   #37
SupremeMoFo

Try running an isolation test on your service (unplug all phones and filters in the house) and just connect your modem only.
Quote:
Old 8th May 2012, 1:41 PM   #38
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeMoFo View Post
I was looking at someone's service today who was getting 2.5Mbps on a 6km line length, and another service this afternoon with 10.5mbps on a 3.5km line. They're exceptionally high, but it gives you an idea of how screwed your service is.
no, it simply illustrates how useless it is comparing an individual instance to a statistic average and basing expectations on that.

statistics are just that, statistics. if you're 5'7" high and the national average is 5'9", there's nothing wrong with you, you're just short. if today is only 15 maximum and the average for the day for the last 100 years was 20, it means no more than it's a cold day - compared to average.

phone lines perform based on their individual electrical and transmission characteristics, they don't look at graphs and go "ooh, I'm x km long, so I should run at y Mbps".

nor do telcos work that way either.

bitrate is not governed by distance because attenuation is only one of several characteristics affecting performance. just as attenuation is not a linear function of distance, because it ignores concepts such as cable gauge, conductor material, cable construction and jointing method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriiV View Post
Internet cut out last night. Tempted to call them and tell them to put me back on my old profile and just live with it.. I dont want dropouts..
probably not a bad idea at this point, because looking at your old stats here there isn't a lot of headroom left in that line.

unless you can talk TPG into raising a fault investigation with Telstra - which would probably require what's called an interference investigation, a FFS proposition to optimise performance (with no guarantees) - there is not much more you can do.

if you do go down the support route, try to locate one of the higher primates at TPG, preferably orangutang or even gorilla. the monkeys just eat bananas and throw monkey shit at you.

Last edited by caspian; 8th May 2012 at 1:44 PM.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 2:57 PM   #39
KriiV Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
no, it simply illustrates how useless it is comparing an individual instance to a statistic average and basing expectations on that.

statistics are just that, statistics. if you're 5'7" high and the national average is 5'9", there's nothing wrong with you, you're just short. if today is only 15 maximum and the average for the day for the last 100 years was 20, it means no more than it's a cold day - compared to average.

phone lines perform based on their individual electrical and transmission characteristics, they don't look at graphs and go "ooh, I'm x km long, so I should run at y Mbps".

nor do telcos work that way either.

bitrate is not governed by distance because attenuation is only one of several characteristics affecting performance. just as attenuation is not a linear function of distance, because it ignores concepts such as cable gauge, conductor material, cable construction and jointing method.

probably not a bad idea at this point, because looking at your old stats here there isn't a lot of headroom left in that line.

unless you can talk TPG into raising a fault investigation with Telstra - which would probably require what's called an interference investigation, a FFS proposition to optimise performance (with no guarantees) - there is not much more you can do.

if you do go down the support route, try to locate one of the higher primates at TPG, preferably orangutang or even gorilla. the monkeys just eat bananas and throw monkey shit at you.
Does this Telstra fault thing have to be organised through TPG?
Old 8th May 2012, 3:52 PM   #40
caspian

absolutely. you are not Telstra's customer. losing the ability to deal with them directly is one of the prices to be paid of going through a reseller - the reseller takes the retail profit, the retailer assumes all the responsibilities of end user customer service.
Old 8th May 2012, 3:56 PM   #41
KriiV Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
absolutely. you are not Telstra's customer. losing the ability to deal with them directly is one of the prices to be paid of going through a reseller - the reseller takes the retail profit, the retailer assumes all the responsibilities of end user customer service.
Fair enough then.

Would there be any benefit for me if I were to change ISP?