Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th May 2012, 4:38 PM   #16
grommet80

http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-io_lisa1.html

"When Apple provided the upgrade from Lisa 1 to Lisa 2, resistors R41 (3.3KOhm) and R47 (1KOhm) were cut on the I/O board, the I/O ROM was changed from version 40 to version 88. "

He's trying to prove that it wasn't upgraded to a Lisa 2 and then downgraded to a Lisa 1 later. But it kinda looks like they've been resoldered to me.

Last edited by grommet80; 7th May 2012 at 4:41 PM.
grommet80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th May 2012, 6:23 PM   #17
ThunderbirdMoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxley View Post
Then it would be a bit closer to real life when you call it a bitch and slap it back to the stone age because it was given you the shits.
That may be a reason why people dont name their products after their kids anymore.
Core i5-750 @ 2.6GHz | Corsair 800d (air cooled)| Gigabyte P55A-UD4P | 16Gb RAM | Sapphire 7950 | 256SSD + 1 + 1 + 3Tb HDDs | Model M + G9x | Yammy 673 | Dell 2407 (LOL) | Billion 7800N | Samsung GS3 | Ipod Touch 32Gb Black | HP Touch Pad 32Gb androidfied | Ipad 1 16Gb Black
ThunderbirdMoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 6:40 PM   #18
Paronga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiCid3 View Post
Love the random pic of Steve and his daughter

Side note: That OS looks better than some of the ones we have on the market these days
yeh.
it's actually amazing how similar it is to Os X today still!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ButFli=- View Post
No, infinity is not like i. i can be added, subtracted, multiplied or whatever with real numbers and you can come out with a real answer.
2i + 3 - 2(i + 1) = 1
2inf =
Paronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 6:47 PM   #19
crag_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet80 View Post
But it kinda looks like they've been resoldered to me.
They look the same as the others on the board - I reckon it'd be legit. You wouldn't want to claim 'never removed' for something with such a high asking price, that'd be just asking for legal action if it were obvious enough to spot in a low-res photo, let alone in the flesh, so to speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdMoz View Post
That may be a reason why people dont name their products after their kids anymore.
A very astute observation! Heh.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:09 AM   #20
grommet80

Quote:
Originally Posted by crag_v View Post
They look the same as the others on the board - I reckon it'd be legit. You wouldn't want to claim 'never removed' for something with such a high asking price, that'd be just asking for legal action if it were obvious enough to spot in a low-res photo, let alone in the flesh, so to speak!
You might be right but it looks like there's brown residue around the solder joins of R41&R47 the others don't have this.
grommet80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 10:27 AM   #21
Menthu_Rae

Looks like the resistors have been removed - there seem to be flux marks around the through-holes whereas all the other solder marks seem fine?

Also the serial number sticker on the computer only has the apple logo - whereas all the other serial number stickers say "apple computer" next to the apple logo... what is the go with that?

I reckon it's not as legit as it seems
System Specs: i7 3770K, Noctua NH-U12P SE2, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600, ASUS P8Z77-V Premium, 2GB Zotac GTX680, 120GB/240GB Samsung 840 SSDs, 2x 3TB Toshiba HDDs [RAID1], 2x Zalman ZMMFC-1 Plus, Dell U3011, ASUS Xonar Essence One, Audioengine 5+, LianLi PC-A71B w/T-713B & W-75BP, 8x Scythe SFF21G, 1kW Silverstone ST1000P. 50+ Trades.
Menthu_Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 12:17 PM   #22
garetz

How many computers made today, will last 30 years into the future though. Quality used to mean something in those days. Today its all about the product life cycle.
Old 8th May 2012, 1:09 PM   #23
eixt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthu_Rae View Post
Looks like the resistors have been removed - there seem to be flux marks around the through-holes whereas all the other solder marks seem fine?

Also the serial number sticker on the computer only has the apple logo - whereas all the other serial number stickers say "apple computer" next to the apple logo... what is the go with that?

I reckon it's not as legit as it seems
Agree, if you look at the R41 it looks like it has been removed and the new solder does not fill the entire hole.
eixt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 11:01 PM   #24
M0r4h3us

Hi, i just packaged one up for someone off these forums located here in australia yesterday and sent it to them..

got paid $120 for picking it up and packaging it.

they paid for shipping..

now i know why they are collectors items !

cheers Alan.

ps. it all started with a WTB thread for someone to help pick it up and package it ..check it out!
Sex is like Hacking, u get in and u get out and hope u didnt leave something behind that could get traced back to u.
M0r4h3us is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 11:08 PM   #25
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Did anyone else read some of the links in that eBay ad? One of them goes to here, which is a fascinating set of stories/notes from the development of the Mac. Well worth a read if you don't mind losing several afternoons.

garetz - my understanding is that the original Lisa would have gotten relatively little use, since it was quickly superceded and the floppy drives were known to be unreliable. I'd guess that if you took a modern Dell (or a modern Mac, for that matter), used it for six months, and then left it in its box for thirty years, it'd still work fine afterwards.
Old 9th May 2012, 4:48 PM   #26
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLATYE View Post
Did anyone else read some of the links in that eBay ad? One of them goes to here, which is a fascinating set of stories/notes from the development of the Mac. Well worth a read if you don't mind losing several afternoons.
i have been on that website before, but thanks for taking an hour out of my workday. some extremely interesting stories in there, steve jobs would have been an amazing man to work for.
Over 120 Successful Trades on OCAU - Most Recent: dche5390, Rugal, Tornhelm, ummmz, darknight84, bumography, b4sk3tb4ll3r, marktadros, MoveIt, Maxknott, NoBooze, bnyboy, Stooge007, caddy, the_rick, Soupratt, Doktor, Logik47, KraniX, Talisman, start, gizmo_melb, Omarko, Arkanite, WooKiE_MaN, PM for full list
sanjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 6:05 PM   #27
mehkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonex View Post
anyone notice the sellers name?
LOL first thing I noticed when I looked at it, maybe you could get him to sign it, re-sell for 50K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudBoy View Post
dunno - pretty standard price for an Apple product
I actually pissed myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodz View Post
Get your facts straight.
Nerds do not buy apple products. Hipsters do.
real hipsters do not have $25K
mehkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 2:47 AM   #28
lithos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdMoz View Post
Ford Edsel, anyone?
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 12:03 AM   #29
BigM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxley View Post
Then it would be a bit closer to real life when you call it a bitch and slap it back to the stone age because it was given you the shits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodz View Post
Get your facts straight.
Nerds do not buy apple products. Hipsters do.
So what do douchebags buy?
Old 16th May 2012, 7:43 AM   #30
Shimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetz View Post
How many computers made today, will last 30 years into the future though. Quality used to mean something in those days. Today its all about the product life cycle.
The vast majority? Any piece of equipment manufactured today is likely to still work after 30 years given the same storage conditions that this Lisa was in.