Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th June 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Cobra-7 Thread Starter

Default Can you remove Telstra from phone

My girlfriend bought an unlocked SGII from JB hifi not realising it was installed with telstra junk on it. She uses OPTUS prepaid and while for the most part it works as a phone, whenever she accesses the internet for facebook or to tether to her laptop, it only holds service for a minute or two then drops out.
She has been told by both JB hifi and by OPTUS, that her best option is to either put Telstra sim in or buy an OPTUS phone.
Can the phone be completely cleared of all the crap on it and reset with just android software??

Thanks, Jeff

ASUS P5Q - C2D E8400 - 2x2gb Kingston 1066 - GTX260 - 3x320gb SATA II - 2xLG DVDRW - 650w Modular PSU - Antec 900 - 22" ASUS WS LCD
Cobra-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th June 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
mike-s

First is it one of the "4g" telstra phones? if so you May be out of luck. If it ids a totally standard sgs2 then you could try first upgrading it's firmware with kies via your pc. If that fails then you could put one of the custom Roms on or the original one (Both can found somewhere on the xda forum).

If in doubt about the hardware,grab the model number in the settings/about on the phone as well as the firmware number and maybe more can be said to help.
Sony Vaio Club Member #21
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 11:00 PM   #3
5tumpy

Yep... You need to root it though, then flash it with a Vanilla version of ICS...

FWIW, Asking JB hifi for tech support is like going to a brothel for relationship advice, they'll help, but ultimately their goal is fuck you, so they can make some money off you... Optus won't have told her to buy a new phone from them, they would have told her that the phone is not supported by them, because she didn't buy it from them and told her if she had bought it from them they'd be able to help more, which is really a cop out, but what do you expect from offshore phone-monkeys?

There is no reason that having a telstra-branded SII would the internet would randomly drop... Optus' network is shit and overpopulated, that's the more likely reason for the internet dropping, especially if she's not having any issues with calls...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spludgey View Post
An email is sent from my personal email address stating my real name. This email is not directed at trying to get GetSmart into trouble, but at getting the principal to tell his flatmate to watch out about being scammed.
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 11:25 PM   #4
lithos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy View Post
FWIW, Asking JB hifi for tech support is like going to a brothel for relationship advice, they'll help, but ultimately their goal is fuck you, so they can make some money off you
I endorse this simile.
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 9:18 PM   #5
Cobra-7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure if it is 4G capable or not, will look into that. I certainly understand the lack of support from either vendor, but the internet issue is really only pertaining to this phone. My IPhone 4 which is also Optus connects and does not drop out at all and her daughters S2 which is Optus also runs fine without dropping out at any given time frame,

This leads me to think only two things, POS phone and send it back under warranty, (if it has any) or it is something to do with having Telstra on it, unlocked and Optus sim in.

More info chasing I think, but thanks for all right now.

ASUS P5Q - C2D E8400 - 2x2gb Kingston 1066 - GTX260 - 3x320gb SATA II - 2xLG DVDRW - 650w Modular PSU - Antec 900 - 22" ASUS WS LCD
Cobra-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 1:35 AM   #6
glimmerman

There is nothing on there from telstra that should be causing the internet to drop out.

Firstly, have you had the sim card replaced (unlikely to work but worth it anyway).

From memory the S2 supports all 3g carrier frequencies so should work fine on optus.

Check the APN settings with optus and make sure they are correct (if the sim is old, it might default to a legacy apn).

The only other causes would be optus and their shite network and the phone is borked.
Im going to go over there and suck some dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broden View Post
another quality post from glimmerman!
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 2:20 AM   #7
DarkYendor

Aren't there 2 different models for different frequencies?
SERVER: | i3 3220 | 8GB DDR3 | 16TB + SSD | - BACKUP SERVER: | Intel D945GCLF2 | 1GB DDR2 | 8TB |
Successful OCAU trades / New blog & buildlogs
DarkYendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 7:29 PM   #8
glimmerman

as far as i know there is only one version.
Im going to go over there and suck some dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broden View Post
another quality post from glimmerman!
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 8:05 PM   #9
craz3d

dont need to root it just install a generic ics with odin.
craz3d is offline   Reply With Quote