OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors
|15th May 2012, 9:40 PM||#1|
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Under the sea.
My completed cabinet project
I havent really noticed this awesome section of OCAU until recently, and I had already had the joy and apparently patience of 'restoring' a cabinet last year, or atleast attempting to.. (By restore I mean convert an oldie to mame)
I figured it may be of some interest to others here, and may give some ideas to others how to do things or not do things
Thinking back, the only thing that comes to mind is how much of a pain in the ass it was to get rid of the old paint, the sweet terrible smell of paint stripper, and also the joy of lots of bog and sanding... Do yourself a favour, and start from scratch - I used the buy old approach thinking it would be cheaper, easier and quicker. It probably was in some ways easier, given that the shape of the cabinet was sorted already, and it gave me ideas on how to mount everything etc but all the fixing wasnt easy. As for the cheaper aspect; probably much of a muchness, I did however get a GREAT deal on the cabinet, and the guy I got it from was great and threw in a bunch of sticks/buttons. Great starting point! As for being quicker, I'd bet all my money it wasn't however it was definitely rewarding at the end; or even at the point of mounting the monitor and seeing it come together! I suppose for the die hard fan of a particular machine though restoring it to it's original state is worth every minute/hour/day/month. That I can understand!
Now my aim was:
PC with mame
keyboard/mouse in a sliding drawer
2 players each with 1 stick and 6 buttons into IPAC, no spinners etc
keep original marquee
el cheapo 2.1 speaker setup
it's huge, so i want some storage space inside too!
Now to the beginning...
Here's what I started with.. Old, empty cabinet (apart from dirt, and other crap in side.. no crt or hardware). Also, not an original SF2 cab, the previous owner did a quick a job of hitting it with some black spray paint (underneath it was an even worse green which was showing in some places too). and features a 1986 compliance sticker or something or rather...
oh look, excellent condition!
and from behind
First goal was to clean it up.. take it back to wood and fix all the damage/cracks and get it smooooth. So I hit it with paint stripper, and the outside black layer spray painted on comes off instantly, the green layer was took a LOT of effort, and it had a blue grid on top of it. kinda like this
and eventually this.. took a lot of time to fix up that MASSIVE corner crack compared to the other damage ; adding bog layers at a time, and waiting for it to dry in between... and then finally sanding it (you can see some of the bog in the corners in the pic too)
the front door was crap quality, so it gets a new piece of mdf
and a bit more cleaned up and internals gutted!
now with a VESA mount
all your buttons are belong to us
( Anyone trying to sort out their sticks/buttons MUST look at this site.. awesome resource!! http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html )
which becomes (there's even speakers hiding up top!)
finally sanded everything properly (800 grit for the external/visible bits) and then primed her!
2 coats later (i wasnt too fussed with getting *everyhting* inside)
LED strip to light the marquee (yay ebay!)
also got brand new perspex to go over the screen (spray paint a black border on it), as well as perspex to go over the control panel. the perspex place use my control panel as a template to cut it to size and drill all the holes. nice and easy for a change!
a half wired up CP (to an ipac)
put it all together...
drawer is on a set of rails from bunnings
the drawer is just bits of wood liquid nails+nailed together
also got some pretty buttons with lights from ozstick for insert coin and p1/2 start (cbf with using a real coin op). and I also mounted 1 extra button on each side; useful in mame for speeding up, but also good for pinball! can easily see the speaker cover here too. I cheaped out and cut round holes in a plank of wood. and i put some black cloth over it, and by black cloth i mean i totally improvised and used some of the woman's black stockings
I also eventually got some tmoulding (the blue tmoulding the cab came with was in horrendous condition.. also didnt think blue suited.. so I got black.)
and another cool thing, the PC is mounted in the back of the cabinet (I just threw a tower in rather than do what most do and mount mobo/psu etc to the cab), and I blocked off the front section from the rear, the front door provides access to 2 shelves for storage space! hooray! it's amazing how much space these things take up..
and for those interested, I think it took me about 6 weeks to get it from 'oh look i have a cabinet in my garage' to a playable/operational cab AND in the house. the paint stripping and repairs was the most time consuming and probably 2/3 of the time.
|Join OCAU to remove this ad!|
|17th May 2012, 7:37 PM||#4|
(Banned or Deleted)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cheeseland, France
You're inspiring me to get into making a MAME cabinet sooner rather than later... Looking great!
|29th June 2012, 3:49 PM||#7|
Join Date: May 2002
Nice one!! Saved a classic too Street Fighter! I tip my hat you your cab!
Come to the Dark Side... We Have Cookies...
Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!