Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > General Software

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st August 2013, 3:07 PM   #16
theSeekerr

I'm extremely confused - Tabbed browsing was one of the reasons that people starting switching to Firefox from IE, back in ~2006...

Are you seriously saying that you've somehow had that feature turned off, never used it in the last 7 years, and are confused about seeing it now?

Cos it's been that way (by default, I'll add!) for a really long time now.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st August 2013, 4:55 PM   #17
glenpinn Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeekerr View Post
I'm extremely confused - Tabbed browsing was one of the reasons that people starting switching to Firefox from IE, back in ~2006...
Are you seriously saying that you've somehow had that feature turned off, never used it in the last 7 years, and are confused about seeing it now?
nothing to be confused about m8, yes tabs have always been present in firefox by default, i never said it wasnt, however me thinks that you have skipped over this thread and not read everything i have posted, including 2 posts where i offered 3 screenshots of version 23.0 and 3 of version 14.0 with the settings that i use.

in post 13 where i offered 3 screenshots of version 14.0, in the last one (options > tab) there is an option to "Always Show the Tab Bar" which is not listed now in version 23.0 onwards, and i stated that ever since i started using firefox many years ago i have always disabled that option, and all the others in the "Tab box" except the 3rd one.

i dont understand why all the "shock/horror" reaction from some people i mention this to, just because i dont like nor want tabbed browsing.

i also dont use my keyboard for shortcuts, and everyone reckons i am wierd for that as well, to me its a big PITA.

cheers

Last edited by glenpinn; 21st August 2013 at 5:00 PM. Reason: added text
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 5:40 PM   #18
theSeekerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
in post 13 where i offered 3 screenshots of version 14.0, in the last one (options > tab) there is an option to "Always Show the Tab Bar" which is not listed now in version 23.0 onwards, and i stated that ever since i started using firefox many years ago i have always disabled that option, and all the others in the "Tab box" except the 3rd one.

i dont understand why all the "shock/horror" reaction from some people i mention this to, just because i dont like nor want tabbed browsing.
Oh, I can understand not liking tabbed browsing. That's a subjective thing.

(I mean, I can't imagine living without it, but that's as someone who has >80 tabs open across 3 windows at this moment. Having 80 windows would be unworkable, so...)

It's the comments about becoming "more like Internet Explorer" that I don't understand...IE has become more like Firefox, not the other way around.

Quote:
i also dont use my keyboard for shortcuts, and everyone reckons i am wierd for that as well, to me its a big PITA.
That does make you a little weird. Unless you don't type much, or don't touch-type, in which case it makes perfect sense (ie. keyboard shortcuts aren't convenient unless your hands are already on the keyboard)
Old 21st August 2013, 6:00 PM   #19
glenpinn Thread Starter

Quote:
It's the comments about becoming "more like Internet Explorer" that I don't understand...IE has become more like Firefox, not the other way around
i dont see how IE resembles firefox in any way, shape or form, to me it is poles apart in appearance from firefox, hence why i made the comment i did, maybe i just see it differently.

Quote:
That does make you a little weird. ha ha there you go Unless you don't type much, or don't touch-type, in which case it makes perfect sense (ie. keyboard shortcuts aren't convenient unless your hands are already on the keyboard)
i used to type both handed 40wpm many years ago (on typewriter and keyboard) but using keyboard shortcuts was just something i never ever took up, even when i was able to type properly.

15 years ago i lost my pointer finger on my left hand in a joiners shop accident, and that then changed everything for me with the way i type, now i am a 1 finger hen pecker (using middle finger of left hand) and i mouse with my right hand, and i have to do it this way because of osteo arthritis in my hands.

i do type a lot, but not the way most people might

also consider my age, i am going on 57 (hence the bit about the typwriter) so when i started out with computers i had already settled into a typing pattern on a typewriter and shortcuts were not used back then, plus its too late now to start changing my ways, but i can type 25wpm average using one finger.

Last edited by glenpinn; 21st August 2013 at 6:04 PM.
Old 21st August 2013, 6:28 PM   #20
theSeekerr

Quote:
i dont see how IE resembles firefox in any way, shape or form, to me it is poles apart in appearance from firefox, hence why i made the comment i did, maybe i just see it differently.
Large images, so I'll link rather than embed:

Recent Firefox

Recent IE

Recent Chrome

We aren't exactly talking about a world of difference here. All 3 major browsers have simplified their interfaces into a small number of toolbar buttons, a menu button, URL/search boxes and a tab bar. The specific locations vary, but they all work basically the same way.
(And they'll look even more similar once Firefox inevitably follows the trend and unifies its URL and search bars)

Firefox is a little more customisable, interface-wise, than the other 2, but even that seems to be going away (as you've noticed)

Last edited by theSeekerr; 21st August 2013 at 6:31 PM.
theSeekerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:21 PM   #21
glenpinn Thread Starter

ahh here we go, i installed that little addon to hide that Tab bar, but every now and then firefox (or a ghost in my pc) sneakily switches it off, or just randomly makes Tabs open up the top above the address bar again, then it just disables itself again after several minutes.

must be a glitch in the system, or rather firefox dont really want anyone to not have tab browsing.
Old 23rd August 2013, 5:12 AM   #22
Aiken

Quote:

Before version 23 the tab bar was easy to turn off. Settings -> tabs then clear all the tick boxes. In version 23 the option to turn the tab bar off was removed. No confusion. Not every one wants tabs.

For what ever reason there are people that do not like tabs. Could be they are not interested in tabs and are happy with separate windows (which works for me with 10 desktops setup in kde) or want the extra vertical space on a small screen with the tab bar gone.

I am using hide tab bar with one tab to get the look back to what it was in version 22 and earlier.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:53 AM   #23
|BeFoRe|

Just click View -> Toolbars -> Customize and then drag n drop the little + sign into the box, click Done and the tab bar will be removed.

Then change the Tools -> Options -> Tabs to how you want to handle tabs ie open links in new window etc

|BeFoRe| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 1:55 PM   #24
Renza

Quote:
Originally Posted by |BeFoRe| View Post
Just click View -> Toolbars -> Customize and then drag n drop the little + sign into the box, click Done and the tab bar will be removed.

Then change the Tools -> Options -> Tabs to how you want to handle tabs ie open links in new window etc

OP wants to remove tabs completeley, not just the + icon...
Renza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 4:56 PM   #25
|BeFoRe|

That removes them completly, then once he changes the options settings it will open new links etc in a new window like before.
|BeFoRe| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 5:44 PM   #26
Aiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by |BeFoRe| View Post
Tried that and all it did is remove the + sign from the tab bar. What I have now is the tab bar with a single tab and no + sign. Tried with this copy of firefox and with a fresh profile.
Old 23rd August 2013, 7:53 PM   #27
glenpinn Thread Starter

the addon posted earlier does remove the Tab bar completely, but last night it was randomly re-appearing a few times for a few moments, and when i re-loaded firefox it was gone.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-with-one-tab/

i just dont get why the devs of firefox had to remove the option to hide Tabs in the "Tools > options > Tab"

its like they are trying to force people to use tabbed browsing.
Old 25th August 2013, 3:27 PM   #28
Renza

Quote:
its like they are trying to force people to use tabbed browsing.
you say that like tabbed browsing is evil... maybe try out ie6 if you want that 'no tabs' experience again
Renza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 5:04 PM   #29
EvilGenius

A possible alternative for you glen might be the firefox extended support release. It's on FF17 at the moment. You get continued security updates, but no changes to features.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...tions/all.html

Should still have the option for turning off tabbed browsing and won't bug you to update to the next version.
WTT - Quadro K2000m for Quadro 2000m
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 10:00 PM   #30
glenpinn Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renza View Post
you say that like tabbed browsing is evil... maybe try out ie6 if you want that 'no tabs' experience again
no im not saying nor implying tabbed browsing is evil, i know heaps of people that can live without tab browsing, but removing the "option" to disable or enable it i dont understand, and is why i said it appears to me that they want everyone to have tabbed browsing, otherwise why would they deliberately remove the tabbed browsing option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
You get continued security updates, but no changes to features.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...tions/all.html

Should still have the option for turning off tabbed browsing and won't bug you to update to the next version.
thx m8, just downloaded it.

Edit: have installed 17.08, and it doesnt automatically update to a newer version when i click the "help > about" menu like all the other versions i had installed.

yesterday i booted up my netbook for the first time in 4 months and i went to the "help > about" menu and immediately it updated it from version 14.0 to version 23.01

Last edited by glenpinn; 27th August 2013 at 8:42 AM.