Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th April 2007, 11:04 PM   #16
PaulM

Just a quick note, it's 'drivel', not 'dribble'.

Quote:
I won't spam useless dribble, nor will I actively engage in trolling the forums for an argument.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th April 2007, 9:24 AM   #17
sabretooth
Overdue for a new title

Glue liberally applied to the back of this thread.
sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 9:54 AM   #18
djjc

Thanks sabre, now my hands are filthy.
djjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 5:09 PM   #19
Gibbon
grumpy old man

I like this, though I find it very sad that we need it.

There does seem to be a lack of respect and common courtesy here - unlike other photography forums I frequent (far more often) like FM and POTN. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

The main differences I can see are:
- the other photography forums are dedicated photography forums
- the other forums would have a much older average age (just an observation)

I suspect it's mainly a maturity issue, but also because for some reason IT-related demographics seem to be more willing to become keyboard warriors IMO. The rest of the OCAU forums seem to display the same lack of respect and common courtesy (a lot of the time the forums almost seem to be a vehicle for people to show how much of a smartass they can be), so without a code of conduct I think it'd be an uphill battle to change anything here - unfortunately.
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 5:12 PM   #20
oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
I suspect it's mainly a maturity issue, but also because for some reason IT-related demographics seem to be more willing to become keyboard warriors IMO. The rest of the OCAU forums seem to display the same lack of respect and common courtesy (a lot of the time the forums almost seem to be a vehicle for people to show how much of a smartass they can be), so without a code of conduct I think it'd be an uphill battle to change anything here - unfortunately.
Easy solution, remove the photography sub-forum.
oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 5:25 PM   #21
BMan2

.. though if you've ever trolled through ozmodel's forums you'd be disgusted at the petty bickering that goes on there ....

two wrongs don't make it right though :P
BMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 9:20 PM   #22
Slug69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
I like this, though I find it very sad that we need it.

There does seem to be a lack of respect and common courtesy here - unlike other photography forums I frequent (far more often) like FM and POTN. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

The main differences I can see are:
- the other photography forums are dedicated photography forums
- the other forums would have a much older average age (just an observation)

Sometimes people bring their baggage from other forums into the photography forum as well.

I have seen some right arseholes post some superb pictures here!

Last edited by Slug69; 23rd April 2007 at 9:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Slug69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 5:15 PM   #23
jayjones1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

you got that for sure
jayjones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 9:56 PM   #24
plasticbastard Thread Starter

Hi guys,

In light of a few recent events in The Gallery sub-forum, I've decided to revisit this topic and revise the list.

Changes have now been made to the Wiki and this version - hopefully streamlining the items and making the wording a little easier to follow.
plasticbastard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 3:53 PM   #25

Another update after the derailment of the Ed & Dave Glamour threads held in Melbourne recently.

Please keep this forum civilised.

I've also added a draft for review/comment by all members of this forum in regards to organised events/group buys & vendor behaviour.

Last edited by plasticbastard; 18th April 2010 at 4:01 PM.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:03 AM   #26
Paul Warren

Very happy to see this thread setup.

We're interested in why you keep hammering your 'vendor behavior' point though ..
Old 28th April 2010, 11:12 AM   #27
koma_white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warren View Post

We're interested in why you keep hammering your 'vendor behavior' point though ..
Perhaps because the opinions voiced or comments made should be viewed in a different light when there is a potential financial impact, be it positive or negative. It's much the same as why vendor verdicts are forbidden on this forum.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warren View Post

I'm hardly hammering the subject, the whole point of the update is a starting point for comment & review. A lot of us that saw the action/took part in the glamour threads have moved on.

That said, the code of conduct presented in this thread are not the OCAU forum rules, people are free to ignore the code of conduct presented as they wish.

As far as vendors/organised events where a financial transaction is made, I think it is only fair to attendees to have as much information available as possible, as well as being aware of what those implications are.

I personally think it is better for the forums to avoid the mudslinging as per the threads re Melbourne Glamour Shoot.

Threads like that can lead to forum members that have provided positive contributions in the past leaving, and lets face it, most of us are here because we have a passion for photography at any level, and to some extent technology, this is a fantastic place to learn new techniques from, and some great friendships have been struck as a result.

At any rate, positive feedback and comments are welcome.

Last edited by plasticbastard; 28th April 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Clarification of a point.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:39 AM   #29
Deftone2k

Well said plastic

I know some OCAU members are purely still here just because of the photography section, due to the deterioration over time of other sub sections that have been ruined by influxes of people who make it.. generally not a nice place to be.. definitely dont want that to happen here.

And to some degree a few people have already left due to the change of this section over time...

Dave and Ed have provided some great offerings/services to OCAU I would hate for them to stop offering them here, or even worse stop coming here altogether.
Deftone2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Paul Warren

I agree with your points ..

Obviously I'm very disappointed with how the melbourne glamour workshop was derailed here, by a vocal minority.

(The vocal minority seemed to think we stood to a mint from this event.. Well for their info, we/I lost -$1500. I said from the start, it wasn't about the money).

I've since spoken to Agg about it extensively and mentioned that a code of conduct should be implemented for sanctioned events in order to maintain the forums.

So I certainly commend you on your efforts to jump in and so something about this in the photography forum.

All the best.

- Paul.