Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Old 10th August 2002, 1:26 AM   #1
old timer Thread Starter

Question vinyl dye

recently got myself a black aluminium case and want to paint the DVD, CD/RW and floppy... saw an article on using Vinyl Dye but for the hell of me cant find any in Cairns..... Anyone got any ideas?
Got rid of the 700Athlon...now have a 2 gig Pentium 4, Gainward ti4200 vid card, soundblater audigy platinum, Epox 4G4A+ mobo, 512 Corsair DDR ram....any help in finding that vinyl dye would be appreciated.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 1:50 AM   #2
looktall
Working Class Hero

have you tried an autobarn store? or another auto parts type shop.
looktall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 1:55 AM   #3
old timer Thread Starter

Post vinyl dye

yeah mate... they have some vinyl spray paints.. but not vinyl dye... will check out a few more tomorrow.....thanks though...much appreciated... now. its bedtime for the old bloke...
Old 10th August 2002, 2:01 AM   #4
BlueSmurf
Dream it. Build it.

Bunnings

Vinyl spray and Vinyl dye are probably the same thing. Check into it.

BlueSmurf.
BlueSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 9:23 AM   #5
Meranaldar

I got some stuff from Autobarn which I thought was Vinyl Dye (was called Penetrating Color Dye, brand VHT, lists all the same uses as the White Knight stuff I got from bunnings), but have had it come off my keyboard keys a few times, can actually sratch it off with my fingernail.
From what I've heard of Vinyl Dye, that shouldn't be possible.

Anyway, I'd recommend staying away from the one I mentioned.
Meranaldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 9:33 AM   #6
Waynus

Bunnings didn't have clue what I was talking about. Went to SuperCheap Auto and found a spray can of "VHT brand penetrating Color Dye for vinyl (black satin)" in amongst the cans of spray paint. Cost $13 from memory. Dyed all my floppy, cd, cdrw, and dvd faces with it about 2 months ago and so far none are showing any signs of marking.
Waynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 11:06 AM   #7
old timer Thread Starter

Talking vinly dye

thanks guys.. been a real help... off to Super Cheap right now... well in a mnute or two.....may check out Blue Smurf's stuff at Bunnings as well.....thanks again...now I hope to get rid of these terrible beige faces in my georueous black case.... I got the vinyl dye idea from modthebox.com ... of course a canadian site
Old 10th August 2002, 11:52 AM   #8
mibberz

art stores if in dout
OCAU Scuba Diver Member #01
My Ebay Stuff
Urban Dead rocks!
mibberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 3:15 PM   #9
Meranaldar

Quote:
Originally posted by Waynus
Bunnings didn't have clue what I was talking about. Went to SuperCheap Auto and found a spray can of "VHT brand penetrating Color Dye for vinyl (black satin)" in amongst the cans of spray paint. Cost $13 from memory. Dyed all my floppy, cd, cdrw, and dvd faces with it about 2 months ago and so far none are showing any signs of marking.
Hrmm, the same as what I got (except in red satin). Maybe it's just the type of plastic on my keys, or the fact that they get handled a lot more.
I've got the VHT black satin on the rest of the keyboard, so far thats held up fine, though I'm not going to try the fingernail test on it.
Must be over a year now since I did it.
Old 10th August 2002, 3:33 PM   #10
BlueSmurf
Dream it. Build it.

The key thing to remember about using vinyl dye is:

PENETRATION.

Vinyl dye changes the colour of the plastic. So if you only apply a small amount, you've only really changed the outermost layer - or worst case, you've just got dye residue sitting on top. It'll rub off and a slight scratch will reveal the original colour.

The trick is not so much to apply thick coats, but plenty of good covering coats. This isn't paint, so you can safely apply much more and a run will simply wipe off after it's all soaked into the plastic.

On my vinyl dye jobs I usually apply a good 6-8 coats. Starting off light and getting a little heavier on the final coats leaving 10-30 minutes between coats depending on the temperature and whether the plastic abosrbs it easy. In simple terms wait until it's touch dry.

Once it's all soaked in and dried you can then wash/wipe the dyed object to remove the residue from the surface.

My dyed keyboards/mice are virtually scratch proof (screwdriver test ) and have never left marks on hands after they were washed down after completion.

BlueSmurf.

PS - BlueSmurf's handy tip #103: Don't apply vinyl dye in temeratures of less than 20 degrees ambient. It causes it to have a milky appearance. If this happens, don't fret, just wait until the temperature warms up and recoat.

Last edited by BlueSmurf; 10th August 2002 at 3:35 PM.
BlueSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 4:21 PM   #11
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSmurf

PS - BlueSmurf's handy tip #103: Don't apply vinyl dye in temeratures of less than 20 degrees ambient. It causes it to have a milky appearance. If this happens, don't fret, just wait until the temperature warms up and recoat.
well, there goes that idea. looks like i'll have to wait until summer to try it out on my stuff.
i don't even remember the last time the temp was higher than 20 degrees where i live. lol
looktall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 4:38 PM   #12
old timer Thread Starter

Talking vinyl dye

thanks again guys..... and jeezz... when we get below 20 its winter... our winter was on a thursday this year... but we did have one or two nights when it got down to less than 14C....
Old 13th August 2002, 11:16 AM   #13
old timer Thread Starter

Talking vinyl dye final

tried both of the products... found the best results came from the VHT penetrating dye.....tried on old CD and Floppy faces... won't be long now before I don't have to put up with those biege faces.
thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by old timer; 13th August 2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old 20th August 2002, 10:58 AM   #14
d_hall

Quote:
Originally posted by Meranaldar
Hrmm, the same as what I got (except in red satin). Maybe it's just the type of plastic on my keys, or the fact that they get handled a lot more...
I put light and dark blue (same brand) on a system for my GFs 4-year-old sister. I used it over the weekend and a year later it still looks fine, even the keyboard and the mouse.

How well can you see the lettering on the keys? I found that even with the light blue, two light coats was enough to make them too difficult to read (not really a problem for me, but the kid can't touch type yet ). My point is that if you can still read the lettering, that might be an indication of how absorbant the plastic is?
Old 20th August 2002, 8:36 PM   #15
Meranaldar

Quote:
Originally posted by d_hall

How well can you see the lettering on the keys? I found that even with the light blue, two light coats was enough to make them too difficult to read (not really a problem for me, but the kid can't touch type yet ). My point is that if you can still read the lettering, that might be an indication of how absorbant the plastic is?
Well I did five light coats, and can read the lettering fine. I can touch type, though I still have to look at a few symbols I rarely use.

In fact, the way I found out the lettering would show through, is on my mouse I was trying to get rid of the brand name, but no matter how many coats I gave it, it wouldn't disappear. I eventually gave up and figured I'd do the keys on my keyboard.

I've got a couple of things I need to paint, so I'll try doing the keys that have worn off with heavy coats and see how it goes. Might be a while before I get the time though.