Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > General Software

Notices

Old 11th August 2002, 1:23 PM   #1
Audiobuzz Thread Starter

Default Virus scanners - which is best

Inline with the frontpage thread about virii, which is the best virus scanner either commercial or otherwise and why?

I'm prepared to pay a bit for something which will actually work and provides regular (at least weekly if not daily) signature file updates.

AB
Audiobuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 1:52 PM   #2
gords
Thread Killer

I use VET at home and at work. It works well at both places - at work, it's a 'set and forget' thing. I also use VET at home, although I haven't had a virus for about 4 years. Virus definitions are released very regularly, usually every 1-2 days. We've had days at work when VET has downloaded definitions twice or three times in one day, because that's how quickly they are releasing them!

I've also got NAV 2000, which worked well when we were using it. In my opinion, it seemed more memory hungry than VET, and takes a little bit longer to scan.

Out of the two, I'd recommend VET.
gords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 2:15 PM   #3
influx

AVG Anti-virus is free and does the job pretty well, includes an email scanner and works under XP. www.grisoft.com, its an 8 meg download.
influx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 2:26 PM   #4
Gandalf

I've clients that use both VET and AVG - they are both OK, but the best of the lot is nod32 - try the site at www.nod32.com.au, then checkout the Virus Bulletin test results - nothing else is as good - and it is the fastest scanner.
Old 11th August 2002, 2:44 PM   #5
PersianImmortal

Symantec is the leader in anti-virus research IMHO, so I recommend Norton Antivirus 2002 run on a full scan every few days (with regularly updated virus definitions of course). If you're a gamer, then don't run ANY virus scanner in the background. While it may protect your system, it can cause so many problems it's not worth it. Aside from crashes, it can also corrupt patch installations for example.

For trojans, run The Cleaner regularly on a full scan.

Using these two products, I've managed to avoid any virus or trojan-related problems over the past few years. I've only found 4 virii and 2 trojans on my system in that time btw.

Another useful virus-prevention tip: Don't have any address book entries in Outlook Express. Most virii work by mailing themselves out using your address book entries. I have an empty address book and so a virus simply cannot mail itself out (unless it has a pre-programmed address).

Instead put all your email addresses in a .txt file, and if you're running XP with NTFS you can also put your email and other important passwords in a easy-to-access .txt file and then right-click on the text file, choose Properties>Advanced>"Encrypt Contents to Secure Data". That way only your user login can read that file. Even if it's downloaded and sent to other people they can't read it without your access rights.
Old 11th August 2002, 3:00 PM   #6
Chazza

Another vote for Norton Antivirus 2002. Works well on Windows 2000 and XP. No bullshit, no complex settings, no memory hogging. Sits their quietly, updates itself, does the job.

(Except I disable email scanning since I don't need it).
Old 11th August 2002, 3:11 PM   #7
looktall
Working Class Hero

why would you not need email scanning?

a vote for AVG here.
i used VET when i was at TAFE and i've tried NOD.
i much prefered AVG.

it runs in the background, can be set to scan at a time of your choosing (i run it daily during the night when i'm asleep), it can be set to check for updates at any time you choose (i have it set for every three days), does a boot scan, email and it's totally free. forever.

i'm pretty sure you can use it to scan your network as well, but i think that might be against the terms of the licence.

it's saved me a few times. if it finds a virus and you're not there to tell it what to do, it will remove the infected file to the vault.
where you can try to repair it, or just delete it.
looktall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 3:29 PM   #8
Chazza

Quote:
Originally posted by looktall
why would you not need email scanning?
1. I'm not easily fooled by virus scripts, etc posed as innocent files.

2. My web server scans the e-mail as it comes in.

Plus I find Norton's Email scanning extremely annoying how it brings up the splash screen everytime you want to send/receive email.
Old 11th August 2002, 3:40 PM   #9
gabbs19

I run nortan antivirus nt.5.0.
Funny I seen the virus warning on the front page of overclockers aus and thought hmm i better do a scan and what did I find but W32.Evala Worm.
I would have missed it last week cause i was playing jedi knight 2 and it started it weekly scan and i stopped it as it was lagging me up.
Anyway one vote for nortans.

Successful trades: CerealKiller, Kanishka(X2), AuroythmiX.

[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #19]
gabbs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 3:52 PM   #10
Spazo

I use Nortons 2002 as well and can highly recommend it.The scanning of incomeing email is a bonus.
Spazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 9:08 PM   #11
Spikey

Quote:
Originally posted by Spazo
I use Nortons 2002 as well and can highly recommend it.The scanning of incomeing email is a bonus.
Yes I agree, NAV 2002 is excellent, I've also used VET, but it wasnt as good
OCAU Fitness Club Co-Founder | OCAU Weight Training Club Founder | OCAU Anime Club Member #3
Overclockers Australia Folding@Home V2 75 Club Member | Overclockers Australia Folding@Home V2 1000 Milestone Club Member
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 9:28 PM   #12
d00bie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chazza
Plus I find Norton's Email scanning extremely annoying how it brings up the splash screen everytime you want to send/receive email.
it only does that cuz it sets itself up as a POP server in outlook/express, and it downloads the mail, then passes it along to your client.

i've used nortons for years, and it's bloody good. there's my vote
Old 11th August 2002, 9:32 PM   #13
EEE

I use PC-Cillin 2000 on a few computers, really happy with it (haven't tried 2002). Scans everything, pattern updates average of 3 times a week (made by Trend).
EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2002, 9:41 PM   #14
baloor

If you want a good anti-virus program but cannot afford to pay out a lot.
Try some aussie pc mags. Without doing any advertising for them
there is one that provides a monthly full subscription to NOD32
just have to find that 7 odd bucks a month for the mag. Some may find this a more affordable solution than the bigger one of reg fee.

NOD32 has been on my system for some time. It includes a POP3 scanner to pass mail thru before reaching your chosen mail client.

just my 0.02c
Old 11th August 2002, 9:50 PM   #15
thetron

Don't forget the Online Scanners

Housecall and Symantec's
thetron is offline   Reply With Quote