Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 25th August 2002, 2:40 AM   #1
Xenon Thread Starter
Shīrāzī

Angry Asus P4T533 Sucks :(

I have been playing with this board for the last 2 weeks. It's a very fast, and stable board when used with PC1066 RDRAM. It also overclocks well. However it disappoints me to no end, to see Asus not support their high end products well.
These are the problems I have with it:

1. Too many damn jumpers.

2. They proclaim that the board has 1MHz FSB adjustment. They even write it on the box that they ship the board in. However that option is not enabled in the bios. After several emails to them, they have finally said that they are not planning to enable this feature.

3. The CPU Voltage adjustment does not function properly. If you jumper the board for non-auto cpu Voltage, it keeps the VCore at 1.5v all the time. However if you try the manual bios controlled setting, then the board cold boots with the VCore at 1.6v, but every warm boot after that your VCore jumps to 1.79v. This always sets off the built in alarms on the board. You can disable the VCore monitoring in the bios, and the post errors \ disappear, but all monitoring progs(eg. Asus Probe, Motherboard Monitor) also report the VCore at 1.79v.

Now this does not seem to worry the P4 chips, but I'm not very comfortable at letting clients machines leave with VCore running at 1.79v, as it may shorten the life of the CPU.

I've also tried 3 different boards, all of which exhibit this exact fault.

I've tried bios revisions 1004, 1005c, 1006a, and none of them seem to have addressed the above mentioned problem.

What I want to know is what they are going to do about it. Don't buy this board until they get their act together. For a $500+ they have left much to be desired.

[Agg edit: made thread title a little more newspage-friendly]

Last edited by Agg; 26th August 2002 at 2:40 PM.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 2:49 AM   #2
xtreme2k

I have got the P4T533-C. And it had the voltage problem you were talking about. However, after I upgraded to the 1005C bios it seems to fixed that totally.
xtreme2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 2:57 AM   #3
chainbolt

hmmm, you are not the first reporting this, others, like me, are happy with the high performance of this board, it's a controversial board, that's for sure.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 9:36 AM   #4
Xenon Thread Starter
Shīrāzī

Quote:
Originally posted by chainbolt
hmmm, you are not the first reporting this, others, like me, are happy with the high performance of this board, it's a controversial board, that's for sure.
Don't get me wrong, The board performs great. I just can't stand the fact they let it ship with the problems. 6 bios revisions later, and they have not been able to iron out the bugs. I personally don't think that the Voltage problem can be fixed via a bios update. Perhaps a board revision is required to address a hardware issue.
Old 25th August 2002, 10:19 AM   #5
chainbolt

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenon

Don't get me wrong, The board performs great. I just can't stand the fact they let it ship with the problems. 6 bios revisions later, and they have not been able to iron out the bugs. I personally don't think that the Voltage problem can be fixed via a bios update. Perhaps a board revision is required to address a hardware issue.
I will try the Epox 4T4A, that is the equivalent from epox with RIMM 4200/232 pin. The board is announced and should retail in a few days. It has the new ICH4 and VDIMM adjustment.
Old 25th August 2002, 11:46 AM   #6
Stax

Hi Guys..
Looking to get this board, NOT FOR OVERCLOCKING, and have read with interest your notes.
Would you recommend this board as a High End Video Capture Board. I an putting a Canopus DV REX ($10K card) into it, so I want to make sure this board will be OK. I am currently looking at the Intel boards because they are stable.
The Fast 4200 Ram is the real draw, price is not an issue.

Thanks
Stax
Old 25th August 2002, 12:21 PM   #7
pilot6

Default Re: Asus P4T533 Sucks :(

Quote:
The CPU Voltage adjustment does not function properly. If you jumper the board for non-auto cpu Voltage, it keeps the VCore at 1.5v all the time. However if you try the manual bios controlled setting, then the board cold boots with the VCore at 1.6v, but every warm boot after that your VCore jumps to 1.79v. This always sets off the built in alarms on the board. You can disable the VCore monitoring in the bios, and the post errors \ disappear, but all monitoring progs(eg. Asus Probe, Motherboard Monitor) also report the VCore at 1.79v.
Your obviously talking about the P4T533-C Mobo here I have both the "C" version and non "C" version now the way the P4T533-C behaves with voltages on my Mobo is if you set the Overvolt jumper it automatically boots @1.6V regardless if its in Auto or setting it @1.5v now if you say manually change it to 1.7V in bios it actually adds .1volt to give it 1.8v but as soon as I put the overvolt disabled it runs according to what the setting is which brings me to the question have you got the overvolt enabled or disabled this may be causing the high voltages you are getting.
Old 25th August 2002, 2:18 PM   #8
Xenon Thread Starter
Shīrāzī

Default Re: Re: Asus P4T533 Sucks :(

Quote:
Originally posted by pilot6

Your obviously talking about the P4T533-C Mobo here I have both the "C" version and non "C" version now the way the P4T533-C behaves with voltages on my Mobo is if you set the Overvolt jumper it automatically boots @1.6V regardless if its in Auto or setting it @1.5v now if you say manually change it to 1.7V in bios it actually adds .1volt to give it 1.8v but as soon as I put the overvolt disabled it runs according to what the setting is which brings me to the question have you got the overvolt enabled or disabled this may be causing the high voltages you are getting.
That is exactly what my problem is. However in order to overclock chips, you need the manual Vcore adjustment, for which you must set the overvolt jumper. The problem lies with the fact that once you set the jumper you end up losing the ability to set different levels of Vcore, without it running automatically at 1.79-1.8v. You either have to stick to 1.5v, or 1.79-1.8v. You don't have control of anything in between.
Old 25th August 2002, 2:19 PM   #9
Xenon Thread Starter
Shīrāzī

Quote:
Originally posted by Stax
Hi Guys..
Looking to get this board, NOT FOR OVERCLOCKING, and have read with interest your notes.
Would you recommend this board as a High End Video Capture Board. I an putting a Canopus DV REX ($10K card) into it, so I want to make sure this board will be OK. I am currently looking at the Intel boards because they are stable.
The Fast 4200 Ram is the real draw, price is not an issue.

Thanks
Stax
As long as you don't want to play with the overclocking features(or lack thereof), then the board is a good buy. Very Speedy.
Old 25th August 2002, 4:28 PM   #10
chainbolt

Quote:

As long as you don't want to play with the overclocking features(or lack thereof), then the board is a good buy. Very Speedy.
Xenon, excuse me, these are your experiences, my experince with the P4T533 is that this is the highest overclocking PC 1060 board around and the best performing anyway. Or do you think 172 MHz FSB are bad? Even some DDR board cannot do this.

Sure, for extreme overclocking a DDR board is better, but running a P4 2.26 at over 3000 Mhz on a RDRAM board is something. The same CPU would just go 40 Mhz higher on my DDR board.

For A/V editing this is the IDEAL platform.

Last edited by chainbolt; 25th August 2002 at 4:31 PM.
Old 25th August 2002, 4:34 PM   #11
GreenBeret

Is that stable, chainbolt ? You said it's an ideal platform for AV editing ?

Show us: 3DMark, PCMark, Prime95, or memtest86 if you can. I've read about many bad experiences with the P4T533 like Xenon's. You are perhaps the only person on earth who has good experience with that board.
"If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100lb onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day." - BrozScience
GreenBeret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 4:34 PM   #12
Xenon Thread Starter
Shīrāzī

Quote:
Originally posted by chainbolt

Xenon, excuse me, these are your experiences, my experince with the P4T533 is that this is the highest overclocking PC 1060 board around and the best performing anyway. Or do you think 172 MHz FSB are bad? Even some DDR board cannot do this.

Sure, for extreme overclocking a DDR board is better, but running a P4 2.26 at over 3000 Mhz on a RDRAM board is something. The same CPU would just go 40 Mhz higher on my DDR board.

For A/V editing this is the IDEAL platform.

I agree 100%. This board is the fastest board I've seen. I'm just letting people know what they are in for, when they buy one. I also hate Asus for lying about it's features(which are not present). I have not taken back, or stopped using my own board.
Old 25th August 2002, 4:35 PM   #13
Xenon Thread Starter
Shīrāzī

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenBeret
Is that stable, chainbolt ? You said it's an ideal platform for AV editing ?

Show us: 3DMark, PCMark, Prime95, or memtest86 if you can. I've read about many bad experiences with the P4T533 like Xenon's. You are perhaps the only person on earth who has good experience with that board.
The board is very stable. It's a love-hate relationship. You love the board, but hate the makers for short-changing you.
Old 25th August 2002, 4:38 PM   #14
GreenBeret

Quote:

The board is very stable.
huh ? I'm asking chainbolt whether his system is stable at 172MHz FSB with RDRAM. You don't overclock, do you ? Then your board should be stable at default, otherwise it's a piece of shit.

Buying such an expensive board just to run it at default, is a waste of money.
"If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100lb onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day." - BrozScience
GreenBeret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 5:32 PM   #15
Xenon Thread Starter
Shīrāzī

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenBeret

huh ? I'm asking chainbolt whether his system is stable at 172MHz FSB with RDRAM. You don't overclock, do you ? Then your board should be stable at default, otherwise it's a piece of shit.

Buying such an expensive board just to run it at default, is a waste of money.
What would I be doing on a forum like this, if I did not overclock

The board is very stable even when overclocked(my own experience).