MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th July 2017, 5:39 PM   #7652
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
no need to experiment. they will use the same amount of power
Partially/possibly true.

It's correct that for exactly the same bodies of water the same amount of energy is required to heat/maintain the same temp. However the construction of the two heaters is quite different. The heater element windings differ, the number differ and the suggestion of what sized body of water they're suitable for is vastly different.

So I'm looking for any differences in efficiency on heat transfer between the heaters.
holdennutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 10:49 AM   #7653
Lupuscrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdennutta View Post
The plants in the tank are stuffed unfortunately. The RHS tank with all the Cory's, cardinals and bristlenose has been fairly successful with the plants but the old LHS 200L tank has just destroyed the plants. I wonder whether it's a CO2 deficiency as the leaves have yellowed a bit. Some of the other plants just melted away to Half their size and stayed like that. I wonder if 20 neons and a bristlnose aren't producing enough for the plants?

Bought some root tabs and flourish to try. Didn't get any liquid CO2 as I'm hoping the extra waste from the Rams will help.
I'm guessing the ones that are melting are the 2 large leafed ones, red temple something and aluminum something? I have/had the same plants, found that they are not really a submersion style plant, mine broke down and the few stems that where close to the surface survived and went nuts once they broke the surface.
Old 17th July 2017, 1:51 PM   #7654
mils1

Yellowing of leaves is the lack of potassium & for red leaf plants you need iron. Only put iron or potassium 24 hours apart, you can't dump them in at the same time.

Quote:
Partially/possibly true.

It's correct that for exactly the same bodies of water the same amount of energy is required to heat/maintain the same temp. However the construction of the two heaters is quite different. The heater element windings differ, the number differ and the suggestion of what sized body of water they're suitable for is vastly different.

So I'm looking for any differences in efficiency on heat transfer between the heaters.
If you have 1 heater that is big enough for your tank then the other only acts like a backup, you would set the backup at slightly cooler so effectively it only comes on when the other heater is gone or can't keep your tank at the right temp during colder nights..

Last edited by Ma Baker; 17th July 2017 at 2:30 PM. Reason: 2 posts merged. Please edit your post
mils1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 6:14 PM   #7655
MUTMAN

Quote:
...However the construction of the two heaters is quite different. The heater element windings differ, the number differ and the suggestion of what sized body of water they're suitable for is vastly different...

windings, style etc all matter for nil
its a fundamental law of physics
250watts of energy is 250 watts no matter which way you slice it.
its heat
125w for 2 minutes is the same energy as 250w for 1 minute (in respect to a large tank volume of water being kept at sensible temp limits of course. a thimble of water at 99C is a different matter)

i think the line is
energy cant be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another or transfered to another system
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote