OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 10th July 2017, 10:08 AM   #1606
Scarpetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
That's why I'm going to ask my vet about having him vaccinated. It never occurred to me to have him vaccinated when I first got him because I only learned it existed when he came down with it and he was pretty crook for a couple of days. Had he been a stray he could have died from it but I look after him so his immune system fought it off. I'd like to have him around for as long as possible and I'm afraid that if he gets it again he may not recover like he did this time given his age. Based on what I read even after they get the flu it's still worth having them vaccinated because there are many strains with some worse than others.
You'll find that you can't vaccinate against cat flu if they are already a carrier. There are several different strains and it's very expensive to test for which one they have had and which one they're a carrier for. Some strains are for life and some aren't

Did he have cat flu according to the vet or dr Google?

Last edited by Scarpetta; 10th July 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Scarpetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th July 2017, 11:03 AM   #1607
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpetta View Post
You'll find that you can't vaccinate against cat flu if they are already a carrier. There are several different strains and it's very expensive to test for which one they have had and which one they're a carrier for. Some strains are for life and some aren't

Did he have cat flu according to the vet or dr Google?
He had cat flu according to Dr Google! His symptoms fit those of cat flu perfectly. I'm guessing that he had the milder calicivirus version but a test would be required to confirm it. The eye with the discharge took a couple of weeks to stop and the ulcer on his gum line took about a week to resolve itself.

He looks to be completely back to normal and the following is encouraging.

Quote:
Many cats are able to completely rid their bodies of the virus after one to two years, so that they are no longer carriers.
https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/cat-flu

The following contradicts what you wrote about vaccinating being a waste of time after a cat has had the flu. It's from a vet clinic however and they make money from things like vaccinations.

Quote:
My cat has had cat ‘flu. Should I bother to vaccinate it?

YES! Your cat is likely to have been infected with only one of the viruses so will still be susceptible to infection with the other.
http://www.catclinic.co.uk/cat-flu.html

It's good to know that it can't be transmitted to humans so I can keep picking him up and cuddling him!
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 11:39 AM   #1608
Scarpetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
He had cat flu according to Dr Google! His symptoms fit those of cat flu perfectly. I'm guessing that he had the milder calicivirus version but a test would be required to confirm it. The eye with the discharge took a couple of weeks to stop and the ulcer on his gum line took about a week to resolve itself.
So your cat was sick for weeks and all you did was consult google instead of taking it to the vet?

Scarpetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 11:53 AM   #1609
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpetta View Post
So your cat was sick for weeks and all you did was consult google instead of taking it to the vet?

I did what it suggested at the websites I looked at. I tried to give him food that he could smell to encourage him to eat (he wouldn't eat it) & I bought multiple cans of beef in gravy that I knew he liked which I hoped would see him eating the next day. When he began eating again the next day I figured that he was on the mend and I kept cleaning his weeping eye multiple times each day and monitored his condition. The worst of it was over so quickly I saw no reason to take him to the vet where he probably picked up the virus in the first place like he picked up fleas. Had he not improved so quickly I'd have taken him to the vet who probably would have confirmed that he had cat flu and advised me to continue to do what I was doing.
Old 10th July 2017, 3:02 PM   #1610
sammy_b0i

Nothing interesting to report. Just our sleeping cats.

OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 10:47 PM   #1611
thommo101

After losing our previous cat earlier in the year, we felt it was time to adopt another old girl.

We managed to find this gorgeous thing in Cat Haven. I present Kilo, a 10 year old domestic medium hair (maybe with a bit of Maine Coon in her!)

It didn't take her long to find her voice, and her confidence. She loves to chase anything resembling a string (getting shoelaces on in the morning can be a challenge!). And as the pic/video below shows, she absolutely loves a belly rub!

https://www.facebook.com/rodney.thom...55012318405041

The only downside is she is a bit food obsessed. She is on a diet that is maintaining her current weight, but she doesn't like it much! She gets very meowy in the morning / evening around dinner time.

We have been trying to train her out of the meowing, by ignoring the meows, and only feeding her when she has been quiet for several minutes at a time. It seems to have helped a bit, but if either of us makes a move vaguely in the direction of the food, she sprints off meowing!

We were also thinking that an automatic feeder may help, in that she might meow at it instead of us!
Old 13th July 2017, 11:04 PM   #1612
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommo101 View Post
maybe with a bit of Maine Coon in her!
She looks like my girl. Mine's a "talker", maybe it's a breed thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 11:33 PM   #1613
thommo101

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
She looks like my girl. Mine's a "talker", maybe it's a breed thing?
From my googling I've read that Maine Coons are a chatty sort. I think the ignoring training is actually training me to ignore her. So at least I'm not waking up in the night all the time!
Old 14th July 2017, 9:12 AM   #1614
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommo101 View Post
From my googling I've read that Maine Coons are a chatty sort.
Mine is. She's also a hisser. I've never had a cat who hisses until her. She also sits up and begs. She's kind of strange, but I love her. She does seem keen on her tucker, but I just ignore her if I've got better things to do than chase around after her. She'll usually just give up and go and lie down until it really is tea-time, but it won't stop her suggesting that tea-time is 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Good luck with that
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
Old 17th July 2017, 4:32 PM   #1615
PsychoSmiley

Out of curiosity do people have nicknames for their cats? We have quite a few for ours but I wasn't sure if it was just a thing we did.
Old 17th July 2017, 4:54 PM   #1616
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSmiley View Post
Out of curiosity do people have nicknames for their cats? We have quite a few for ours but I wasn't sure if it was just a thing we did.
A lot of people give their cats names as if they were humans but that's always seemed odd to me. When the receptionist at the vet clinic asks me my cat's name I say his name is cat. That doesn't mean I'm not fond of my cat.

There's a guy in the block of townhouses I live in who lives alone and he had a cat he called Lucky and when he recently invited me into his courtyard at the rear of his townhouse I found a grave with a wooden cross with the name Lucky on it. I never figured the guy to be the type to do something like that. The cat was the only thing in the world he loved.
Old 17th July 2017, 5:55 PM   #1617
m0n4g3

I could name the nicknames i have given my cat... but not sure that they are appropriate for this forum.

Asshole, bastard.... etc etc

But i still love him... Cooper
i7-5930k @ 4.0ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus X99 Sabertooth TUF | 2x 980TI SLI with EK CU Blocks | 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 | 256gb Samsung 840pro | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 6:19 PM   #1618
broccoli

Quote:
Sort of. They have their proper names, but I call them shorter versions. And then I'll do a rhyming thing with it. Melanie=Mellie=Mellie Belly. I've given my other cat a middle name she doesn't really have. They aren't really nicknames, but variations of their names.
Quote:
Old 17th July 2017, 6:40 PM   #1619
encode

Quote:
Mine has a name, Gallifrey, and a nickname, mischief.

I find it surprising that people wouldn't name their cat when there are people out there that even name their car, but I'm sure their cat is still special to them.
Old 17th July 2017, 8:38 PM   #1620
fleetfeather

Quote:
Richie's nickname is prince, because he has a fair bit of attitude to him, and he looks regal AF.

Finn's nickname is donut - he's always in that circular sleeping position, and 'donut' also sounds about as dumb as he is.

4790k @ 4.7 | D15 | 1080Ti FE @ 2.0 | VII IMPACT | 16GB Tactical LP @ 2133 C9 | XP941 256GB | Ultra II 960GB | 460W Fanless | Nano S | X34 Predator | G303 | Artisan Hayate | A700X + D1 + Modmic
fleetfeather is offline   Reply With Quote