Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food

Notices

Old 8th May 2012, 12:16 AM   #46
gregpolk

They pack a bit less flavour I think. So depends what you're after. I'd probably put them on par with Kettle. Can't beat them on price.
gregpolk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 1:27 AM   #47
ddk Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
They pack a bit less flavour I think. So depends what you're after. I'd probably put them on par with Kettle. Can't beat them on price.
That might just be a batch issue. Being a chipaholic, I've noticed that even with Smiths, some batches are just light on flavour whilst others are heaped with it to the point of making you sick. I find the Blackstone chips to be generally very flavourful, sometimes even too much.
ddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 2:28 AM   #48
Bigtosser

I really love their Hausbrot Rye bead, 800 grams $1.99 and it is delicious, with caraway or fennel seeds in it. That is so cheap for that bread.
If you like dark rye bread of course. Not everyone does.
And its really good for you.
Some smoked salmon, capers, onion rings, and sour cream, squeeze of lemon
black pepper, malden sea salt
heavenly!

'cause Brent doesn't fit in the glory hole, and that's why we all love Brent!
Bigtosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 7:35 AM   #49
Guts

- Plain crinkle cut chips in a blue bag, something like $1.79, taste great.
- Maxibon like ice cream bar, better then a real maxibon!
- Any haribo lollies
- Vintage cheese slices
- any of the soft cheeses (bries/camberts)
Old 9th May 2012, 7:13 PM   #50
csbalkwill

I am eating the lasagne now, and it is pretty damn tasty! I got the ~400g size one so I could try it before committing the the 2kg one (family size).

I must say it isn't the best ever (and for $3.00 who would expect it to be) but I will definitely be buying this again.
csbalkwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 10:08 PM   #51
ddk Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbalkwill View Post
I am eating the lasagne now, and it is pretty damn tasty! I got the ~400g size one so I could try it before committing the the 2kg one (family size).

I must say it isn't the best ever (and for $3.00 who would expect it to be) but I will definitely be buying this again.
$3? The 400g one where I shop is $2.50. Also, the 2kg one is, IMO, significantly better than the microwave one.

Although the instructions say to take the lid off, I actually keep it on for the first 40 minutes and then take it off for the last 30 minutes. That way the top pasta layer doesn't peel, dry out and get burnt as parts of it buckle. Instead, you just get a nice crispy top with melt in the mouth béchamel and rich, tomatoey goodness.

Shit. Now I want one.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:56 PM   #52
trackhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk View Post
$3? The 400g one where I shop is $2.50. Also, the 2kg one is, IMO, significantly better than the microwave one.

Although the instructions say to take the lid off, I actually keep it on for the first 40 minutes and then take it off for the last 30 minutes. That way the top pasta layer doesn't peel, dry out and get burnt as parts of it buckle. Instead, you just get a nice crispy top with melt in the mouth béchamel and rich, tomatoey goodness.

Shit. Now I want one.
Those Aldi lasagnes are pretty good for a quick, cheap, dirty, tasty meal. Just be -really- careful with how you cook them, as it's easy to make the sides crispy and yuck.
Shooter: 7D Mark II | 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.4 Σ 70-200 f/ 2.8 IS Flickr
trackhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 9:40 PM   #53
csbalkwill

Quote:

Shit. Now I want one.
I didn't look at the receipt when I typed that, and just guessed at $3, it was indeed $2.49. I nuked it for 7 minutes whilst preheating the over and then chucked it in the over for another 5, turned out pretty good. I will have to try the bigger one at some point but with just myself and the missus it won't be eaten in one sitting.
csbalkwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 10:03 AM   #54
chopsya

+1 on the Expressi - they have limited edition on the red model
Old 11th May 2012, 10:34 PM   #55
gregpolk

Quote:
That might just be a batch issue. Being a chipaholic, I've noticed that even with Smiths, some batches are just light on flavour whilst others are heaped with it to the point of making you sick. I find the Blackstone chips to be generally very flavourful, sometimes even too much.
Could be. The flavour that I was disappointed in was the sour cream and sweet chilli. It had nothing going on compared to competitors. Was still nice for its price and I'd gladly buy them over comparatively priced smiths.

Cheap frozen stuff like their lasagne has made me a lot lazier with my cooking recently, though at the same time it's pretty much completely cut out fast food take out, so it's not all bad.
gregpolk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 3:13 AM   #56
ddk Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
Could be. The flavour that I was disappointed in was the sour cream and sweet chilli. It had nothing going on compared to competitors. Was still nice for its price and I'd gladly buy them over comparatively priced smiths.
Could also just be that particular flavour. My ALDI stopped stocking the chicken thins and only stocks the chicken crinkle cut. I used to love the thins 'cause they packed so much flavour but the crinkles have hardly any at all and taste like shit.

*shrug* They're not exactly consistent unfortunately.
Old 9th June 2012, 5:00 PM   #57
Reaper

$3 pizza. tried the meat one couple weeks ago, really quite a good amount of topping, not bad for a frozen. Plus it was only $3. Don't know how they do it.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 9:49 AM   #58
salmon

Expressi... thread closed hahaha
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 1:30 PM   #59
ddk Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Don't know if this one has been mentioned but even if it has, it deserves a second mention: Dairy Bliss Deli Yoghurts... OMFG, seriously delicious AND healthy!
Old 24th June 2012, 4:33 PM   #60
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

I'll be able to contribute when they finally get to SA : (