Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Old 22nd August 2017, 12:24 PM   #16
Zenskas Thread Starter

Thanks for your input

Makes a lot of sense too. As an English speaking country that is so far from most other English speaking countries, and without a great deal of locally hosted content, it does put us in a poor position as far as the need for lots of international transit.

Add to that our land being so vast and population spread across all corners, the local infrastructure costs per household/connection would have to be a lot higher than in many countries. Not ideal for anyone!
STFU: i7-2600S @ 4.2GHz | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB @ 1600MHz | EVGA GTX TITAN SC | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | SilverStone HE02 | Corsair AX860 | SilverStone TJ08-EW | BenQ XL2720Z | Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1 | IBM KB-9930 | Logitech G502 | XTracGear Ripper XXL

Last edited by Zenskas; 22nd August 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Zenskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 6:24 PM   #17
ir0nhide

Tasmania is the most expensive backhaul route in Australia due to distance and the duopoly between Telstra and Basslink. That, coupled with CVC charges, make me a little sceptical that a gigabit Internet NBN service (or any gigabit Internet service for that matter) can be offered at an affordable consumer price level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think you'll find the diggers would prefer he goes in marine uniform.
ir0nhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 8:48 AM   #18
Zenskas Thread Starter

I too am sceptical, it still remains to be seen exactly how they do it. Hopefully I can squeeze a little bit more info out of Launtel as there might be some magic happening somewhere for this to even be on the table this early in Tasmania.
STFU: i7-2600S @ 4.2GHz | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB @ 1600MHz | EVGA GTX TITAN SC | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | SilverStone HE02 | Corsair AX860 | SilverStone TJ08-EW | BenQ XL2720Z | Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1 | IBM KB-9930 | Logitech G502 | XTracGear Ripper XXL
Zenskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 9:17 AM   #19
ipv6ready

Sceptical, hmm it is almost a given.

Telstra down 20%, TPG 50% down and Vocus 70% haves all taken a flogging in ASX due to margin squeeze compared to the cost of reselling nbn service. (Of course Vocus have other special issues).

So when adsl is no longer available, NBN wholesale prices will head upwards to near doubling and retail price will triple.

NBN will double to break even and to repay the government - with all market projection based on sexy 100/40mb
RSP will triple to get back to the margins they had during adsl era
End users will buyer lower speed

Why because, end users won't pay $250 for 100/40mb, most will rationalise down to more affordable 25/5 -> NBN in their monopolistic ways will increase price again restarting the cycle by increasing CVC to make enough margin with the new 50/20mb paradigm.

For sale in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, 2 x LSi 9261 (one with BBU), 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD

Last edited by ipv6ready; 23rd August 2017 at 5:47 PM.
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 11:08 PM   #20
Treestump

I had really good experiences with Launtel so far. Customer service has been excellent and they're able to get connections up and running in minutes.

I was skeptical at first as to what their service/consistency would be, no major issues thus far. Have moved two of our offices to Launtel, one FTTP and the other FTTN, rock solid.

Have done a couple of trials with some larger clients and Gigabit, think private schools. Good feedback from the clients.

I do wonder what the take up of the Gigabit service will be, many customers of mine will not see benefit from a faster speed. Larger organisation and content creators for sure, though we don't tend to have much enterprise in Tassie.

PS - They're using Telstra backhaul off Island.
Treestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 8:21 AM   #21
n3m3515

Don't suppose Launtel would run and extra FTTH for me in Canberra!?
i7 5820K -:|:- MSI X99S Gaming 7 -:|:- XFX R9 295x2 -:|:- 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000Mhz -:|:- Thermaltake Level 10 GT case -:|:- Koolance liquid cooling -:|:- Triple 120Hz Acer 3D Monitors
n3m3515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 9:44 AM   #22
fad

I would like to be able to apply for FTTH. I don't with the CVC charges however most ISPs would be able to make money from 1Gig speeds.
fad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 10:23 AM   #23
caspian

sure they can. they just charge appropriately for the product based on the input costs, like every other business on earth does.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 3:18 PM   #24
ir0nhide

CVC charges being what they are, for reliable symmetric access beyond 100Mbps carriers are better off rolling their own as it's cheaper and also more supportable.
Quote:
Old 16th September 2017, 4:01 PM   #25
caspian

obviously suppliers should select whatever cost-of-goods source minimises their retail cost and allow them to compete the most effectively.

my point is that that saying ISPs can't make money is inaccurate. nobody is asking them to take a loss.

the issue is that Joe Public won't pay the price of a gigabit service, because it costs real money to make that happen, and they don't really have an actual need for it.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
Old 16th September 2017, 7:45 PM   #26
ir0nhide

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
obviously suppliers should select whatever cost-of-goods source minimises their retail cost and allow them to compete the most effectively.

my point is that that saying ISPs can't make money is inaccurate. nobody is asking them to take a loss.

the issue is that Joe Public won't pay the price of a gigabit service, because it costs real money to make that happen, and they don't really have an actual need for it.
I think what fad was alluding to was that ISPs can't make money from consumers on a 1Gbps NBN-based service because if it was offered at a sustainable price no one would buy it (and hence no money), rather than ISPs making a loss.

No arguments with the rest.
Quote:
Old 16th September 2017, 10:10 PM   #27
caspian

then fad needs to adjust his expectations of what a 1Gbps service is actually going to cost to deliver.

the reality is that consumers have no use for service that some ISPs run their entire networks off, and if they have any expectations of getting that for anything on the same planet as what their old ADSL service cost, they are delusional.

I know you know that perfectly well, not commenting at you.