Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Apple iOS (OS & Devices)

Notices

Old 12th September 2017, 4:25 PM   #16
hippyhippy

To those complaining about it being the same ... seriously... wtf do you expect? Some kind of holograhic star wars communicator?
hippyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 4:39 PM   #17
sickbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
To those complaining about it being the same ... seriously... wtf do you expect? Some kind of holograhic star wars communicator?
Yes of course I do..
Old 12th September 2017, 4:43 PM   #18
TomJ

Can't wait till all the GM's start handing back their iPhone 7 plus's for an iPhone 8 or X

'13 TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675R

Last edited by TomJ; 12th September 2017 at 4:46 PM.
TomJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 5:12 PM   #19
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

Quote:
lol, yes. People talk about Apple not being innovative and I questioned someone about this in a previous thread.....how much more innovative can they possibly be with phones? Most things are basically already done, it's a mobile office, gaming device, comms, internet, advanced features such as fingerprint id and facial recognition, etc etc. All they can really do is tweak around the edges and add small things as they go.
Old 12th September 2017, 6:15 PM   #20
xplod140

Quote:
I guess the complaint is that it's a minor bump in specs (probably mostly software) and they think it's worthy of an event and a price hike etc etc.
Old 12th September 2017, 6:39 PM   #21
connico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
lol, yes. People talk about Apple not being innovative and I questioned someone about this in a previous thread.....how much more innovative can they possibly be with phones? Most things are basically already done, it's a mobile office, gaming device, comms, internet, advanced features such as fingerprint id and facial recognition, etc etc. All they can really do is tweak around the edges and add small things as they go.
I want my phone to be my pc and laptop replacement...

I want a keyboard to beam out of the side to enable me to type a proper email and respond to forum posts.

I want my phone to charge via kenetic / light / body heat and fast charge in 10 minutes or less via super caps

I want my phone to recognise my speech without any issues and work with any application on the phone

I want an unbreakable phone thats water proof, scratch resistant and can run totally nude fuck cases and skins

I want heaps of stuff.. plenty of shit they can innovate

Last edited by connico; 12th September 2017 at 6:50 PM.
connico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 6:46 PM   #22
Matthew kane

To add to that list ^, I want a phone that can hold a battery charge regardless of light or heavy phone usage for days not hours.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 7:37 PM   #23
D'oh!

Depends on what you call innovation I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connico View Post
I want my phone to be my pc and laptop replacement...
Already is.

Quote:
I want a keyboard to beam out of the side to enable me to type a proper email and respond to forum posts.
Already can, just not integrated to phones yet. This would be a tweak, not really innovation.

Quote:
I want my phone to charge via kenetic / light / body heat and fast charge in 10 minutes or less via super caps
Already have wireless charging. This would be a tweak on that, a nice tweak, granted. But good luck with that.

Quote:
I want my phone to recognise my speech without any issues and work with any application on the phone
Already does have speech recognition. Applying to all apps would be a tweak.

Quote:
I want an unbreakable phone thats water proof, scratch resistant and can run totally nude fuck cases and skins
Unbreakable? Good luck. They are a lot stronger than they used to be, except when they used to be bricks I guess. Gorilla glass is pretty unscratchable. Water proof, well they already have that not for a short while.

Quote:
I want heaps of stuff.. plenty of shit they can innovate
For me personally nothing of what you have listed really qualifies as groundbreaking or innovative. Sorry, just my take!
Old 12th September 2017, 7:44 PM   #24
connico

Lol from your points my current phone is a tweak on my xpa touch pad or hp tablet phone lol...
Old 12th September 2017, 7:54 PM   #25
D'oh!

Quote:
Lol from your points my current phone is a tweak on my xpa touch pad or hp tablet phone lol...
Can you seriously tell me that next gen phones aren't basically tweaks of the previous gen? I mean comon. Just look at successive models in the iPhone, it's basically grab the last, increase memory and cpu/gpu speed, tweak the software so that looks shiny (bit new version number!), chuck in a better cam, maybe tweak the design so the antenna on the back isn't so obtrusive, etc etc etc....and give it a new label. Done! New iPhone. Where is the innovation. If you compare the first model with the last model then yes of course, that is innovation, but that comes within time, so when people go on about there suddenly is no innovation, well mostly you really don't get major steps or innovations from successive models but you get that sense of innovation over time when you compare phones from 10 years ago to now, for example.
Old 12th September 2017, 8:16 PM   #26
connico

Lol...so you agree with me... there has been no innovation in the last couple of updates to the iphone and my list stands

Thats why my requirements are not tweaks.. but innovation.

Laptop and pc replacement means i want a phone os and i want windows or osx on the one device. I want that device to be as powerful as my i7 and 1080ti.. i want the phone to dock wirelessly and give me a feature rich pc environment with out vdi..

Beam keyboard if its not in the phone its not innovation...

Wireless charging isnt kenetic, body heat charging or solar / light charging.. its innovation plain and simple. Super cap integration would be innovation.

Unbreakable whilst seemingly impossible is going to be innovation when it happens. Gorilla glass is practically unscratchable lol not good enough. To get unbreakbale new materials will need to be developed...

And speech recognition isnt what im asking for. Its my fault for saying recognise speech. I want true AI. I want to have a conversation woth my phone. I want to be able to ask it to do things without being limited to phrases and syntax... i want AI
Old 12th September 2017, 9:12 PM   #27
Hater

I hope there's an SE2.

There won't be an SE2.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 9:31 PM   #28
Rubberband

Quote:
Depends on what you call innovation I guess.
You can't really have this conversation without agreeing to use the word innovate correctly.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/innovate

Quote:
make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products
Therefore, any change to the iPhone is innovating, otherwise, they'd just keep selling the same product.

At some point, someone decided that 'innovate' was a benchmark to measure Apple but was using it as some sort of abstract of the true meaning of the work, then people who couldn't look up the meaning of a word all jumped on the band wagon. Now, if Apple doesn't have frickin lasers shooting out of their devices orifices they're not "innovating".

Edit: Personally, no shits really given, Apple are really taking the piss with their pricing, but the endless discussions about 'innovation' are tedious.

Last edited by Rubberband; 13th September 2017 at 7:30 AM.
Rubberband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 9:44 PM   #29
OCMunkee

Quote:
Good luck with that. They will be in line with the competition you would expect. What's your version of a non outrageous price?
Hey Chilled, good point. I'm mostly thinking from a 2 year contract perspective, as I don't intend to stray from Telstra for now. However, if it made financial sense to purchase outright and stay on a reasonable BYO plan then I'd go that path.

My version of a not-outrageous price is being able to pay ~$100/month including decent data (ca. 10GB?) and not thinking about calls/messages. If it were outright, then I'd probably be paying ~$50pm for the plan without it.
OCMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 11:42 PM   #30
slashrox

What time is the event? Also where can I watch it?
slashrox is offline   Reply With Quote