Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Apple iOS (OS & Devices)

Notices

Old 13th September 2017, 10:16 AM   #61
waltermitty

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/why-...ce-79c07772a28

lol
waltermitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 10:19 AM   #62
Alfonzo

I think this announcement has been the biggest non-announcement so far. There's been videos on YouTube for at least the past month with realistic dummy phones that they've been doing unboxings and reviews of.

I think the most interesting thing I've seen on the website so far has been the new watch has cellular capabilities independent of the phone. Watching the keynote now, I'm pretty curious about what that means.

As for my phone... meh, I'm still pretty happy with the 7 right now.

edit: ugh, Tim Cook is such a bore to listen to.
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 10:45 AM   #63
2SHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
edit: ugh, Tim Cook is such a bore to listen to.
This is the biggest problem facing Apple. Since Steve Jobs is no logner with us, he still has not been replaced at Apple. While Tim Cook is great at managing production line and sales numbers, He is not a visionary like Steve Jobs was.
Steam ID: 2SHY_N8 / Origin: N8HIAN/Rockstar Social Club: 2shy_n8
OCAU Trades
Computer Sepcifications
2SHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 10:52 AM   #64
ipv6ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SHY View Post
This is the biggest problem facing Apple. Since Steve Jobs is no logner with us, he still has not been replaced at Apple. While Tim Cook is great at managing production line and sales numbers, He is not a visionary like Steve Jobs was.
Don't think Steve Jobs could have made this Xphone more interesting though?

What reason would someone with a ip6 upgrade?

I remember the days I wanted to upgrade from 3gs to 4s, 5 to 6 etc etc that i made up reasons to upgrade lol �� but now I don't think there is anything compelling and I'm on my fourth iPhone.

For sale in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, 2 x LSi 9261 (one with BBU), 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 11:48 AM   #65
leck

i've just had a quick 2 minute look at the 8

minor features
-faster processor
-better screen
-better camera
-new ios

major features
-wireless charging
-water/dust proof
-emoji (i kid i kid)

I don't get the hate from you guys. It's basically the same as every iphone release I can remember. A bunch of minor incremental improvements with a few major features and a 'new' model. It's like you're expecting them to unveil a personal teleporter or something.

The X looks pretty cool. Will be interesting to see how the usability stacks up with the removal of the home button :O
Old 13th September 2017, 11:53 AM   #66
wolfie81

I suspect a lot of it is to do with price. If it was better priced, the hate wouldn't be as severe. Me personally, I would like the X but have no intention of paying that price. I will hold onto my current phone for a year longer.
wolfie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 11:56 AM   #67
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie81 View Post
I suspect a lot of it is to do with price. If it was better priced, the hate wouldn't be as severe. Me personally, I would like the X but have no intention of paying that price. I will hold onto my current phone for a year longer.
Don't like the price, or can't afford it then don't buy the damned thing.

There's a ton of people quite happy to pay the price and that's not Apple's fault.

They don't owe anyone an affordable phone. That's not what Apple is or ever has been.
holdennutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 12:21 PM   #68
mmBax

Iíd happily own the X.

Iíve got a 6 now, and to me itís a pretty good phone. But an upgrade to wireless charging, water resistance, better camera, face recognition, that all appeals to me along with the other improvements.

The price however, does not, and more than likely will not be something I can justify. Iím really going to have to rethink my phone game again, more than likely Iíll invest in a second hand 7 or maybe even get an 8 if I can justify the expense (I really think the 8 is a waste of time and a bs release, but if the price is right)

Will have to wait and see what the future brings really. At this stage I still canít see myself going back to Android, not tied to iOS in any way, but I DO NOT want to touch Samsung, and nothing else really jumps out for me.
mmBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 12:23 PM   #69
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmBax View Post
Will have to wait and see what the future brings really. At this stage I still can’t see myself going back to Android, not tied to iOS in any way, but I DO NOT want to touch Samsung, and nothing else really jumps out for me.
this release makes those new Nokia's so much more appealing now.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:29 PM   #70
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

With the disproportional increase in pricing you will simply see less people buying outright, more people on contracts/plans and less people turning over their phone at every yearly release.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:31 PM   #71
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
With the disproportional increase in pricing you will simply see less people buying outright, more people on contracts/plans and less people turning over their phone at every yearly release.
Maybe, contracts are pretty awful atm. It makes you wonder what the spread is and how many are outright and are contracts.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:32 PM   #72
Tronador

I am a bit pissed that the choices are either 64gb or 256.

I have a 128 iPhone 6 at the moment that is over due for a replacement. I don't use all the storage on that but I use more than 64....
Just comes across like a money grab.
Tronador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 12:38 PM   #73
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Maybe, contracts are pretty awful atm. It makes you wonder what the spread is and how many are outright and are contracts.
I don't see them as awful, a lot are going unlimited these days, so differentiating factor then becomes price, gig quota and contract length. Download quotas are a bit lacking but are getting better.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:49 PM   #74
ipv6ready

Can't wait for unlimited downloads on mobile
Than I'll get rid of my home connection full stop.

When one of operators Telstra, TPG, Vodafone or Optus come out with 500gb plans. I'll ditch nbn save $90 and get a $5 shared sim etc and have all my home stuff connect by 4g.

For sale in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, 2 x LSi 9261 (one with BBU), 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 12:50 PM   #75
Matthew kane

It's actually more worth it getting a renewal on your phone contract and getting the new iphones on a new contract than buying outright, which imho is fucking stupid.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote