Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26th July 2013, 8:24 AM   #1501
Shags
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,649
Default

I am so sad, surrounded by fools being paid the same as myself, i recieved an after hours call last night from an 'engineer' who could not figure out why he couldn't ping a host he added to the network.

Took me two seconds to find the problem.

Local subnet 10.0.0.0 /27 , He adds a host on 10.0.0.220 and wonders why it can't ping the rest of the hosts, tells me the switch must be faulty or have cisco proprietary security options enabled because he's tried everything else.


This from a guy who's paid 80k base
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetron View Post
Also his SMS speak was terrible and hard guy to understand that you need the internet to translate!
Shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 8:53 AM   #1502
Foliage
Member
 
Foliage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sleepwithyourdadelaide
Posts: 31,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shags View Post
I am so sad, surrounded by fools being paid the same as myself, i recieved an after hours call last night from an 'engineer' who could not figure out why he couldn't ping a host he added to the network.

Took me two seconds to find the problem.

Local subnet 10.0.0.0 /27 , He adds a host on 10.0.0.220 and wonders why it can't ping the rest of the hosts, tells me the switch must be faulty or have cisco proprietary security options enabled because he's tried everything else.


This from a guy who's paid 80k base
Network engineer who doesn't understand subnets? That is even taught at uni in comp sci and in the first half of CCNA. I would hope even non network engineers know that.

Was it at least an oversight and he slapped his forehead when you told him?
__________________
You know, if you watch Titanic backwards, it's actually a heart warming tale of a ship that jumps out of the water and saves lots of drowning people.
Foliage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 8:57 AM   #1503
millsy_c
Member
 
millsy_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 11,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
Network engineer who doesn't understand subnets? That is even taught at uni in comp sci and in the first half of CCNA. I would hope even non network engineers know that.

Was it at least an oversight and he slapped his forehead when you told him?
My inner optimist hopes he just hadn't had his daily coffee, my inner realist is shaking his head big time and wondering why I'm paid so little .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
You are talking like an expert beginner. Talk less and listen more.
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 9:19 AM   #1504
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool
 
elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 29,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
Network engineer who doesn't understand subnets? That is even taught at uni in comp sci and in the first half of CCNA. I would hope even non network engineers know that.

Was it at least an oversight and he slapped his forehead when you told him?
Once again, your mind would be blown if you saw just how many people have no clue, and have jobs where these skills should be mandatory.

Yes, the industry is really that fucked up. It's frightening.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 9:22 AM   #1505
millsy_c
Member
 
millsy_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 11,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Once again, your mind would be blown if you saw just how many people have no clue, and have jobs where these skills should be mandatory.

Yes, the industry is really that fucked up. It's frightening.
Heh I was at a place desigining their new DR for them and I was doing a final check of everything in place before we installed it.

Okay so where's the core switch and the dmz switch?

Oh... forgot about those...

>.> Are you kidding me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
You are talking like an expert beginner. Talk less and listen more.
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 9:33 AM   #1506
Shags
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
Network engineer who doesn't understand subnets? That is even taught at uni in comp sci and in the first half of CCNA. I would hope even non network engineers know that.

Was it at least an oversight and he slapped his forehead when you told him?
Not network engineer, his role is to manage 13 sites, ~40 servers, ~400 workstations.

The title given to him was IT engineer, but it doesn't matter, it's basic subnetting, it should be known at his level, fuck, it should be the first thing level 1 helpdesk is taught. He's been in the industry for 10 years.

And no, when i told him, i got "ohh ok, so how do we fix that" , I should be paid more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetron View Post
Also his SMS speak was terrible and hard guy to understand that you need the internet to translate!
Shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 9:41 AM   #1507
damn duck
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: duck pond
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shags View Post
Not network engineer, his role is to manage 13 sites, ~40 servers, ~400 workstations.

The title given to him was IT engineer, but it doesn't matter, it's basic subnetting, it should be known at his level, fuck, it should be the first thing level 1 helpdesk is taught. He's been in the industry for 10 years.

And no, when i told him, i got "ohh ok, so how do we fix that" , I should be paid more.
I've been in IT for over 5 years. I leave subnetting to people I contract in.
damn duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 9:45 AM   #1508
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool
 
elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 29,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
I've been in IT for over 5 years. I leave subnetting to people I contract in.
The quality of your posts elsewhere in this forum give a pretty good indication as to the type of employee you'd be. No doubt there's a lot of things you leave to others in your job.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 10:03 AM   #1509
mooboyj
Member
 
mooboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
The quality of your posts elsewhere in this forum give a pretty good indication as to the type of employee you'd be. No doubt there's a lot of things you leave to others in your job.
Management material right there
__________________
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation" Adolf Hitler Stephen Conroy
mooboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 10:09 AM   #1510
FiShy
Member
 
FiShy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,682
Default

I always assume that server people (expecially wintel ones) think we are pre CIDR and all gateways are .1 and all nets are 255.255.255.0
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
With all this Man Dating around... you'd think The Liberals were pro gay-marriage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
hotsexyseamen.com
FiShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 12:57 PM   #1511
The_Derro
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 547
Default

Every time I try to hire people for my team I remember this thread.

So many people, who have every manner of certification and titles, but who cannot explain basic concepts like ARP.

My standard interview question weeds out so many people.

2 switches, each with say 6 ports on each. half the ports in VLAN10, half the ports in VLAN20

The switches are connected via a link in mode access.. Switch1 is access VLAN 10, the Switch2 is VLAN 20.

The question is simple.. If a PC on Switch 1, VLAN10, sends out a Broadcast, which PC's will receive it.

MOST people recognise that you shouldn't be connecting the switches together with an Access Port. But very few can actually explain what will happen, and WHY it's happening.

I've had people tell me that all PC's on both VLAN's will receive the broadcast.. those interviews usually don't last long.

I find that most people are just configuration monkeys. They know how to read documentation and Google for appropriate config, but very few actually understand what they're doing. When faced with a scenario that is incorrect/broken, they can't actually explain why... and they usually have a title like "Senior Network Administrator" or similar.
The_Derro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 1:24 PM   #1512
damn duck
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: duck pond
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
The quality of your posts elsewhere in this forum give a pretty good indication as to the type of employee you'd be. No doubt there's a lot of things you leave to others in your job.
Nailed it. Why learn when you can outsource and delegate?
damn duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 1:29 PM   #1513
NSanity
Member
 
NSanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Nailed it. Why learn when you can outsource and delegate?
so how exactly, have you worked in IT for 5 years...
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 1:32 PM   #1514
damn duck
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: duck pond
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
so how exactly, have you worked in IT for 5 years...
Talk shit and can google.
damn duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 1:38 PM   #1515
NSanity
Member
 
NSanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Talk shit and can google.
right, so you haven't. cool.
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 5:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!