Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Old 16th October 2008, 12:37 PM   #751
s3kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
A client of mine is a large graphic design firm. Very swanky office, black carpets, ultra-expensive imported Italian coffee machines, white furniture to match the all-Apple hardware, etc, etc.

Every day a masseuse comes in at lunchtime, and gives back massages to 3 staff. You put your name on the list, and when you've had yours, go back to the bottom of the list until your next turn.

Am I jealous? Shit yes.
Sounds like the sort of thing google do in their offices.

I'd take the beer wench. I hate massages.
48 Successful Trades: bAbY_RoG3R, red_marine, NuMatthu, z3[n], jtsmorris, ShaneBrooks, JeffK, DigiTal, orbisfactor, Rickster x3, krayzia2, other ed, foreva, Lowy, siamak, BananaMan, karsa, FoxMan, Howard, MiniDisc, jboles, jimboh2k, Datsun1600, neilz, gmturner, T-Bones, NforSa, phat_s14, Drewcarey, inspectr, kathshan x3, MultiSlayer, tuapui, sizzaone, j00cy, evo800v, Skidoo, Goth, zha50, wast3gat3, Herman, Zenskas, mookie3three, Psycronic, 180degrees, Garido
s3kemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:40 PM   #752
QuakeDude
ooooh weeee ooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3kemo View Post
Sounds like the sort of thing google do in their offices.

I'd take the beer wench. I hate massages.
HP used to do the same thing until they bought Compaq and fucked everything up. We used to get fresh fruit every day, which was much better than having some strange guy rub you up and down
QuakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 1:25 PM   #753
PsyKo-Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER View Post
great idea. i will get Hard Gay on the work massages for you.

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?swf...s=1&fs=1&hl=en
I'm not even going to click that lnk...

I reckon we form a union, First order of business will be the employment of beer wenches. Second catered lunches...
PsyKo-Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 1:48 PM   #754
GreyWolfe01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyKo-Billy View Post

I reckon we form a union, First order of business will be the employment of beer wenches. Second catered lunches...
I'd rather catered wenches
Mi Goreng Noodle Club member #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman
Meh, she couldn't really turn me on either, might have had something to do with her adverse fear of penises - except when they're in her vagina.
GreyWolfe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 1:52 PM   #755
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
I'd rather catered wenches
^^^
there's our union rep right there.
looktall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 3:10 PM   #756
PsyKo-Billy

I second that motion.
PsyKo-Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 6:27 PM   #757
stevo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Spreadsheets are the devil's work.

Wikis, simple databases, project planning software - all a million times better. Centrally located (not multiple out of date copies everywhere), multi-user, and instant report generation as needed.

Spreadsheets being used as micro-databases must die!
While I tend to agree with you, especially for medium to large business’s.
Whether that would be worthwhile really depends on how big the organisation is.

For small business’s, they probably wont be able to justify the cost, or what it will take in resources to run or maintain something like what you are suggesting.

Quote:
Likewise.... I can live without knowing whats on that site!

"Education is that which remains, once one has forgotten everything they learned in school."
stevo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 7:20 PM   #758
chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4 View Post
While I tend to agree with you, especially for medium to large business’s.
For small business’s, they probably wont be able to justify the cost, or what it will take in resources to run or maintain something like what you are suggesting.
Free is too expensive? You can easily get desktop project managment SW for little or no cost, and what's currently available is perfectly adequate for managing a small team. It's just lunacy trying to manage anything even vaguely complex with Excel.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 7:51 PM   #759
stevo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Free is too expensive? You can easily get desktop project managment SW for little or no cost, and what's currently available is perfectly adequate for managing a small team. It's just lunacy trying to manage anything even vaguely complex with Excel.
Who says a task list needed to be over complicated.

The sw might be free but, but getting something extensive like project management sw up and running,
is going to require more time being spent on maintaining such, tying up ppls time, for little benefit for the situation that was being discussed.

What was being talked about was more along the lines of a task list with a bit more detail. Not planning out projects with time lines.

I've had experience with manufacturing organisations, who opted to go with project management sw.
End up scrapping it, as the sw was driving what was being done in processes, making them inefficent.

"Education is that which remains, once one has forgotten everything they learned in school."

Last edited by stevo4; 17th October 2008 at 8:42 AM.
stevo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 11:28 PM   #760
ewok85

Quote:

Its only hard gay, its pretty funny too (and safe for work... just a little loud is all)
Old 17th October 2008, 9:45 AM   #761
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4 View Post
The sw might be free but, but getting something extensive like project management sw up and running,
is going to require more time being spent on maintaining such, tying up ppls time, for little benefit for the situation that was being discussed.
You are right, it does depend on the business. I've brought project management and simple databases into small businesses, and thus far it's about a 50/50 pass/fail rate, depending entirely on the willingness to accept new things of the business owners.

The big mistake a lot of small businesses make also is going to a mob who do enterprise database architecting, and then asking them for a small company database. They get a 6-figure quote back, and shit themselves.

I've built a few small ones for my usual hourly rate which can be knocked up to the point of functional use within a few hours. I also generally use LAMP to do these things too, which means the client has the code, the power, and the ability to modify things at a later date without a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok85 View Post
Its only hard gay, its pretty funny too (and safe for work... just a little loud is all)
Hard Gay is a champion. The guy cracks me up.

<facepalm> "Say say say!" </facepalm>
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 12:08 PM   #762
lavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin View Post
Interestingly enough I am pondering a pre-sales/soloution architect role atm.. moves me partially to the dark side.

Dunno if I want it... but at the same time you get to spec some pretty serious OSS stuff
I was so close then din't turn up for the interview.....just can't see myself ripping ppl off no matter how much money i make...

also there is no challenge for me doing pre sales, selling something is not a challenge in my book

amazing how this thread has turned out One particular person i work with simply stated "end users expect everything with IT/Computers to be like a hair dryer with just button for ON/OFF"
Old 17th October 2008, 12:15 PM   #763
stalin
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I was so close then din't turn up for the interview.....just can't see myself ripping ppl off no matter how much money i make...

also there is no challenge for me doing pre sales, selling something is not a challenge in my book

amazing how this thread has turned out One particular person i work with simply stated "end users expect everything with IT/Computers to be like a hair dryer with just button for ON/OFF"
Yeah needless to say, I am not doing that job got better plans

gonna make hair driers with 2 buttons, and lable them as advanced hair driers, and stick a 0 on the end of the price.

even got my slogan worked out. Advanced Hair Dryers, yeah yeah.
stalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 12:28 PM   #764
lavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin View Post
Yeah needless to say, I am not doing that job got better plans

gonna make hair driers with 2 buttons, and lable them as advanced hair driers, and stick a 0 on the end of the price.

even got my slogan worked out. Advanced Hair Dryers, yeah yeah.
its cheaper to hire a little indian to dry towel your head dude
Old 17th October 2008, 3:02 PM   #765
Luke212

noone will buy a two button hair dryer. a buttonless IR sensor hair dryer. now thats marketable.
Luke212 is offline   Reply With Quote