Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Portable & Small Form Factor

Notices

Old 11th September 2017, 5:51 PM   #1996
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazor View Post
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Asus has FINALLY confirmed Strix X370-i Gaming and Strix B350-i Gaming AM4 ITX motherboards for October.

No press release or photos, but a number of european tech sites are reporting after Asus confirmed.
Colour me sold

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 5:52 PM   #1997
Tazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Colour me sold

Yeah if they essentially glue an am4 socket to the board I have (the Z270I Strix board) I am selling my intel board and chip and getting a 1700 with the B350 strix board
My Rig i3 7350K with Cryorig C7 (for now) | Asus Z270i Strix | XFX Vega 64 | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz | 240Gb SSD | Silverstone 700W Platinum SFX-L | Silverstone ML07 (Have ordered Phanteks Shift) | AOC AGON AG241QX
Tazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 6:56 PM   #1998
tired

My Mini ITX system is the one I use most of the time (and have for a while tbh). I call it my Media PC but its used for most of what I do really. Its connected to a Sony Bravia LCD tv via HDMI. I use a wireless Logitech keyboard with a touchpad from the couch. The case sits inside of the tv cabinet in the lounge room.

I used to have a POS AC Ryan media player that I learned (quickly) to loathe with a passion; when I first went ITX to replace it....IT WAS LOVE!

I recently replaced the motherboard/cpu/ram, after the mb crapped itself at age 5 years (Asus P8H77-I + Intel G2020 + 4gb Corsair XMS).

Specs:

GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Processor with Wraith Stealth
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 (2x8GB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 Superclocked 2GB
Intel 535 Series 120gb SSD
Western Digital WD Black 4TB
Corsair SF450 SFX PSU
Silvestone Sugo SG06 Case + Noctua NF-P12 Case Fan
Logitech K400r Keyboard

The case has Acoustifeet on it, as the WD Black and the hard standard case feet didn't get along too well
Old 14th September 2017, 9:46 PM   #1999
Ratzz

Shopping

The beginnings of my new low profile vesa style case. Its not actually a Vesa mount, as the 32" 1080P TV I am hanging it off doesn't have a Vesa mount, but I'll make the case Vesa mountable and work out some kind of adapter for the TV itself (given the TV is likely to be upgraded long before the computer is).

Black 3mm acrylic sheet, with aluminium right angles for rigidity.
The wire basket is raw material for the vented areas of the case.

Bits n pieces to begin..

It will be a Ryzen 1700, on a Giga AM4 ITX board, with 32GB midrange ram and a H60 cooler. It will have a low end aircooled GPU, as graphics are not my priority with this rig, but it will probably also have the ability to take a full sized top end card if I change my mind, via a 16x ribbon riser.

I've chosen the Giga because its the cheapest of the 3 available to me, and it has the best memory support. The few advantages of the X370 chipset appear to be an extra set of sata ports and the ability to run 2 GPUS.. which is kinda useless on an ITX board anyway. I only need two sata ports, I have no plans for extreme overclocking, so there is no point in paying extra for the X370 Asrock IMO. If any of them had included an upper M.2 port rather than one on the rear as all 3 do, I would have chosen it just for that.

I'll be buying the mobo last anyway, as I've heard there is a Strix coming, so if that arrives before the rest is finished, I'll grab one of those instead. Hopefully it might have a top mounted M.2, and even if it doesnt, I'd rather have a Strix

I have an intel ITX board I can use as a template in the meantime.

PSU will be a custom built G-Unique 400W pico style PSU, with a 400W (500W+ peak) power brick.

It will have 2x4 PSU, 2x(1x SATA), 2x 6+2 GPU, and a single molex, all 350mm long braided cables. The 24pin socket is of course where the PSU plugs into, so no need for a 24pin cable. I've put the SATA on separate cables to allow the drives to be in different positions if needed.

It works out at about AU$200 shipped, and will arrive in about 3 weeks.

I'll be doing a thread on this build. Basically the plan is to have a powerful productivity rig, reliable and silent, as invisible yet easy to access as possible. The outer edges and most of the mobo side of the case will be acrylic, most of the back (relative to the TV) will be steel mesh, and some of the back of the motherboard, closest to the TV, may be actively cooled with a slim fan and more mesh.. none of the current crop of boards have top mounted M.2 slots, so this will be for the M.2's benefit mostly. I'll hold off on this decision in the hope of the aforementioned Strix hitting the shelves, but if the rest is ready to go and I still dont see a Strix, I'll just grab the Giga board.

I won't be able to stop myself from overclocking it but I am going to find a nice gentle sweetspot and just stay there. I'm planning on 32GB ram @ 3000MHz, Ryzen being known for not being great with ram, I dont see the point in paying for super fast stuff I cant use.

Last edited by Ratzz; 15th September 2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 14th September 2017, 10:05 PM   #2000
iodine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Shopping
Really interested to see this develop.

Member of: MacTalk (purana), Whirlpool (iodine)
Successful trades: many....
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 12:38 PM   #2001
Tazor

For anyone wondering where the mention of the Strix AM4 boards came from, here's an article from last week.

http://gr.pcmag.com/asus/28141/news/...d-apo-ten-asus

Translated it is pretty readable. There are several like it, all out of Europe.
October is good as this gives me time to get my Shift all set up and ready for AM4+watercooling.
My Rig i3 7350K with Cryorig C7 (for now) | Asus Z270i Strix | XFX Vega 64 | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz | 240Gb SSD | Silverstone 700W Platinum SFX-L | Silverstone ML07 (Have ordered Phanteks Shift) | AOC AGON AG241QX
Old 15th September 2017, 3:03 PM   #2002
Tazor

Anyone else like me getting a Phanteks Evolv Shift?
Pre-ordered mine weeks ago but haven't heard a whole lot of noise despite stellar reviews.

Spose that's probably cos no-one has them yet..
Old 15th September 2017, 3:48 PM   #2003
Shaetano

Quote:
For anyone wondering where the mention of the Strix AM4 boards came from, here's an article from last week.

http://gr.pcmag.com/asus/28141/news/...d-apo-ten-asus

Translated it is pretty readable. There are several like it, all out of Europe.
October is good as this gives me time to get my Shift all set up and ready for AM4+watercooling.
Bit the bullet and got a Asrock Gaming-itx, couldn't wait any longer for other suppliers!
Old 15th September 2017, 3:56 PM   #2004
kronikabis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaetano View Post
Bit the bullet and got a Asrock Gaming-itx, couldn't wait any longer for other suppliers!
i got the gigabyte... seems okay so far https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...WIFI-rev-10#sp

very messy build so far though - waiting on a power supply that fits SFF case URGH!
Old 15th September 2017, 4:23 PM   #2005
Tazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronikabis View Post
i got the gigabyte... seems okay so far https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...WIFI-rev-10#sp

very messy build so far though - waiting on a power supply that fits SFF case URGH!
I'm put off by the set color schemes and port layouts of current AM4 ITX's. The Gigabyte board has a centrally mounted 8 pin connector, why?!

Can't wait for Asus to release the strix boards so I can have a nice, clean monotone build.
Old 15th September 2017, 5:03 PM   #2006
kronikabis

Quote:
I'm put off by the set color schemes and port layouts of current AM4 ITX's. The Gigabyte board has a centrally mounted 8 pin connector, why?!

Can't wait for Asus to release the strix boards so I can have a nice, clean monotone build.
the 8-pin connector is a pain in the ass. understandably it is exactly where a rear fan would be placed!

port placement is all in the top left quadrant for front panel etc which is a pain for most cases too.
Most look to be around the same

still i needed a sff board so i picked it even with it's flaws. i assume it can only get better
Old 15th September 2017, 6:02 PM   #2007
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodine View Post
Really interested to see this develop.
Further to, and last in this thread about my new rig until its finished (I'll do a proper build thread instead of crapping in this one), I thought there might be some interest in here about the G-Unique PSU, so I thought I'd throw this in here too .

Quote:
TYPE C,code name Arch Deamon,$44.99,suitable for 120watts-500watts
PCB height 27mm
Main componets introduce:21 pcs KEMET T520 polymer tantalum Capacitors,2 pcs WE 1090 Inductors ,TI NexFet powerblock,2 toshiba P-mos for 12V loadswitch(4mR Rdson) ,1 infineon mos for 5V load switch;

Quote:
Arch Deamon can be upgraded ($29.99)to limited edition by add an additional TaCap armor with 28 KEMET T520 polymer tantalum Capacitors,which make total 49 pcs T520 polymer tantalum !

Mine has been ordered with all 350mm cables, there will be ample room under the mobo to hide any extra length, and even unused PCIE connectors, due to my intention of actively cooling the rear of the mobo.

You can choose specific cable lengths for each specific connector, with your choice of what connectors you need, and have absolutely no excess cabling if you know exactly what you want.

Mine will have 1x molex, 2x sata (each on its own cable), 2x (6+2)PCIE, and 1x (4+4) PSU cable. I've gone with the 350mm length because although I am sure they will all be too long, I don't have anything finalised and cable lengths are an unknown for me as yet. Since I'll have plenty of space to hide cable, it wont be an issue for me though.

He has less powerful versions, but the total delivered cost of this 'limited edition' 400W version, with custom braided cables and connectors, totals USD 179.00, so I figured why not?

Although I don't plan to add a powerful GPU at this point, I will be ensuring there is room in the case for that option in the future if I want, and of course I'd need the extra power, and the PCIE cables, if I ever went down that road.

There will in fact be provision to install any card under 340mm or so, and even the ability to use an AIO, specifically the Giga Aorus Waterforce 1080Ti (my dream card of the moment). That's the reason for the molex, its to feed the AIO cpu cooler, and will have a splitter added if an AIO GPU ever gets installed.

Remember I am aiming for low profile, basically so the PC doesn't make the monitor 3 feet thick, or overbalances. I also wanted to remove the additional size and weight of a PSU, hence the G-Unique solution. This means that AIO rads, and any GPU, will be mounted flat.. the GPU will be using a x16/x16 Thermaltake 300mm riser cable I have stashed in the shed somewhere. I'll have provision for 2x 120mm AIO rads, one each for CPU and GPU, side by side.

And it will all run from this G-Unique setup (with my modified choice of cables, my sata will be on separate cables). Note that one of the PCIE sets is modular !!

Quote:
Arch Deamon limited edition (No2)+ultimate version Modded brick ,dual pci-e 6+2pin VGA cable witn one changable,this set can run i7+1080ti or titan pascal:

Current back of the napkin plans will have it (as oriented mounted on the monitor) 450mm wide, 350mm high, and 70mm deep, making it about 11 litres in volume, but capable of supporting a full sized air cooled or AIO cooled GPU and an AIO cooled CPU. Aircooling the CPU will not really be an option, max cooler height will be less than 50mm.

There will be a 20mm gap between the case and the actual back of the TV, to allow some creative mounting and airflow for the rear mobo fan and one or two AIO's, so its basically going to protrude about 90mm from the back of the TV, once mounted.

It will be mounted quite low, to lower the centre of gravity, and will have remote power switch , power and hdd activity lights, and a powered USB 3.0 Hub, all on the base of the monitor. The size of the case and the gap are determined by the unvented section and shape of the rear of my TV, but will be capable of Vesa mounting, with the gap provided, onto any large TV or monitor with a Vesa mount.

If you are interested in these awesome PSU's, then you'll need to join the forum at SFF https://smallformfactor.net/forum/register/ and PM him stating what you need. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/th...ct-order.1983/

His prices are USD and the product is shipped from China by some magic process whereby it only takes 3-4 days to ship . There is also a 2 week production lead time though, and he promises me I should expect to receive it in about 3 weeks. That will be my deadline to have this rig finished and mounted

I won't crap in this thread any more, it's time to start a build thread. I'll edit a link to the thread into the bottom of this post when I have the thread going.

Last edited by Ratzz; 15th September 2017 at 6:15 PM.
Old 15th September 2017, 6:22 PM   #2008
terrastrife

Quote:
Anyone else like me getting a Phanteks Evolv Shift?
Pre-ordered mine weeks ago but haven't heard a whole lot of noise despite stellar reviews.

Spose that's probably cos no-one has them yet..
It looks horrible, large video cards block off both 120mm rad mounts (too long blocks the bottom one and too tall blocks the side one), the ribbon cable is too short to show off your GPU fan side facing the glass if it's not a FE, etc etc.

I installed 10TB today, I really need to get a couple of 40mm fans to get some extra airflow in there
Decided to not shuck the drives, even though that would've saved me some space, as running extra SATA data nd power would've been super super annoying (gotta disassemble the whole system).
AIO tubes are at their max rotation and can't move any more, lots of tight spots, they're even hard pressed on the SSDs in the front.
Drives do hit 50-55C depending on if I'm stressing the GPU or not, but still under their 60C threshold. Should be cooler with a GTX 1080 instead of the R9 Nano. A bit of airflow should bring it down.

My other option is to sacrifice CPU cooling and mount the HDDs on the "outside" of the PSU so the drives are next to the vented side panel.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I ended up moving them

Click to view full size!

Last edited by terrastrife; 16th September 2017 at 10:43 PM.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #2009
aussie-revhead

Guys, I'm looking for a shorty GPU for an SG13 build, I have a water block for a Nano but I was wondering if I should be hunting for something else? A Fury-x is pretty short with a full block too right? Plus there are the nvidia options - 1060's, zotac shorties come in 1070, 1080 and 1080Ti ....

Would a Nano or Fury-X run hotter than a 1080 or thereabouts?

Bench 1- Asus Rampage 5 Extreme - Intel 5960x - 32gb of 3200c16 DDR4- 1x Galax GTX1080 Ti HOF - Samsung 960 Evo + Intel 600P m.2 512GB - Enermax Revo1250 - water cooled tech bench - QNIX 2560x1440 screen @ 100Hz - Aten 120Hz KVM
Netbox - Dell 990 SFF - 2500 - 16GB ram - gtx750Ti - 240GB SSD - 2TB green
Current vehicles- Black 2007 ZX14 - VE V8 Calais (wifes car) - VN SS (for sale)
aussie-revhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:05 PM   #2010
nCrypt

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-786-_-Product

anyone else?

Want one now.