Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Old 14th September 2017, 7:28 PM   #1336
DonutKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
a.) Your address is at Service Class 10, it means that due to unusual aspects (e.g. technology, infrastructure etc) the premise is not yet capable with NBN even the general area is NBN serviceable
This is what happened to me, 6 months on and nothing has changed. I'm hoping I don't get kicked off my ADSL and on to wireless
Old 14th September 2017, 11:06 PM   #1337
TRG.dOinK

Why doesn't NBN Co simply just go from the first house and through the roof, and onto the second house, like the current phone line, but just use cable instead?

Surely that is much quicker and easier for difficult situations where no conduit is installed into MDUs (though they should have conduits to begin with).

Irony is FTTC would have had no issues, meh.
TRG.dOinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 8:02 AM   #1338
caspian

that would require FTTC to have been invented yet.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 9:28 AM   #1339
rogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
a or b is the correct answer here.

c is close enough to impossible that it's not worth the consideration. you'd have a better chance of being killed by lightning. while scuba diving.

d I have no idea what that even means.
I have previously been told:

"as expected, it's a records issue. the records don't show intact cable paths to your address, probably because there was some weird entry in Telstra's records for your line and thus they failed the import process. your ISP needs to raise it with NBN as an incorrect service class query, it would help if they could demonstrate you have an existing service running to the house (phone, DSL etc)."

This is why it is so frustrating dealing with both Telstra and NBN, I believe the reasons they have given proves that nobody is taking this issue seriously, just plucking excuses from the script. I have asked Telstra to raise an incorrect service class query, but it seems they have ignored this.

Telstra also agreed to get a technician to trace my line and update records but this also did not get done.

I am really at a loss as to how to progress this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
This is what happened to me, 6 months on and nothing has changed. I'm hoping I don't get kicked off my ADSL and on to wireless
The change to wireless for me is an improvement on my adsl experience, but can understand the reluctance if your adsl is good.
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 12:07 PM   #1340
shmity

Just had our third HFC visit at work:
First was: We aren't authorised to do this work
Second was: Turns out we are authorised to do this work, theres the pit, theres your string line, its wet though so im not going to do the work
Third was: Theres a blockage under the road, theyre going to have to come and upgrade that pit and bore under the road

Apart from the first visit, just sounds like a pain in the ass for the contractors, although miscommunication for the first one is probably also the case.
shmity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 3:31 PM   #1341
[SweN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG.dOinK View Post
Why doesn't NBN Co simply just go from the first house and through the roof, and onto the second house, like the current phone line, but just use cable instead?

Surely that is much quicker and easier for difficult situations where no conduit is installed into MDUs (though they should have conduits to begin with).

Irony is FTTC would have had no issues, meh.
that would either be sharing a connection, which i think there is still rules against? or need new tech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmity View Post
Just had our third HFC visit at work:
First was: We aren't authorised to do this work
Second was: Turns out we are authorised to do this work, theres the pit, theres your string line, its wet though so im not going to do the work
Third was: Theres a blockage under the road, theyre going to have to come and upgrade that pit and bore under the road

Apart from the first visit, just sounds like a pain in the ass for the contractors, although miscommunication for the first one is probably also the case.
Fourth: Oh it was just foam and paper to seal the conduit
Fifth: Um, we'll have to snake a new rope, we forgot to tie the cable on
Sixth: My current work order didn't specify I needed to bring the cable, I thought this was termination only.

and so it will go on. Maybe I should be glad fixed wireless is all we'll ever see?
[SweN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 6:10 PM   #1342
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I have previously been told:

"as expected, it's a records issue. the records don't show intact cable paths to your address, probably because there was some weird entry in Telstra's records for your line and thus they failed the import process. your ISP needs to raise it with NBN as an incorrect service class query, it would help if they could demonstrate you have an existing service running to the house (phone, DSL etc)."
yes, I remember typing it in reply to you.

Quote:
This is why it is so frustrating dealing with both Telstra and NBN, I believe the reasons they have given proves that nobody is taking this issue seriously, just plucking excuses from the script. I have asked Telstra to raise an incorrect service class query, but it seems they have ignored this.
it is totally your ISP's responsibility to action this with NBN. you can't do it, NBN don't deal with end users directly - they are a wholesaler. your ISP should be escalating to them, following up every single day, asking for updates, asking when the updates are going to be provided, complaining if they're not provided, and escalating further if the appropriate replies and fix are not forthcoming.

that's their job.

Quote:
I am really at a loss as to how to progress this.
my advice is to pick a better ISP that actually remembers what their job is. and doesn't work on a customer service model of faceless, untrained, inexperienced offshore call centre workers responding to you with a script, and then only when YOU call THEM. I mean, what the fuck is that all about? you're their customer, why should YOU have to drive your supplier's staff to do their jobs?

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
Old 15th September 2017, 6:35 PM   #1343
Ratzz

Quote:

it is totally your ISP's responsibility to action this with NBN. you can't do it, NBN don't deal with end users directly - they are a wholesaler. your ISP should be escalating to them, following up every single day, asking for updates, asking when the updates are going to be provided, complaining if they're not provided, and escalating further if the appropriate replies and fix are not forthcoming.

that's their job.

my advice is to pick a better ISP that actually remembers what their job is. and doesn't work on a customer service model of faceless, untrained, inexperienced offshore call centre workers responding to you with a script, and then only when YOU call THEM. I mean, what the fuck is that all about? you're their customer, why should YOU have to drive your supplier's staff to do their jobs?
My new ISP is in regular contact with me, offering status updates, and even calling me with apologies when they have no news. Its so refreshing. In the words of one of the girls who spoke to me "You just provide the documents you have been asked for. We'll do the fighting, pushing, correcting and messing around for you. That's our job."

Proper customer service. They should charge more. I'd still pay.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 6:54 PM   #1344
caspian

that is excellent, and I mean that with zero sarcasm whatsoever (which is not something that happens a lot around me). shades of too much disillusionment from working in the telco industry.

the NBN has unfortunately invented institutional inertia a lot faster than they have developed capability. there is a range of reasons why that has happened that I won't go into, other than that I do believe that the end user shouldn't have to deal with or understand that shit. it's refreshing to hear they're an advocate for you, after all - it's *their* service. they just resell it to you.

Last edited by caspian; 15th September 2017 at 6:57 PM.
Old 15th September 2017, 7:35 PM   #1345
rogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
My new ISP is in regular contact with me, offering status updates, and even calling me with apologies when they have no news. Its so refreshing. In the words of one of the girls who spoke to me "You just provide the documents you have been asked for. We'll do the fighting, pushing, correcting and messing around for you. That's our job."

Proper customer service. They should charge more. I'd still pay.
I was with Aussie BB for a while and they certainly did try hard to get my NBN connection and agree their communications were top class. I will go back to them when finally the NBN fixes my connection problem. I tried raising a complaint with the TIO against NBN but of course was told I had to name my ISP. I did not pursue it further with the TIO as did not consider it fair on ABB.

Quote:

that's their job.

You are right of course caspian, which is why I will follow up with my TIO complaint regarding Telstra's totally inadequate response to resolve this issue. Mind you though I am quite elderly and have developed quite a large dose of cynicism over the years so still do not expect it to get fixed any day soon.
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 8:12 PM   #1346
BelowAverageIQ

I would change ISP's in a heart beat if I knew they could change something.

But as you know, my problems are two fold:

* Cannot connect for reasons unknown, even though immediate neighbours on same copper run and pit can.

* Nearest Node is 1.5km away.

How would any ISP, least of Telstra be able to resolve that?

I am now at a complete loss as to what I can do.

Sorry to sound like a stuck record.
BelowAverageIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 9:38 AM   #1347
Pugs

Getting NBN via HFC.. can't do Self install.. FWP... I should be able to do Self install... just send me the Arris Box and my RSP's box and let me do the rest... well i might get the tech to run a new line in from the Grey box.. just for shits and giggles... and seeing how there is a joint like 3m form my comms rack...
Pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 10:19 AM   #1348
caspian

HFC self install will be available soon. it sounds simple until all of the possible permutations of doing so are worked through and solved. it should be finished trials and generally available by the end of the year. http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/...ct-Roadmap.pdf

Last edited by caspian; 16th September 2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 16th September 2017, 1:00 PM   #1349
Pugs

Quote:
HFC self install will be available soon. it sounds simple until all of the possible permutations of doing so are worked through and solved. it should be finished trials and generally available by the end of the year. http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/...ct-Roadmap.pdf
not soon enough for me tho...
Pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 1:34 PM   #1350
caspian

given the current install is free, does it matter? it takes a few days for the appointment, but it takes a few days to mail out a SIK too.