Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Old 14th September 2017, 1:50 PM   #26296
scottath

Depends on the deal with Microsoft.

School i work for has a single invoice for Microsoft, that contains a number of things (o365, Servers, Desktops etc). So not free - but bundled into our licencing.

GAPPS is free for education (and unlimited GDrive storage )

For the example - we have GAPPS account for staff and students, but staff have mail with o365. Had to do with distribution groups a while ago i think (inherited this).

Last edited by scottath; 14th September 2017 at 1:55 PM.
scottath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 2:08 PM   #26297
Foliage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
<Shark Tank>
What stops someone from just stealing all your tech and ideas and doing it themselves?
</Shark Tank>
Time. The idea is worthless, it is our execution which is what makes people want it and gives it value. Someone could "steal" the idea and do it themselves. If someone is capable of writing software themselves and has the information we do then the question is why haven't they already done it yet? It was a solid ~2 years of work to get where I am now. I know people in the industry and there is only a handful with either the information or the skills and neither seem to have both at a level we do. There are plenty of good tuners in Australia, there are also plenty of good tech founders, there are however not many tech founders who are also extremely interesting in tuning cars and also have contacts in the OEM market to get internal manufacturer data. You need all 3 to do this successfully.

If they approached an investor it would cost at least 2-300k if they outsourced it to a development company. Then they suffer from the same issues our competitors do which is tech debt. Most of them pay an outsourced software company a lot of money to build them a solution. The problem with this software is it is never "done". You need people constantly adding features and tweaking it which means in house tech. Our competitors hardly ever update their software. Customers call them up and wait 6+ months for features to be added, most of the time they just say no leaving the customer with no solution no matter how much cash they have in their pocket as there are multiple items that no one can do except us currently.

The biggest selling features are we are Australian based so they can call us direct and say I need feature X. Currently they go through 3 distributors to a US company who doesn't care about Australia, most the time they won't add features or provide any support at all let alone talk to them directly. They also charge them an absolute shitload for this poor service as there is hardly any competition.

We also support Australian cars primarily, the other companies are US cars, Australian cars second which means they are always lacking features clients want, they also do not have anyone on the ground to test features out and have to fly a team over from the US. This is super expensive so it almost never happens.

We store all our IP behind a web API, so for someone to crack our software they would have to hack our server, even then they would only get access to the IP they have already purchased. Our competitors store it all in their local software on your PC and is easily cracked.
  • So copying the idea is unlikely as there just doesn't seem to be anyone available with the information we have AND the skillset we have that isn't already working on another project.
  • Cracking and ripping off the idea is more difficult than our competitors which have not been publically cracked to date (though there are people privately sending around cracked copies).
  • Copying the idea, getting VC and outsourcing development will result in a more expensive and inferior product as has been seen by everyone who has tried this to date.

Last edited by Foliage; 14th September 2017 at 2:15 PM.
Foliage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 2:24 PM   #26298
miicah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutS View Post
Student 365 acc's for free? Interesting.
Yep, every kid in QLD at a state school (even preps) get access to Office 365 Suite and email.

Staff get the suite as well (for free), reduced cost Window 10 and basically free Adobe CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
far too many things to take into account to make a comment here.

Are you both part of the same forest/domain?
Corp has their own domain but I think we are all on the same forest.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 3:40 PM   #26299
GreyWolfe01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
We also support Australian cars primarily, the other companies are US cars, Australian cars second which means they are always lacking features clients want, they also do not have anyone on the ground to test features out and have to fly a team over from the US. This is super expensive so it almost never happens.
Curiously, considering there are no 'Australian cars' anymore (once Holden closes down), how does this matter?

I know the locally delivered ones have mildly different suspension tunes, but I wouldn't say the engine maps are that much different anymore?
Mi Goreng Noodle Club member #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman
Meh, she couldn't really turn me on either, might have had something to do with her adverse fear of penises - except when they're in her vagina.
GreyWolfe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 4:11 PM   #26300
EvilGenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
Curiously, considering there are no 'Australian cars' anymore (once Holden closes down), how does this matter?

I know the locally delivered ones have mildly different suspension tunes, but I wouldn't say the engine maps are that much different anymore?
Depends, could just as easily be fuel differences. Standard fuel in the EU is 95RON. 91RON here in AU, which is why when carmakers get lazy, like holden, and import an EU vehicle such as the new Astra, it ends up requiring premium fuel only.
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 5:35 PM   #26301
GreyWolfe01

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Depends, could just as easily be fuel differences. Standard fuel in the EU is 95RON. 91RON here in AU, which is why when carmakers get lazy, like holden, and import an EU vehicle such as the new Astra, it ends up requiring premium fuel only.
Current ECUs readjust on the run anyway.

I'm just curious as to how much this kind of tech is required for new cars (as opposed to older cars).

Quote:
Meh, she couldn't really turn me on either, might have had something to do with her adverse fear of penises - except when they're in her vagina.
Old 14th September 2017, 5:37 PM   #26302
TehCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutS View Post
Student 365 acc's for free? Interesting.

My daughter is in a Catholic School and she has google apps account, wonder if it is free or we subsidise it via school fees.
Yes, Office 365 for Education Faculty and Office 365 for Education Student are both free.
These are, more or less, equivalent to an E1 style plan.
Education E5 plans have associated costs, but dramtically lwoer than standard E5
Proplus for Student and ProPlus for faculty are also basically $3.00 each or less

I think GApps does it for free also..
TehCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 6:09 PM   #26303
fredhoon

Quote:

I'm just curious as to how much this kind of tech is required for new cars (as opposed to older cars).
They can only readjust within a fixed margin/trim from the basemap. Cars and modern ECUs are built to a price and have many compromises to produce a target power level while complying with ever more onerous emissions limits.

The consequences of poor fuel octane rating is detected by knock events and adjusted via retarding timing. Due to the difficulty of knock detection this is a lagging adjustment and limited in RPM range to avoid false positives (more expensive aftermaket ECUs and/or performance cars will use windowing to improve this). Thus an ECU running near the limit of its margin/trim is more susceptible to damaging an engine in adverse conditions (i.e. labouring engine, poor fuel, hot day).
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon

Last edited by fredhoon; 14th September 2017 at 6:13 PM.
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 6:21 PM   #26304
EvilGenius

Quote:

Your sub 30K astra will not retune for 91ron. If it says 95 or 98 only and you run it on 91 the car will eventually shag itself and holden will happily pull the logs showing the substandard fuel and leave you swinging.
Old 14th September 2017, 7:28 PM   #26305
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankpaper View Post
I haven't watched that show but it seems equal parts amusing (schadenfreude style) and frustrating as all fuck (because of smug panelists).
Watched one show, turned it off half way, never went back.

Three things in life that shit me to tears:

* Wantrepreneurs
* Smug fuckers with money who think they're good at business because they were in the right place at the right time by accident
* Reality TV cut for morons that repeats itself every few minutes

That show ticks every one of my trigger boxes, and will never appear on my television again.

Hell, my wife is away at the moment, and free-to-air TV hasn't once appeared on any screen in the house the entire time she's been gone. The kids and I consume entirely streaming services now.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 8:46 PM   #26306
GreyWolfe01

Quote:
Your sub 30K astra will not retune for 91ron. If it says 95 or 98 only and you run it on 91 the car will eventually shag itself and holden will happily pull the logs showing the substandard fuel and leave you swinging.
You aren't putting your sub-30K astra into a tuner

Quote:
Old 14th September 2017, 9:17 PM   #26307
EvilGenius

Quote:
You aren't putting your sub-30K astra into a tuner
Of course not, the tuner goes in the car silly.

Old 14th September 2017, 9:48 PM   #26308
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
* Reality TV cut for morons that repeats itself every few minutes
I don't understand how anyone can put up with the above.

The reality TV format in general shits me and I can't sit through it without playing bullshit bingo, much to my wife's disgust when she's trying to watch Masterchef / Cooking et al. That said she's finally figured out that Reality TV is just the same "personality conflict" plot in a a variety of different settings and it's just not worth losing brain cells over it.

Repetitive editing (and sensationalising facts) effects far too much content these days, just to pad out the airtime I suppose. I can't enjoy Air Crash Investigation (or anything made by Nat Geo & its relatives) due to the repetition, no matter how interesting to subject matter.
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 9:52 PM   #26309
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Of course not, the tuner goes in the car silly.

looktall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 10:13 PM   #26310
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
I don't understand how anyone can put up with the above.

The reality TV format in general shits me and I can't sit through it without playing bullshit bingo, much to my wife's disgust when she's trying to watch Masterchef / Cooking et al. That said she's finally figured out that Reality TV is just the same "personality conflict" plot in a a variety of different settings and it's just not worth losing brain cells over it.

Repetitive editing (and sensationalising facts) effects far too much content these days, just to pad out the airtime I suppose. I can't enjoy Air Crash Investigation (or anything made by Nat Geo & its relatives) due to the repetition, no matter how interesting to subject matter.
Oh man, it really is aimed at the low end of the intellectual spectrum. Zero doubts. And having seen inside the belly of the beast, it's not much better in there.

What drives me absolutely fucking bananas is the constant repeating of content. Typically before/after advertising breaks, but not necessarily. I mean, I don't have a terribly high opinion of the average human being at the best of times, but reality TV audiences convince me the whole lot need to be purged and we should start again.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote