Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Other Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th May 2017, 2:49 PM   #5806
daehenoc

I'm using shepherd as well, there's something wrong with the guide data for SBS VICELAND, but I haven't been bothered to try to fix it - check the shepherd mailing list to see if anyone else is having the same problems as you.
daehenoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 25th June 2017, 8:21 PM   #5807
daehenoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daehenoc View Post
Hah, finally got around to trying again with the replacement of the frontend and backend. I got the audio splitter and played around with the audio settings of the frontend today. I got it working by using the following settings:

Code:
Audio output device: ALSA:hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 (tick Dolby Digital and DTS)
Speaker config: 5.1
However, this only resulted in two channels being passed, as the TV tells the NUC that it has only two speakers. I used the following setting in the Advanced Audio Settings to get 5.1 passed without relying on whatever the TV was telling my NUC:

Code:
Separate digital output device: ALSA:hdmi
Which passes 5.1 audio out the HDMI output, and is correctly pulled off by the SPDIF splitter to my amp, hooray! So I can now have the NUC frontend and NUC backend that I've been working towards, huzzah!
GRRR. Nothing has changed, but the frontend doesn't feckin' do 5.1 out anymore. I've coaxed stereo out of it (after a lot of dicking around).

It's either a replacement receiver or a replacement frontend next.
Old 26th June 2017, 7:47 PM   #5808
daehenoc

Yes, I can get a replacement receiver. For my situation for now, I am going to get a replacement frontend

Looking for recommendations for an ITX type system that has an NVIDIA video card, HDMI out and optical SPDIF out, thanks!
Old 27th June 2017, 10:49 AM   #5809
kreegor

Quote:
Yes, I can get a replacement receiver. For my situation for now, I am going to get a replacement frontend

Looking for recommendations for an ITX type system that has an NVIDIA video card, HDMI out and optical SPDIF out, thanks!
Do you want it to run MythTv frontend or a different frontend (e.g. Kodi)?
kreegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 1:09 PM   #5810
daehenoc

mythtv frontend - with the AV setup that I have, I want to have HDMI video out direct to the TV (that way when the TV switches input sources, the HDMI link between the TV and the frontend isn't lost, with the NUC and the SPDIF splitter in the HDMI link, if the TV switches video inputs, when it is switched back to the NUC frontend, the video is lost), and optical SPDIF directly to the receiver (current receiver does not do HDMI switching, yes I will get a newer receiver at some point!).
Old 27th June 2017, 2:00 PM   #5811
kreegor

Quote:
mythtv frontend - with the AV setup that I have, I want to have HDMI video out direct to the TV (that way when the TV switches input sources, the HDMI link between the TV and the frontend isn't lost, with the NUC and the SPDIF splitter in the HDMI link, if the TV switches video inputs, when it is switched back to the NUC frontend, the video is lost), and optical SPDIF directly to the receiver (current receiver does not do HDMI switching, yes I will get a newer receiver at some point!).
Have you tried one of these?

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

or

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/154/in...mi-cec-adapter

I had a pulse eight HDMI for a while and it worked pretty well after some configuration.
kreegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 9:07 PM   #5812
daehenoc

Cool, looks like a good solution.

I've actually tossed[0] the NUC in favor of an ITX build - reused the ITX Asus motherboard that I was using before the NUC (glad I didn't get around to selling it!) and rebuilt it into a Silverstone ML06B-E (only available retail in AU from Scorptec... went with the -E model to get the extra space for a video card, and the video card is not right beside the PS).

So now I have my digital audio coming out of my frontend via SPDIF straight to my receiver, and I got a new NVIDIA GT710 video card to use VDPAU on. A bit of messing around today and it's all working beautifully

0 - not literally thrown it out, but it won't be the frontend in the lounge any more!
Old 26th July 2017, 7:44 AM   #5813
daehenoc

The new case that I've got has a space and a tray in the top for mounting a slot-load DVD or BluRay drive. I've got a PS4 that does DVD/BluRay duty already, what's the support like in mythtv for DVD/BluRay playing? Last time I checked it would use an external s/w for playing a disc.

Edit: Link found after 5 seconds of googling: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Def...n_Disk_Formats
Edit: There seems to be one of these types of drive available off eBay: 12.7mm Internal Sata Slot Load Blu-Ray Combo Dvd Cd Burner Rewriter Optic Drive

But has anyone here actually used MythTV for BluRay playback?

Last edited by daehenoc; 26th July 2017 at 7:54 AM.